Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>A Foreign Teacher Has Been Mistreating My Son
concerndad 05:04 PM 06-27-2018
As from what I know, my son now has a foreign teacher who is relatively new in the job. She’s been implementing strict rules and guidelines for him and his classmates. The rules seems a bit too harsh and mature for children of his age. She’s been reinforcing behaviors such as running, laughing too loudly, drawing while she’s teaching and so on. My son’s only 6 years old. I feel as though he doesn't need a teacher that strict at his age. I’m planning to talk to his teacher and give her a piece of my mind. I just don’t want my son to become stressed or anything.
storybookending 05:07 PM 06-27-2018
Oh Jesus Christ you lost me a “foreign teacher”.

Not running, using an inside voice and not drawing while a teacher is talking are things my 2-3 year olds are capable of and a 6 year old should be able to do these things.
Leigh 05:26 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Oh Jesus Christ you lost me a “foreign teacher”.

Not running, using an inside voice and not drawing while a teacher is talking are things my 2-3 year olds are capable of and a 6 year old should be able to do these things.
I agree. Running indoors is a SAFETY issue. Kids don't believe that until they trip and get hurt, but I think a parent could understand why this rule is important. Inside voice is something that should have been mastered 2-3 years ago for a 6 year old.

To the OP: What DO you want the teacher to do? What will you ask him or her to do? Is the teacher offering appropriate breaks for physical activity to "get the wiggles out"? Is the child being given recess? Are any other adults mentioning that your child might be squirmy, loud, resistant to following rules?

If these things are things that you don't feel your child is capable of, and I am NOT flaming you here, but offering real advice, then I suggest maybe asking for an assessment for your child. There are therapists available at the school to help your child cope with classroom requirements. ADHD, Autism, and a long list of other possibilities could make it hard for your child to assimilate to classroom expectations, but the school CAN offer help to your child.
concerndad 05:53 PM 06-27-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I agree. Running indoors is a SAFETY issue. Kids don't believe that until they trip and get hurt, but I think a parent could understand why this rule is important. Inside voice is something that should have been mastered 2-3 years ago for a 6 year old.

To the OP: What DO you want the teacher to do? What will you ask him or her to do? Is the teacher offering appropriate breaks for physical activity to "get the wiggles out"? Is the child being given recess? Are any other adults mentioning that your child might be squirmy, loud, resistant to following rules?

If these things are things that you don't feel your child is capable of, and I am NOT flaming you here, but offering real advice, then I suggest maybe asking for an assessment for your child. There are therapists available at the school to help your child cope with classroom requirements. ADHD, Autism, and a long list of other possibilities could make it hard for your child to assimilate to classroom expectations, but the school CAN offer help to your child.
The least she could do is give the kids a break. My child knows how to behave appropriately yeah but sometimes she still calls them out for the little things aside from what I said. We've had my kid checked and he's as healthy as he can be.
Josiegirl 02:20 AM 06-28-2018
I'm not sure why you used the term 'foreign teacher'? Like that has something to do with it????

IF you truly feel as if the teacher is coming down way too hard, I wouldn't attack them and put them into defensive mode. Just ask how much movement they're allowed within the classroom, how much free time. Also, are you allowing a lot of free time for your ds to move, run, play, after school or is he relaxing by the tv or electronics? A normal 6 yo kid needs to run off steam. They are 'on' all day long in a classroom and do need to let loose, but should also be expected to follow rules when needed.

I don't like the fact that schools are almost forced to follow a strict regimen to accomplish all they have to accomplish and that the system tries to place kids all in the same pigeonholes. Unfortunately, there are few good answers to this problem unless you can shop around for the best teaching style for your child's way of learning. Kids do need to follow rules; how could a teacher maintain classroom order of any kind if they weren't expected to??

The average classic school cannot give as much individual attention or as many extra-curricular activities as they need to, to maintain children's interests. In our area, there is 1 local school whose students raise chickens, building cages, on up. Another school offers very individualized programs and interests for their students. But these types of schools are few and far between and of course, are costly. The school systems and their standards need to change but it takes a huge group effort. Schools are already overburdened with problems, between students, funding, lack of dedicated teachers, etc.

Good luck with talking to your son's teacher but try to be part of the solution.
Cat Herder 05:19 AM 06-28-2018
There is this scene in Major Payne that comes to mind.
Country Kids 08:55 AM 06-29-2018
Are you talking about in the classroom or outside?

If outside, yes children should be able to run, laugh and have fun.

If inside the classroom, there shouldn't be any running though.

Laughing should be fine if done when appropriate but if the teacher is trying to teach or talk, I can see her not wanting to talk over the children unless she has said something funny.

Are these areas of concern you have seen or your son is telling you about. Six year olds stories honestly can becoming bigger than what the true issue is.
ellen211 12:00 AM 07-11-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Are you talking about in the classroom or outside?

If outside, yes children should be able to run, laugh and have fun.

If inside the classroom, there shouldn't be any running though.

Laughing should be fine if done when appropriate but if the teacher is trying to teach or talk, I can see her not wanting to talk over the children unless she has said something funny.

Are these areas of concern you have seen or your son is telling you about. Six year olds stories honestly can becoming bigger than what the true issue is.
I totally agree with you. It always depends on the situation.
Tags:age appropriate - curriculum, foreign teacher, helicopter parenting, learned helplessness, overbearing teachers, racism
Reply Up