Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wow!
BumbleBee 01:12 PM 01-12-2013
I just finished up an interview with a prospective parent. We got to the rates section and I gave her the rate for 3 full days (what she needs).

She looks at the sheet, looks at me, looks at the sheet again, looks at me and goes:

"That just doesn't seem like enough! Are you sure that's the total?"

I told her yes, it's the correct total. Then she goes:

"How about we agree on $xx.xx ($10.00 higher than the original) instead of $xx.xx (original rate) okay?"

I usually don't negotiate rates but wow....I didn't expect that!
mbullette 01:27 PM 01-12-2013
You are lucky!!! Most of the families I interview complain about the prices, why they have to pay for vacation days, holidays, sick day and so on. I wish everyone was like that. Awesome for you!!!
MarinaVanessa 02:48 PM 01-12-2013
That's amazing. I half expected you to say that she thought your rates were too high, not that they were too low. She obviously know what the price of a goof caretaker should be. I hope you take her up on her offer. If you ever raise your rates just make sure you don't raise theirs .
Blackcat31 03:43 PM 01-12-2013
I interviewed a family like that last summer. DCM literally INSISTED that I be paid for times I didn't normally charge. I charge for holidays and two vacations but not for personal days. This mom insisted that she pay me for those days too stating that I work hard and should be paid accordingly.

I thought cool.

She is still enrolled but I have to say, she is the most difficult client I have.

She doesn't fight me over policies and payments at all but more about parenting. Weird things but things that had I known that this "golden family" was really more of a "gold-plated family" I would have thought twice about enrolling.

Hoping that your new enrollee turns out to be just as wonderful ALL the time and not just during the interview.
bunnyslippers 04:44 PM 01-12-2013
I charge about $25-50 more per week then my competition. I live in a fairly competitive area...the whole "my kid goes here and it is way better" attitude. I have found that my families are always willing to pay more, because they view me as the top notch daycare in the area. I did NOTHING to warrant that, except from the beginning, I charged way more. I now have the attitude of being a "snotty" daycare. It has worked for us! Aim high!!!!
BumbleBee 04:45 PM 01-12-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
You are lucky!!! Most of the families I interview complain about the prices, why they have to pay for vacation days, holidays, sick day and so on. I wish everyone was like that. Awesome for you!!!
Yeah, that's what I usually get to. Had a parent hand me their payment a few weeks ago and begin complaining about how he doesn't have $$ for the weekend now & why was it so expensive to just sit around and watch a bunch of kids. I told him he was free to look for cheaper child care. That shut him up pretty quick.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
That's amazing. I half expected you to say that she thought your rates were too high, not that they were too low. She obviously know what the price of a goof caretaker should be. I hope you take her up on her offer. If you ever raise your rates just make sure you don't raise theirs .
Honestly I thought that's what she was going to say to. I was gearing up for my "Rates are set, take it or leave it" speech but then she said that and I was speechless.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I interviewed a family like that last summer. DCM literally INSISTED that I be paid for times I didn't normally charge. I charge for holidays and two vacations but not for personal days. This mom insisted that she pay me for those days too stating that I work hard and should be paid accordingly.

I thought cool.

She is still enrolled but I have to say, she is the most difficult client I have.

She doesn't fight me over policies and payments at all but more about parenting. Weird things but things that had I known that this "golden family" was really more of a "gold-plated family" I would have thought twice about enrolling.

Hoping that your new enrollee turns out to be just as wonderful ALL the time and not just during the interview.
Yeah, the pessimistic side of me thought "is she going to hang this over my head when I won't do special?" I didn't get the 'special' vibe from her but my skills in that department aren't honed(sp?) quite yet.
cheerfuldom 06:20 PM 01-12-2013
I would insist on receiving only my going rate.

I am always suspicious of parents wanting to do more. I can totally see a parent saying "oh why dont you consider my extra $10 a week as the late fee for today" or "can you make sure that junior has chocolate milk instead of regular milk? since I pay you more anyway?"
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 01-13-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would insist on receiving only my going rate.

I am always suspicious of parents wanting to do more. I can totally see a parent saying "oh why dont you consider my extra $10 a week as the late fee for today" or "can you make sure that junior has chocolate milk instead of regular milk? since I pay you more anyway?"
That is exactly where my mind went too. I hate to sound so pessimistic or jaded but sometimes things are right there in black and white but we still fail to see the "signs".

Especially when the red flags come in disguise as "gifts" or "perks".

I have a DCM that I am fairly friendly with. We have talked about personal things much more than I ever have with any family I have had in care.

Over Christmas she texted me and asked if she paid me two days later than normal if I would still charge her a late fee.

When I said yes, she said "Oh. (long pause)....so all the those coffees from Starbucks don't count for anything then?"

I was like "Seriously?!?"

If I had thought she was only bringing me coffee so that she could get "special" later on, I would have never accepted them.
cheerfuldom 09:22 AM 01-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is exactly where my mind went too. I hate to sound so pessimistic or jaded but sometimes things are right there in black and white but we still fail to see the "signs".

Especially when the red flags come in disguise as "gifts" or "perks".

I have a DCM that I am fairly friendly with. We have talked about personal things much more than I ever have with any family I have had in care.

Over Christmas she texted me and asked if she paid me two days later than normal if I would still charge her a late fee.

When I said yes, she said "Oh. (long pause)....so all the those coffees from Starbucks don't count for anything then?"

I was like "Seriously?!?"

If I had thought she was only bringing me coffee so that she could get "special" later on, I would have never accepted them.
EXACTLY! I had one mom that kept offering "free" toys and games saying that they dont use them at home anymore. I tried to say no every single time....in an upbeat way of course. "Oh you dont have to do that! We have some similar games that the kids love. Why dont you keep that for little Aimee to use when her friends come over?" down the road, I could clearly see that she was positioning for some special treatment and could also see that her 3 year old was very high maintenance.

so BC what happened after you told the mom no about the late fees?? any more Starbucks?

Isnt it sad that we cant just accept something nice or free without being paranoid about what the parents want in return? I gift things to my daughters school classroom and fund raise for them and have never asked for special treatment! I would never think to try and manipulate that way.
Blackcat31 04:35 PM 01-13-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
so BC what happened after you told the mom no about the late fees?? any more Starbucks?
As a matter of fact, I haven't gotten a single one.

In her defense though, they were still on vacation a week longer than I was and just returned last Monday so we'll see....I usually get about 2-3 per month.
EchoMom 05:37 PM 01-13-2013
While taking the extra "bonus" would be super tempting, and I'm sure in the situation I'd say yes at first too... I think I would have to go back to the person and say on second thought, I am so flattered, but these are the rates I have decided are fair and I want it to be the same for everyone. Thank you so much for the huge compliment, but we'll stick to the regular contracted rate.

I would worry it was a red flag that the child is going to be a HANDFUL and she's trying to sweeten the pot so you won't term.

Also, yes, maybe it's cynical but hearing others thoughts, I agree. It is way way way to easy for things to be thrown back in your face (I know from experience...)

I had a DCM get MAD when I charged her a late fee once. Was she mad about the fee? No. She was mad because, "you didn't charge me all those other times, so why now!" Ugh, seriously?!

Or a DCM I had for a year kept constantly trying to give me toys they "didn't want" anymore and always offering me hand me down clothes for my DS. I told her to only give me toys that were a "donation" not anything she would ever expect to get back because I could not agree to that. I never did accept any clothes from her. After a year I had to term them for chronic tardiness, suddenly, she wanted her toys back! Some of which I didn't even have anymore!

And another family we attended their daughter's baptism, my husband played softball with them, etc. and then they got super offended because anytime they had an issue with me or I changed any policy I always thought I was being polite and professional saying, "If this doesnt' work for you, I totally understand and wish you all the luck finding a childcare situation that suits you better." She was super offended that I didn't "value them" as customers and that I treated them as "disposable." UGH.
Reply Up