Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mixing ages
Josiegirl 03:37 AM 02-25-2015
How on earth does everyone do it?? I know some of you cater to just one group, I know some no longer take school age kids. But this week is vacation and I have ages 19 months-almost 8 yo. Today there will be 9 kids, the most I'll have all week. They're all great kids, alone. But the dynamics are so hard to keep up with when they're all together.

I've been planning lots of stuff to do with the older kids but finding, in doing so, the littler ones are 'just playing' all day long.

Man, I just don't know how you guys combine all the ages and keep everyone happy and busy.

And it's sooo aggravating to watch the older ones. All the dcks 4 and under are really good at keeping themselves busy but my 3 older ones...I can't tell you how many times I walked through the living room and they were all just sitting there. I'm going 'really guys???' All they want is their electronics. I've allowed them thus far, during quiet time. But I think that's coming to an end. I've been so wishy washy all this time but this week has pushed my limits. I cannot stand anybody else asking Siri to 'show me pictures of rainbow colored unicorn poop'.

Is it just me or has the kidworld gone nuts?
mamamanda 05:53 AM 02-25-2015
Electronics have caused kids to not be able to entertain themselves well at all & even limited time with them in daycare has always caused me issues. I just have a set rule of no electronics allowed during childcare. That will be harder to enforce with the older group, but kids can learn to be responsible for their own fun without relying on an electronic device. I tell my preschoolers "boredom is the catalyst to a great adventure." They looked so confused when I first said that, but they are learning that means use your imagination and have some fun. I think older kids need to learn that too.
lilcupcakes09 06:37 AM 02-25-2015
I am so right there with you!! I have 6 SAs, 2 two year olds, and an infant which is my own. Because of the difficulty taking care of the older ones, I have decided right now I'm not taking any other younger ones. The older ones are so difficult to keep occupied! I have 2 that are very "electronically reliant", and I I just let them sit and stare into space if they can't find anything to do. I'm not going to entertain at their age. Planned activities are a race to see who can finish first. Generally the olders kids are just worried about what one another are doing. Winter is very rough. If it's warm enough for the littles to be outside, we are outside, it's the only way I keep my sanity!
Unregistered 06:58 AM 02-25-2015
For sa kids on technology withdrawal, I go one of two directions.
1. Open-ended with no rules. Boxes, tape, plastic junk, to build with. Or
2. Lots of rules. Games, Uno, yahtzee, monopoly, or buidling toys that come with a set of pics of things they can make. Lincoln logs, magnet blocks, etc.

Each day set out one type of activity and direct them back to that area. The next day, give the opposite type of activity.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:06 AM 02-25-2015
A few main thoughts come to mind:

My school-agers absolute favorite thing to do is make, make, make with open-ended stuff. Paper, markers, junk, tape, hot glue gun, and they'll be satisfied for hours on end. Totally appropriate for the littles, too.

"Just playing" all day is a great way to learn. Especially when they have older kids around to model their play on.

Whenever a school-ager is looking lost, I ask them to read to some of the littles. Everyone's happy.
MsLisa 09:13 AM 02-25-2015
I'm a Before & Aftercare Coordinator so my days are filled with 16 school aged kids. I can not stand the way kids are these days.

If I don't have the computer on or Wii going they will literally try to kill each other, destroy the room, all while whining i'm bored. Mind you, the room is packed with everything from Legos to doll houses to playdoh and board games. Everything a kid could possibly want and I keep adding to it. Nope. If they don't get to stare at a screen, the world ends and they will even be ballsy enough to bring their own.
I offer them a craft every day coordinating with our "theme" and I may get like 2 out 16 kids to do it. Most of the time no one. Its depressing. Even during the gym time they can't just play, its "mean girl syndrome" and someone is always taking it too far. They are never just happy or content.

When I help out downstairs in with the Pre-K and under groups, oh my gosh is it beautiful. They run around dressed up in pretend play, building lincoln log cities, and thrilled just to sit next to you and do a puzzle or color. I miss that! What the hell happens to that?!?! I can't figure it out.
Josiegirl 09:49 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
I'm a Before & Aftercare Coordinator so my days are filled with 16 school aged kids. I can not stand the way kids are these days.

If I don't have the computer on or Wii going they will literally try to kill each other, destroy the room, all while whining i'm bored. Mind you, the room is packed with everything from Legos to doll houses to playdoh and board games. Everything a kid could possibly want and I keep adding to it. Nope. If they don't get to stare at a screen, the world ends and they will even be ballsy enough to bring their own.
I offer them a craft every day coordinating with our "theme" and I may get like 2 out 16 kids to do it. Most of the time no one. Its depressing. Even during the gym time they can't just play, its "mean girl syndrome" and someone is always taking it too far. They are never just happy or content.

When I help out downstairs in with the Pre-K and under groups, oh my gosh is it beautiful. They run around dressed up in pretend play, building lincoln log cities, and thrilled just to sit next to you and do a puzzle or color. I miss that! What the hell happens to that?!?! I can't figure it out.
Oh I agree! Two of my 3 SA kiddos are like zombies when they've got their electronics. They know my rule, they come in with them in their hands in the a.m., I tell them they can keep them til breakfast is served, then they get them again at quiet time. As soon as their parents come, they grab them out of the cubby and they become instant zombies again, no good bye, nothing.

I really hate to ban them completely because let's face it, there must be some merit to them, hand/eye coordination, new skills learned, strategies, something. (I'm reaching here) And it does keep me from hearing I'M BORED all darn day.

What I don't understand is I have a 4 yo dcg who attends prek 4 a.m.s a week, brings her Tablet to school, then here. Aren't parents afraid of things getting stolen or broken?? It happens!

The 2 older dcks were playing their ipods yesterday during naptime. I took a peek to see what they were playing. To me it looked so dumb and mindless. I told them when I was their age, I was cutting out paper dolls. They just looked at me weird.

I'm seriously thinking after this next summer I'm only taking dcks until they start school.
Thriftylady 09:50 AM 02-25-2015
I struggle with the school agers. I much prefer the younger set, but don't have any yet.
Unregistered 09:50 AM 02-25-2015

Lazy parenting is what happened.
laundrymom 11:59 AM 02-25-2015
I don't allow screen time here.
No matter the age.
Even when I took SA I didn't allow it.

MsLisa 09:27 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Lazy parenting is what happened.
VERY VERY TRUE!!!!!!

PreK & under room is full of "special snowflake" kids. The kind of moms/dads who eat-sleep-breathe their child's every move. The "never say no" parents who complain at the drop of a hat. Equally annoying but the kids are wonderful and full of creative life. A new toy to them is gold and they will practically fall over each other to play with you.

My room...I call it the "Land of Lost Toys" cause its the complete opposite. The parents will do ANYTHING to not see their child. Pick them up late, put them in other classes, or even throw them into the "babysitting" room next door just so they can "work out". These kids get no love or attention and thus ask for it in the worst ways. Probably why I spoil them a little. But they truly do not know how to play nice and fair. No one is around to teach them manners, morals or simple pleasures. They lie, cheat, steal, whine, and are generally never appreciate anything. I try to fix this, but only get them 3-5hrs every day. I'm obviously not a miracle worker.

Ok, enough thread jacking.
I do take electronics away when they get time outs or fight over it. And if they get a note sent home by me its all gone for a week. I have 3 currently "grounded" for a week and they don't know what to do with themselves. lol. Oh well buddy, welcome to my childhood...now go play with the playdoh.
proudmommyofthree 09:56 AM 02-26-2015
I have mostly school agers now, and it is very hard. I have all sorts of games, crafts, activities and toys for them to play. All I hear is "I'm bored!" I tell them there is plenty of stuff to do , go find something and play.

But what bothers me is when parents come to me and say, so and so needs more activities to do here, so she's going to bring her ipad so she's not bored" OMG that just bugs me. Why do parents have to give in. (by the way this is a child who is 4 year old) I told dcm that there is plenty to do here, she chooses not to do them. She still brings her Ipad every single day.

Electronics is doing harm to kids these days, and it's very sad.
Reply Up