Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Infant Throwing Up and Cleaning
grebabu 03:01 PM 04-27-2017
My less than year old daughter throw up at her day care..
she is not sick. she is completely healthy.
She was refused by the day care lady to take her. day care person asks parent to clean the vomit and says she will send a bill after getting cleaned from professional. has anyone experienced this? should parents really pay for that? every baby is known to throw up.
happymom 03:42 PM 04-27-2017
Throw up or spit up?

What does it say in your contract about being responsible to pay for her carpet cleaned? That doesn't sound right. What is your daycare's sick policy. A child who is throwing up is sick and not "completely healthy", spit up is different than throw up.

She absolutely has every right to refuse care for a baby who is throwing up.
Laurie 03:53 PM 04-27-2017
Your child shouldn't be in daycare if she's throwing up.. No matter the reason!!! Throw up is throw up no matter how you look at it..

It's unsanitary and not healthy for the other kids to be around.

I also would send the child home. She wouldn't be able to come back until she hasn't thrown up in 48hrs.

Paying for cleaning? I personally don't ask parents to pay for that, but everyone's different.
Unregistered 06:29 PM 04-27-2017
She vomits Everytime she eats new food.
I don't mind daycare lady not taking my daughter.
I don't understand asking us to pay for the cleaning.
With a daycare, it is expected for a baby to dirty the carpet/floOr.
If babies/kids could understand that stuff that early why would they mess up.
childcaremom 02:11 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Laurie:
Your child shouldn't be in daycare if she's throwing up.. No matter the reason!!! Throw up is throw up no matter how you look at it..

It's unsanitary and not healthy for the other kids to be around.

I also would send the child home. She wouldn't be able to come back until she hasn't thrown up in 48hrs.

Paying for cleaning? I personally don't ask parents to pay for that, but everyone's different.
This is me, as well. I exclude for symptoms, so to me it wouldn't matter the reason for throwing up, I would still exclude for 48 hours.

As far as the cleaning goes, I know some providers would require cleaning to be paid for.

Does she do this often? Perhaps this is why the provider is requiring that you pay. It can be costly to keep cleaning carpets, furniture, etc and if it is happening regularly with your child, that could be why.

Best to check your contract and chat with your provider. Best of luck.
Josiegirl 02:24 AM 04-28-2017
She throws up every time she tries a new food? Is it the texture, has reflux, is she an easy gagger? I'm wondering why, if dcprovider knows she throws up, eating new foods, why she doesn't put plastic down underneath or feed her off carpet. Or does this happen an hour later or something? Sorry, just trying to gain a better understanding of why this is happening.

I don't always send home a child due to throwing up, it would involve seeing other symptoms, etc. And no, I wouldn't expect a dcf to pay for cleaning unless it was something done maliciously by a child who should know better.
Cat Herder 06:49 AM 04-28-2017
Has your provider asked you not to give your child new foods before bringing to care?

Did you give your child a new (or previously known to cause issues) food before drop off?

Has this been an ongoing issue?
Laurie 08:30 AM 04-28-2017
Vomit and spitting up/out food is totally different.

It seems to me like more is going on here. You need to explain a lot more details for us to understand.

Why does she "vomit" when she eats new foods?
How long has this been happening?
Has she spoken with her doctor about it?

If this has been going on for a while and the parents are not working with you, then I'd term her from my daycare. And probably have you pay for cleaning. And that's only if it's become a huge problem for me and my daycare.
daycarediva 09:15 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Laurie:
Vomit and spitting up/out food is totally different.

It seems to me like more is going on here. You need to explain a lot more details for us to understand.

Why does she "vomit" when she eats new foods?
How long has this been happening?
Has she spoken with her doctor about it?

If this has been going on for a while and the parents are not working with you, then I'd term her from my daycare. And probably have you pay for cleaning. And that's only if it's become a huge problem for me and my daycare.
Something doesn't make sense here.

Healthy babies don't vomit. Spit up, sure. Vomit? heck no.

I also have a 'cleaning fee' in my handbook. I DO charge $20 for everytime I have to clean up vomit or potty accidents. It's an incentive for parents to keep sick kids home, and for them not to push the underwear agenda before the child is ready.
Laurie 11:35 AM 04-28-2017
20 Bucks sounds good!! And I love the idea of it giving them incentive to keep them home!!
LysesKids 09:14 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree with previous posts... is it vomiting or spit up? if Vomiting, I also exclude for symptoms not diagnoses, if it's spit up maybe something else behind issue, it still may warrant a DR visit if it continually happens; if damage to my home - yes I will charge you cleaning fees to clean carpets/furniture
LysesKids 09:21 PM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Something doesn't make sense here.

Healthy babies don't vomit. Spit up, sure. Vomit? heck no.

I also have a 'cleaning fee' in my handbook. I DO charge $20 for everytime I have to clean up vomit or potty accidents. It's an incentive for parents to keep sick kids home, and for them not to push the underwear agenda before the child is ready.
PM me your policy for vomiting/accidents cleaning fee... I need it with the newbie lol
JackandJill 07:06 AM 04-29-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's not really expected. Sometimes things happen, but do you expect your child to crawl and play on a dirty floor?

I also excluded for vomit or spit up in excess, regardless of the reason.

I have a little guy with food allergies and a texture sensitivity. I sent him home a lot when he was a year to 18 months. His mom had to get him into dr's and allergists to get to the root of the problem.

If this mom had brushed it off that kids are supposed to make a mess (or vomit all over the floor) and I should just expect to run a business in that kind of unsanitary condition, I would have let them go.
PalmaHall 10:20 PM 06-06-2017
Paying for the cleanup is an optimal solution especially if the situation is beyond your control.
hwichlaz 05:05 PM 06-08-2017
Cleaning is a normal daycare operations cost......part of doing business. I'm kind of stunned that people charge for it, lol. Though I like the idea for potty accidents to discourage premature underwear use.
bklsmum 04:38 AM 06-09-2017
I really like the potty accident charge too. I'd have made bank this week!
Tags:cleaning - charging parents, throw up
Reply Up