Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview on Tuesday!
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:59 PM 09-02-2015
I'm excited! I finally have another interview set up I just got married in May and I moved to another town, so I've been trying to get some children in all summer. I had a 7 yr old this summer (but she's been with me wherever I am since she was 15 months. Her parents are GREAT), but she was my only one and she's back in school now. Then I had an interview for a 3 yr old girl for two days a week and it went good. Her mom gave me a start day and all that...then no showed. Used the excuse of bad traffic and wasn't going to work that day. Then she told me she'd be gone for a couple weeks on vacation and would let me know when they got back and apologized for August being so crazy. I didn't expect to hear back, but she contacted me again today to see if I was still available to start her next week. I agreed since her daughter seems to be a good fit. But she's getting a sheet of policies asap. Then I got a lot of inquires about infants this week, which I had to turn down since I am not currently set up for baby care. But today I got a bite from a CL ad for a 3 yr old girl full time. And mom has already asked to set up a day and time to meet. So they will be here on Tuesday! The girl sounds like a great fit also, so I am feeling hopeful! Since I'm in an apartment, I hope it doesn't scare them away. The entrance to the building smells like smoke since the other tenants smoke. But our apartment itself does not. So praying this works out!
Any advice to help me stand out a little during the interview from the other providers who have a nice house with nice backyard and all? And any information I need to cover during the interview?
happymom 02:29 PM 09-02-2015
Where are you located?

As a parent, the smoke smell would be a turn off to me. Even though it's not a reflection of you. I'd be concerned about how often my child got to play outside in an apartment setting and what the outdoor areas were like.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:43 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
Where are you located?

As a parent, the smoke smell would be a turn off to me. Even though it's not a reflection of you. I'd be concerned about how often my child got to play outside in an apartment setting and what the outdoor areas were like.
I know I don't like the living situation, that our neighbors smoke. But I can't make them stop. All I can do is provide our apartment itself as a smoke free place. You can't smell it in ours. I bring the children outside every day that weather permits. We're just down the street maybe two blocks from a playground, less than a mile from a nice big park with two playgrounds, and maybe three blocks from the library and swimming pool. I would get the parent's permission for any of this, of course. But I can't stand to be inside all day, so going outside and walking to the playground is just part of our day. There is also a nice big concrete area between the two apartment buildings where no cars are allowed to park, so the children have this area to ride the riding toys, draw with chalk, play with bubbles, etc. Plus there's a fence there, so they'd have to get past me to go anywhere. So even though we don't have our own yard, I make the best of it and provide that outdoor play that children need.
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:58 AM 09-03-2015
Does anyone have advice for during the interview?
hope 09:38 AM 09-03-2015
When you give your tour I would walk them through the outdoor space so they can see how you are more than an apartment. Have your handbook printed out and go over everything in it. Ask some interview questions to get a feel for their parenting style. One thing I like to do that is extra is to put some cut up lemons and cinnamon in a pot of water on my stove for a few hours before they arrive. Makes everything smell fresh. Good luck!
Tags:interview
Reply Up