Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>3 Month Old Wants to Be Held All the Time
Bdavis 07:25 PM 10-14-2019
Help! My 3 month old just started daycare last week. Today was his 2nd Monday. He did not nap at the beginning of last week but he did much better as the week went on. On Saturday he was SUPER clingy to me where he would scream if I put him down to nap. Today at daycare (in home) they mentioned that he was really fussy if not being held and that we need to work on it. I’m worried if he doesn’t adjust that they won’t want to keep him. I thought we did okay for our 1st week last week but then told that today upon pick up. I know it’ll take time for him to adjust so I’m hoping that’s what it is. He normally naps really well for us at home but last weekend he was clingy. How long did it take your little ones to adjust to daycare? Any advise on how I can fix this issue? Or is it just a matter of needing time to adjust? It’s only been 6 days. Please help! Thank you!
Josiegirl 02:40 AM 10-15-2019
The poor little thing is only 3 mo! My reaction would be to hold and cuddle all day long. But knowing it's not possible, maybe you could supply a sleepsack for them to try? Some babies do really well with them for sleeping purposes.
Certainly, they cannot expect your baby to adapt or change that quickly can they? I could understand their feelings if he was older but at 3 mo, he should be listened to when he cries. They say when babies turn 4-6 mo, is the best time to start sleep training them.
JMO
Cat Herder 05:29 AM 10-15-2019
They may have simply been asking you to also work on sleep training and self-soothing techniques at home to make the adjustment easier for baby. How often do you use confinement or motion equipment? Is baby put down on his back to sleep while awake and allowed to cry for short periods before being picked up? Are you working toward a self-soothing goal?
Leigh 11:46 AM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Bdavis:
Help! My 3 month old just started daycare last week. Today was his 2nd Monday. He did not nap at the beginning of last week but he did much better as the week went on. On Saturday he was SUPER clingy to me where he would scream if I put him down to nap. Today at daycare (in home) they mentioned that he was really fussy if not being held and that we need to work on it. I’m worried if he doesn’t adjust that they won’t want to keep him. I thought we did okay for our 1st week last week but then told that today upon pick up. I know it’ll take time for him to adjust so I’m hoping that’s what it is. He normally naps really well for us at home but last weekend he was clingy. How long did it take your little ones to adjust to daycare? Any advise on how I can fix this issue? Or is it just a matter of needing time to adjust? It’s only been 6 days. Please help! Thank you!
Around the 4th month, babies begin to realize that you will return to them if you set them down or leave their sight. It usually does get better then. What YOU can do? Get down on the floor with your baby. Play on the floor, feed on the floor, do EVERYTHING on the floor, so that your child can feel confident at his own level, and doesn't feel that on an adult's shoulder is the only safe place to be. Your baby DOES need to be held a lot, but not ALL the time. Play on the floor and get him used to interacting with you when he is not ON you. What I suggest for napping is to never rock your child to sleep for naps, but lay them down drowsy, and then save the rocking for nighttime bonding. This way, your baby learns to go to sleep himself, and you still get to have that bonding time at night.

Also, be certain to replicate the same sleep situation your child has at daycare. At daycare, there will be NOTHING in the crib or playyard (only a fitted sheet). NO toys, NO NO NO blankets, at 3 months, most likely NO swaddle. Just your baby in the crib for safety reasons. It is so heartbreaking to have an infant whose parents have taught them that they need a security item (they don't) that they can't have at daycare. I urge parents to rotate blankets, crib toys, etc. when children are old enough to have them (after 12 months of age) so that one doesn't become so important to a kid.

I hope things work out for you!
Tags:back to sleep, belly time, clingy, crying, fussy, graduated extinction, held, infant, nap, safe sleep, sids prevention
Reply Up