Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Injury
Flogrown 05:48 PM 02-07-2017
Hello, my child is a 13 month female. She was injured at daycare. I assume while playing outside. Her knees were badly scraped up and bleeding. I found out when I get her home and got her undressed for her bath. They are usually good at calling me and making me sign a form when she bumps her head. Which she knows a lot. I was not notified at all today. This is the worst injury she has had here. What should I do?
Michael 07:09 PM 02-07-2017
You should call or speak to the owner/director in the morning. Since they always notify you, your question will be why they did not follow proper procedure this time.
Leigh 07:12 PM 02-07-2017
They SHOULD have told you, but I can tell you that pickup time can be chaotic (trying to get the place picked up, paperwork in order that needs attention from parents, communicating with parents, kids who get amped up before going home, etc.). I'm guessing that informing you was an oversight.

Obviously, scraped knees on a 13 month old is pretty much par for the course (the last kid who learned to walk at my place would face plant over and over-I almost kicked her out of my daycare because I was so afraid she'd have a serious injury that I'd be blamed for!).

I'm not sure what you're asking about what you should do. Do you feel that someone hurt her or that she just fell down and they forgot to tell you? If you feel that she was intentionally hurt, you should definitely report to authorities. If you feel that she fell, as kids her age always do, then I would just mention at drop off that you were alarmed to find the scrapes, and ask that they remember to inform you next time. If it was an age-appropriate fall, I wouldn't get too alarmed, and I certainly wouldn't fuss over it. A parent who blamed me for a 13 month old getting scraped knees would likely be asked to leave my care for fear of being accused of liability for something that happens to ALL kids learning to walk.
Mike 07:51 PM 02-07-2017
It's possible it happened not long before pick up time, and as Leigh said, it could have been a chaotic time. I would ask when you go in tomorrow.
NeedaVaca 06:15 AM 02-08-2017
If you didn't notice until you got her ready for bath then I'm guessing she had long pants on? It's possible that she fell and never cried and daycare didn't see it either if they had changed her diaper prior to the fall. Just ask the provider what they know about it. I wouldn't be super concerned about scraped knees for this age group.
Gemma 08:48 AM 02-08-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
They SHOULD have told you, but I can tell you that pickup time can be chaotic (trying to get the place picked up, paperwork in order that needs attention from parents, communicating with parents, kids who get amped up before going home, etc.). I'm guessing that informing you was an oversight.

Obviously, scraped knees on a 13 month old is pretty much par for the course (the last kid who learned to walk at my place would face plant over and over-I almost kicked her out of my daycare because I was so afraid she'd have a serious injury that I'd be blamed for!).

I'm not sure what you're asking about what you should do. Do you feel that someone hurt her or that she just fell down and they forgot to tell you? If you feel that she was intentionally hurt, you should definitely report to authorities. If you feel that she fell, as kids her age always do, then I would just mention at drop off that you were alarmed to find the scrapes, and ask that they remember to inform you next time. If it was an age-appropriate fall, I wouldn't get too alarmed, and I certainly wouldn't fuss over it. A parent who blamed me for a 13 month old getting scraped knees would likely be asked to leave my care for fear of being accused of liability for something that happens to ALL kids learning to walk.
I agree with all of the above
Flogrown 09:19 AM 02-08-2017
She was changed into new clothes cause of the blood at the daycare. Whoever changed her say the injuries and do not report it. Every one acted like they didn't know what we were talking about. They are doing an investigation. Does this classify as negligence?
racemom 01:35 PM 02-08-2017
I hope your child is not in the center I work at. I would be scared to have a child in my care whose parents jump to neglect because their child scraped their knees and I didn't write up a report. Kids fall, teachers are busy and have more than one child to attend to, writing reports on scrapes and falls is not priority. The teacher may have thought she would write it at a less busy time and simply forgot, it happens.
Unregistered 03:49 AM 02-09-2017
Hi, I understand your concern as a parent. Accidents do happen, but if there was enough blood to make them have to change outfits I would probably expect some notification. I suggest that if you are unsatified with the care your child is receiving or think the center is 'negligent' that you hand in your termination notice and find other care. Maybe a home based provider who has a low ratio and less kids.
daycarediva 05:00 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
I hope your child is not in the center I work at. I would be scared to have a child in my care whose parents jump to neglect because their child scraped their knees and I didn't write up a report. Kids fall, teachers are busy and have more than one child to attend to, writing reports on scrapes and falls is not priority. The teacher may have thought she would write it at a less busy time and simply forgot, it happens.
Exactly. I do my best to communicate to parents, but an especially hectic day, staff coming/going, multiple children...it happens. I would expect a parent to be understanding. She fell, obviously scraped her knees, was comforted, had her clothing changed, and every other injury you have been notified about. As a parent I would see it as an oversight, not negligence.
Play Care 05:51 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Exactly. I do my best to communicate to parents, but an especially hectic day, staff coming/going, multiple children...it happens. I would expect a parent to be understanding. She fell, obviously scraped her knees, was comforted, had her clothing changed, and every other injury you have been notified about. As a parent I would see it as an oversight, not negligence.

Lovisa 07:36 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by racemom:
This.
e.j. 12:09 PM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Flogrown:
She was changed into new clothes cause of the blood at the daycare. Whoever changed her say the injuries and do not report it. Every one acted like they didn't know what we were talking about. They are doing an investigation. Does this classify as negligence?
Do the care givers at your dd's day care work in shifts? Is it possible your dd fell and hurt herself in the morning and the care giver who saw the injury and changed her clothing left for the day without thinking to inform the care giver who took over for the afternoon shift? That may account for why, when you asked what happened, no one there seemed to know. Hopefully, someone will be able to explain what happened to your satisfaction. It can be unsettling when you notice an injury that you weren't told about so I can understand why you might be a little upset.

I would wait until they do their "investigation" before I'd jump to an assumption of negligence - especially if they have a good track record of informing you about injuries. There have been times when I fully intended to tell a parent about an injury but lost sight of it because it happened early in the day and it was minor enough that the child was playing/acting normally since it happened. It's easy to forget about it by the end of the day - especially if pick up time gets busy with several kids and parents needing my attention. Good luck. I hope you get some answers soon for your own peace of mind.
Tags:injury form, injury report
Reply Up