Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Pacifier Drama
happymom 08:20 AM 08-27-2018
I've posted about this before and got a lot of good advice. My child's daycare does not allow pacifiers in the 3 year old room.

My child is currently in the 2 year old room. He is set to move to the 3s in 6 weeks.

He never used his pacifier during the day, but used it for naps and overnight until he was about 2.5. Daycare was periodically reminding me that he needs to be off the pacifier before he moves to the 3s, so I made an effort to take it.

One night at the beginning of a long weekend, my older son took the pacifier and threw it towards the closet. It was actually lost (I never did find it again). My 2yo was very sad, but slept and napped all 4 days of the long weekend without the pacifier.

Went back to daycare after the weekend, I told them we were done with it at home. They didn't offer it, told him it was gone at nap. I left it in his cubby for several months "just in case"...it's been several months and I noticed it was still there and looking pretty gross so I took it from his cubby with the intent to throw it out, but it stayed in the console of my car until I was cleaning my car out.....annnddd my little son was helping and found it.

Now he's crying for his damn pacifier again every single night. I threw it out in front of him, so he knows it's gone. He is still insisting that it's "In the trash, inside the garage!" and he wants me to "get it out of the trash"....

I feel so guilty. I thought after several months of no pacifier, he wouldn't miss it anymore.
rosieteddy 05:09 PM 08-27-2018
why not buy a small gift.Put it under his pillow from the paci fairy.Add a note that she found the paci and now that he is a big boy he gets a prize.Maybe add a new toothbrush .That was one of the reaspns I took paci's away at 12 months.Thought of them as shutupafiers after 12 months.
lblanke 07:57 PM 08-28-2018
My 6 year old has not had a paci in many years, but when she was home from school sick one day, she found an old one and asked if she could have it for the day. She was otherwise vomiting every 15 minutes, so, embarassingly, I said yes. Luckily, she only used it that day.
ellen211 12:53 AM 08-29-2018
Poor little child. Maybe he misses his pacifier very much. Try to make some home made pops just to convert his attention and stop thinking about his pacifier.
happymom 08:07 AM 08-29-2018
Originally Posted by ellen211:
Poor little child. Maybe he misses his pacifier very much. Try to make some home made pops just to convert his attention and stop thinking about his pacifier.
That's a good idea, but he only asks for it at bed time and I hate to stall bedtime.

He actually stopped asking for it, and hasn't asked for it since I made this post, ironically!

I still feel sad for him, for taking away something he loves so much. He doesn't care for stuffed animals and doesn't have a lovey. He asks to sleep with his soccer ball
Rockgirl 08:16 AM 08-29-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
He asks to sleep with his soccer ball
Kids are funny! My son slept with a notebook of football trading cards at that age.
Tags:3 year old, own child, pacifier, pacifier issues
Reply Up