Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rain getting in the way of our Halloween Party
daycare 11:50 AM 10-24-2016
This friday we will have Halloween Party. In addition to my normal capacity, I got it approved with LIC for my children who don't normally attend on Friday to come to the party only with their parent.

issue is that the party is normally always held outside. Now with the forecast of rain, that won't be possible and there is NO WAY my house can hold all of the dcks, plus a parent and maybe even a sibling or two. I think I would actually be over fire capacity due to having to be all inside too. I have to check with my FM.

so now I am trying to figure out what to do. I would feel horrible if I had to tell families and kids no party, only for the DCKS that normally pay to attend on that day.....

Also, all of my activities are mostly gross-motor games, so I would need to change all of that too.

yeah we dont get much rain where I live so we tend to freak out when we get some....lol
daycare 02:09 PM 10-24-2016
which would you do?

cancel all together?

limit to only the kids that we expect to attend on a normal day, which would be 12 kids and no parents.

don't allow any siblings to attend, which would only cut out about 4 kids?

reschedule for another day?
Blackcat31 02:23 PM 10-24-2016
Can you rent a tent? Like the ones they use at weddings etc? Google tent rentals in your area. Most have websites so you can easily see what they offer.

We have a place here in my community that rents these types of tents. They come set up and take down the whole works for you. You can get just a canopy style tent or you can get sides for it too so that it creates a completely enclosed "building" for those times in which the weather does not cooperate.

You can get one as small as 15 ft x 15 ft or one as large as 200 ft x 200 ft. so the sizing options are pretty big.

They look something like this: (this one pictured has the side walls)

finsup 02:26 PM 10-24-2016
Maybe have a back up day in mind and let parents know the "rain date" is such and such, and when you'll call it by? There's still time! The weather could change by Friday
daycare 02:38 PM 10-24-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you rent a tent? Like the ones they use at weddings etc? Google tent rentals in your area. Most have websites so you can easily see what they offer.

We have a place here in my community that rents these types of tents. They come set up and take down the whole works for you. You can get just a canopy style tent or you can get sides for it too so that it creates a completely enclosed "building" for those times in which the weather does not cooperate.

You can get one as small as 15 ft x 15 ft or one as large as 200 ft x 200 ft. so the sizing options are pretty big.

They look something like this: (this one pictured has the side walls)

lol we have one of these that we just took down. The first rain came in so strong that the roof on it caved in. I do have a fully covered patio, that is quite large, problem with that is the ground floods out..
Controlled Chaos 02:50 PM 10-24-2016
wow you must be having some real weather!

Wish I had a magic answer. I think telling parents a rain day is a good plan.
Magic 07:06 AM 10-25-2016
I didn't know it rained on Mars
I live in the Wet Coast ..so rain is always an issue
and I am facing the same thing but
my party on Sat after noon
I can get them all in the house ...
and yes my yard will be a massive puddle
rubber boots I am sure will be a theme
we are dealing with wind and rain storm a lots these days and it effecting decorating for I do the yard up
I have pop up tents with xmas lights ex...
the only thing I can think of for you is mabye the back up day ..for little kids partys are big ..so to cancell or short list will make many sad
keep us posted
Crazy8 11:46 AM 10-26-2016
can you just do it on Monday on Halloween instead?

If that's not an option I would just say that due to the weather the Halloween celebration will just be a small indoor celebration for the children scheduled to attend that day.
lovemykidstoo 04:03 PM 10-26-2016
Do you have a garage you could use? Or basement? If not, I would do an alternate day.
daycare 05:21 PM 10-26-2016
I dont have a basement here, not common in CA.

I can't use my garage, it's off limits to the daycare kids.

It looks like worst case, I am going to reschedule for Monday!
Reply Up