Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Non-Immunized Children In Day Care Facilities
saluki1974 08:40 AM 10-29-2010
I was recently notified that my child care facility was accepting a child that was not immunized for religious reasons.

I have a child that is under 1 year in this facility who is going through their immunization period, but won't have all their shots and be considered "immunized" until ~after 1 year of age.

My concern is that my infant could contract an illness that the immunizations are intended to prevent. I have spoken to 3 different pediatricians who all have recommended that I keep my infant away from risk until they are fully immunized.

I recognize the personal beliefs of others to not immunize their children for whatever reason whether I agree with it or not, in most cases the only person they are potentially putting in harms way is themselves.

What rights do I have as a parent other than removing my child from the facility until they are fully immunized? This is my 3rd child to attend this facility and frankly I don't feel that I should have to go anywhere. If someone comes in and puts my child at risk, do I not have rights for myself?

the facility has dedicated age group rooms, but it is very common for the teachers to move around and switch rooms during the day, all the children play on the same equipment and the infant room is passed by to get to all the other rooms. Most of the concerned illnesses are airborne which can be easily circulated through standard ventilation or by people as well. Another concern is that even immunized persons can transmit viruses and expose others to them.

do i have the right to know which vaccinations the child has exempted from
can i demand that the facility put in more stringent measures to lock down ventilation in the infant room and sterilize the teachers as they enter the room etc?

what liability does the facility have if my child should get seriously ill
what disclosure other than they have a child not immunized is the facility required to give?
BentleysBands 11:32 AM 10-29-2010
ouch!

this is a very touchy subject for alot of providers...i personally do not allow those who wait to give shots for the risks. can you call your local SS and ask or maybe go to the director of your facility? i really have no advice but wish you the best!!
kendallina 12:49 PM 10-29-2010
I'm not sure you have a lot of recourse here. Most (if not all) states allow public schools to exempt children from immunizations for religious reasons and there are some states where you can be exempt without having to give a reason. Obviously, that's public school and a lot different than a private child care that has young babies in their care. But, a lot of private childcare use the state law as their own rule... have you spoken to the director about your concern?

As I see it, my child goes to the store, is around friends all the time, plays at the playground and I don't check anyone's immunization records that played there before us. I figure we do the best we can to protect our children and then try not to worry about the rest.

In case my personal viewpoint on immunizations matters, I immunize my daughter on a very delayed schedule.

Good luck
daysofelijah 01:43 PM 10-29-2010
How did you become aware of this information? Does your daycare share private medical records with all the parents?

eta: I do not immunize my 3 children and run a daycare out of my home. I don't think your in child is in any danger and would stop worrying so much about it.
marniewon 07:44 PM 10-31-2010
I would be way more concerned that your childcare facility is sharing personal medical info with others than the fact that there is ONE non-immunized child attending there. Like a pp said, you can get "germs" from non/under-immunized people everywhere you go! You can't control the rest of the world, and you can't even control your childcare center, so your best bet is just to stop worrying what you can't control and focus on what you can.

It sounds like you want to hear that this family should be made to leave this daycare because you've been there longer. It's not against the law to not be immunized, and and it's not even against licensing standards to no be immunized - as long as that family signs a waiver.

My 3 teenagers were all immunized when they were supposed to be. However, if I knew then what I know now, there's no way I would immunize them....or at the very least, I would delay them until their little immune systems were stronger and better able to handle the viruses put into their little bodies! Now that I know more, we do not get the flu shots, my dd did not get the guardia (or whatever that's called, to prevent cervical cancer) and they won't. Not until they are old enough to make their own decisions and choose to get them (which they won't).

The people who choose not to immunize their children are not giving them a death sentence, nor are they abusive or neglectful. They choose not to immunize because of their research into immunizations, and understand the risks to both (immunizing and NOT immunizing).

I would welcome a non-immunized child into my daycare, as I would consider them very informed parents. And once your child turns one, and has all the immunizations, then you are home free, because no one who's been immunized ever comes down with that sickness, right?
misol 09:11 AM 11-01-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I would be way more concerned that your childcare facility is sharing personal medical info with others than the fact that there is ONE non-immunized child attending there. Like a pp said, you can get "germs" from non/under-immunized people everywhere you go! You can't control the rest of the world, and you can't even control your childcare center, so your best bet is just to stop worrying what you can't control and focus on what you can.

It sounds like you want to hear that this family should be made to leave this daycare because you've been there longer. It's not against the law to not be immunized, and and it's not even against licensing standards to no be immunized - as long as that family signs a waiver.

My 3 teenagers were all immunized when they were supposed to be. However, if I knew then what I know now, there's no way I would immunize them....or at the very least, I would delay them until their little immune systems were stronger and better able to handle the viruses put into their little bodies! Now that I know more, we do not get the flu shots, my dd did not get the guardia (or whatever that's called, to prevent cervical cancer) and they won't. Not until they are old enough to make their own decisions and choose to get them (which they won't).

The people who choose not to immunize their children are not giving them a death sentence, nor are they abusive or neglectful. They choose not to immunize because of their research into immunizations, and understand the risks to both (immunizing and NOT immunizing).

I would welcome a non-immunized child into my daycare, as I would consider them very informed parents. And once your child turns one, and has all the immunizations, then you are home free, because no one who's been immunized ever comes down with that sickness, right?
Very well said marniewon. If this is that big of a concern for the op, I would suggest that she find another daycare for her children (or at least the youngest child) to attend until she felt that her child was fully immunized and no longer at risk.

Sounds like the only real violation here is that this daycare is sharing personal records information.
SilverSabre25 09:45 AM 11-01-2010
ditto mariewon and misol. There's no reason *at all* that the daycare should have notified parents that a new child was not immunized for any reason, religious, medical OR philosophical.
MMk9987 07:27 PM 11-16-2010
Okay well I have what is calle selective IGA defferincy and that means i have a really low immune system so if someone is sick i catch it like that. so i do get the flu shot and Jonathan my son who is 8 months old gets all of his shots. here in the state of Florida before you can enter childcare you must have all of your shots up to date they even make the parents sign a form I do not know if they do it where any of you guys live.
misol 07:40 PM 11-16-2010
Originally Posted by MMk9987:
Okay well I have what is calle selective IGA defferincy and that means i have a really low immune system so if someone is sick i catch it like that. so i do get the flu shot and Jonathan my son who is 8 months old gets all of his shots. here in the state of Florida before you can enter childcare you must have all of your shots up to date they even make the parents sign a form I do not know if they do it where any of you guys live.

It is my understading that FL does not allow personal or philosophical exemptions from immunizations but they do allow medical and religious exemptions.
Unregistered 10:53 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ditto mariewon and misol. There's no reason *at all* that the daycare should have notified parents that a new child was not immunized for any reason, religious, medical OR philosophical.
As a home daycare provider, I am required to notify parents if there is a non-immunized child enrolled. I am also required to maintain confidentiality by not naming a specific person. I am sure the parents can figure out if there is a new child & soon after a notification.

I have had a unvaccinated child in my care, and I had to post a notification to that effect. The child's parents were ok with that(and so were the rest of the clients), but even if the child's parents weren't ok with it, I was still required to post the notification. Everyone 'knew' who it was, even though it didn't explicitly say.
misol 11:29 AM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
As a home daycare provider, I am required to notify parents if there is a non-immunized child enrolled. I am also required to maintain confidentiality by not naming a specific person. I am sure the parents can figure out if there is a new child & soon after a notification.

I have had a unvaccinated child in my care, and I had to post a notification to that effect. The child's parents were ok with that(and so were the rest of the clients), but even if the child's parents weren't ok with it, I was still required to post the notification. Everyone 'knew' who it was, even though it didn't explicitly say.

Wow, unbelievable. Unregistered what state are you licensed in? Can you post a copy of that regulation?
KEG123 07:14 PM 11-23-2010
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I'm not sure you have a lot of recourse here. Most (if not all) states allow public schools to exempt children from immunizations for religious reasons and there are some states where you can be exempt without having to give a reason. Obviously, that's public school and a lot different than a private child care that has young babies in their care. But, a lot of private childcare use the state law as their own rule... have you spoken to the director about your concern?

As I see it, my child goes to the store, is around friends all the time, plays at the playground and I don't check anyone's immunization records that played there before us. I figure we do the best we can to protect our children and then try not to worry about the rest.

In case my personal viewpoint on immunizations matters, I immunize my daughter on a very delayed schedule.

Good luck
This. My son is on a very delayed/selective vaccine schedule. I do not have to disclose this information to parents. Whoever told you about the other child being immunized should legally not be allowed to disclose that information to you.
Unregistered 06:35 PM 06-08-2012
it is actually the non-vaxed child that is in danger from your vaxed children. Non-vaxed children are actually put at risk by coming into contact with infants who have been recently vaccinated, especially with live vaccines, such as varicella. Your "rights" are not the ones being violated here.
Ariana 03:45 PM 06-09-2012
I really think you and your DR's should become more informed about how vaccines work and why your child is not at risk. Most people within the population need to get re-vaccinated every 10 years. How many adults do you know that do that? Essentially the majority of the population is not up to date on their vaccines. Also there are many people who contract viruses eventhough they've been vaccinated so it's not fool proof.

I really think your DR is being an alarmist in this instance.
Blackcat31 07:04 AM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I really think you and your DR's should become more informed about how vaccines work and why your child is not at risk. Most people within the population need to get re-vaccinated every 10 years. How many adults do you know that do that? Essentially the majority of the population is not up to date on their vaccines. Also there are many people who contract viruses eventhough they've been vaccinated so it's not fool proof.

I really think your DR is being an alarmist in this instance.
This thread is from 10-2010.

Other threads about immunizations and non-immunized children. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=immunizations
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=vaccinations
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=non-immunized
Ariana 12:21 PM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This thread is from 10-2010.

Ooooops!!!
texascare 07:49 AM 06-12-2012
As a parent of the child who is not fully immunized I would be upset that they are letting other people know know ab out it. I believe that is confidential information..... As far as that parent goes, there are several reasons why the child is not up to date on his/her shots. Religious reasons, or the child could have been ill at the time or the age the shots needed to be done. Why should you have to find another daycare? Why should they not bring their child to that particular daycare? They do have the right not to immunize for certain reasons if they decide not to.....The children who are not immunized are at greater risk at catching things than those that are up to date on their immunizations. And yes all 5 of my kids are immunized, but in this business it causes me to look at it both ways.
appasquel 02:57 PM 04-03-2015
Originally Posted by misol:
Wow, unbelievable. Unregistered what state are you licensed in? Can you post a copy of that regulation?
I am in CA and I have to disclosure that information too without giving the child care. Parents have the right to know what is going on in his child daycare as one parent have the right not to vaccinate the other parent have the right to remove her child out of daycare if she feels her child is at risk, Why judge, each parent have different parenting and we should respect all
renodeb 02:08 PM 07-30-2015
This is a very hot button issue. I totally believe in immunizing. Study after study has shown that the kids who aren't pose such a risk, shall we remember the measles outbreak that was not to long ago. That dc was wrong to share private medical records. I hope everything works out ok.
Crystal 03:58 PM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by appasquel:
I am in CA and I have to disclosure that information too without giving the child care. Parents have the right to know what is going on in his child daycare as one parent have the right not to vaccinate the other parent have the right to remove her child out of daycare if she feels her child is at risk, Why judge, each parent have different parenting and we should respect all
I am in Ca, have been in business for almost 19 years and have never heard of, nor been told by licensing, that you must disclose this info. Would you please show me, where in the regualtions that this is stated?
Unregistered 12:14 PM 06-04-2016
Your vaccinated child is not at any risk, he/she will be fine. It shouldn't be to any of your concern if another child is not vaccinated. If YOU feel that YOUR child need be, so be it and that's that. So if your child is vaccinated, you should have no worries. We all have a choice. Look up some adverse effects and reactions to vaccinations and you'll think deeply. No right, or wrong. Simply your own decision, opinion and beliefs. And for someone to judge or hold a dark cloud over an unvaccinated child because of that, TOTAL bs and ignorance.
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 06-04-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Your vaccinated child is not at any risk, he/she will be fine. It shouldn't be to any of your concern if another child is not vaccinated. If YOU feel that YOUR child need be, so be it and that's that. So if your child is vaccinated, you should have no worries. We all have a choice. Look up some adverse effects and reactions to vaccinations and you'll think deeply. No right, or wrong. Simply your own decision, opinion and beliefs. And for someone to judge or hold a dark cloud over an unvaccinated child because of that, TOTAL bs and ignorance.
Old thread
Unregistered 01:57 PM 07-23-2017
I'm totally aware this is an old post but I have to comment (hopefully the OP & parents who agreed with the OP woke up to the danger of vaccines.
I seriously laugh my ass off @ parents like you who believe in "herd immunity" & that kids who are unvaxxed & completely healthy (healthier than kids who are vaxxed) can magically be carriers of diseases. And also let me inform you on a little secret. Your pediatrician who recommends all these vaccines your child gets (on the CDC's schedule), gets paid extra @ the end of the year if she/he has a certain number of kids vaccinated. Yup you read that right! So either way your pediatrician who you trust in & look to for advice doesn't give a rats ass about your childs health & well-being. They get paid if your child gets sick or has an adverse reaction (which most pediatricians don't admit too "oh that's not an adverse reaction, your kids having seizures all of sudden after being vaccinate has nothing to do with the vaccine(s)".
The risk of your kids catching a disease is a very low chance. BUT the chance of your vaccinated kids shedding the live virus or disease they were vaccinated against is pretty damn high. Research the shedding rule. "Kids who recently vaccinated shed the vaccine(s) for 21-28 days after being vaccinated". So your kids are more of a danger than the unvaxxed kids (logic right?) so your kids shouldn't be allowed @ daycare for @ least 28 days to play it safe. Also vaxxed kids who are vaccinated against disease(s) still wind up catching the disease (more logic right lol). Vaccines aren't a one-size-fits-all but yet they give a 2 month old baby the same exact dose they give a 200 lb person. I hope you're getting this through your head. I'm done ranting & raving. Hope you do a little more research on the risks & dangers of vaccines.
hwichlaz 01:07 PM 07-27-2017
ALL of the children under a year old are un or under immunized...so attending daycare with other infants is risky, period, regardless of their status.
Unregistered 01:58 PM 08-14-2017
I realize that this is an old thread however, we have ran into the same problem at our daycare that I work at. Had a potential child call and they were not immunized as per our dhr regulations here in our state and the owner of our daycare called our dhr representative and they said that there is several centers that have done this and that all they would need to do is call their local health department and have a waiver drew up stating that they were unimmunized.
Tags:community immunity, daycare, herd immunity, immunization waivers, non-immunized
Reply Up