Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Toilet Causing Contact Dermatitis
osbornchic 09:22 AM 02-23-2020
I am in need of help. My 2.5 year old is getting a rash caused by the Lysol sprayed on the child toilets between children at his day care.
I know this is the cause because the rash started after he was potty trained over Christmas and returned to school. As he was the only child using the toilet in that class, they stopped the Lysol and the rash stopped developing. He moved up to the next room where multiple children use the toilet and they Lysol between. The rash has returned.
It is a severe rash that spreads and require prescription medication to get rid of it in addition to stopping the source.
My question is - what can the day care and I do to stop this from happening?
So far the solution we are going to try is to have him go first when they go in groups (doesn’t help in 1 off situations). I will take some kind of more natural cleaning wipe to wipe down the toilet before he uses it. I’m looking for a seat we can use on top of the toilet, but haven’t had any luck so far since the toilet is smaller than standard.
Does anyone have further suggestions to help?
We are in Texas.
Michael 11:20 AM 02-23-2020
I was going to suggest the paper seat cover throw aways that the public toilet have here in California.

Here one for kids

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000074926162.html
Attached: D065FF64-1473-4D13-B9BC-01F48443498D.jpg (130.2 KB) 
Cat Herder 12:37 PM 02-23-2020
I would ask them to stop using the Lysol spray altogether.

Most states require a mist of 1/10 solution of bleach/water, let it sit 2 minutes, wipe, then a rinse wipe and dry. Lysol is not an approved replacement for that, just an addition. There are no regulations requiring Lysol spray. Mine asks us to not use it in the presence of children, at all.

Pull up your states licensing regs and check their requirements. Print off that page if you have to. Many children with asthma can't tolerate Lysol, either.

That said, if he does not get the same dermatitis on his hands from playing with the toys sprayed with Lysol each evening, then they may simply not be allowing it to dry before he sits down. Having them wipe/dry it completely may be a simple solution if that is the case.

This is a much more common issue than you may know.
osbornchic 03:39 PM 02-23-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would ask them to stop using the Lysol spray altogether.

Most states require a mist of 1/10 solution of bleach/water, let it sit 2 minutes, wipe, then a rinse wipe and dry. Lysol is not an approved replacement for that, just an addition. There are no regulations requiring Lysol spray. Mine asks us to not use it in the presence of children, at all.

Pull up your states licensing regs and check their requirements. Print off that page if you have to. Many children with asthma can't tolerate Lysol, either.

That said, if he does not get the same dermatitis on his hands from playing with the toys sprayed with Lysol each evening, then they may simply not be allowing it to dry before he sits down. Having them wipe/dry it completely may be a simple solution if that is the case.

This is a much more common issue than you may know.
I’ve been trying to find the regulations and cannot seem to find child toilet disinfecting requirements. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.
The director has said that the inspector told them not to wipe it dry, and I suspect that the teachers aren’t waiting long enough between children. They’d be allowed to wipe it dry if they waited long enough, right?
He is definitely not having an issue with his hands. He has been at this center since he was 3 months old. No issues until now.
osbornchic 03:43 PM 02-23-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
I was going to suggest the paper seat cover throw aways that the public toilet have here in California.

Here one for kids

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000074926162.html
Good find. Those are way cheaper than those I found on amazon. I was looking for something that wouldn’t be a recurring cost, but these would be acceptable. Thanks!
lovemykidstoo 05:58 PM 02-23-2020
Originally Posted by osbornchic:
Good find. Those are way cheaper than those I found on amazon. I was looking for something that wouldn’t be a recurring cost, but these would be acceptable. Thanks!
Even if your child could put a strip of toilet paper on the seat of the toilet that should help.
Rockgirl 05:59 PM 02-23-2020
I’m in Texas. I’m not sure why they’re using Lysol....like Cat Herder said above, it’s not an approved method of cleaning/disinfecting toilet seats.

It seems they could at least wipe the toilet seat with plain water before your child sits on the seat.
Cat Herder 02:31 AM 02-24-2020
Rockgirl, could you find her the reg link?
Cat Herder 02:51 AM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by osbornchic:
I’ve been trying to find the regulations and cannot seem to find child toilet disinfecting requirements. Any help there would be greatly appreciated.
The director has said that the inspector told them not to wipe it dry, and I suspect that the teachers aren’t waiting long enough between children. They’d be allowed to wipe it dry if they waited long enough, right?
He is definitely not having an issue with his hands. He has been at this center since he was 3 months old. No issues until now.
They would be required to follow the manufacturer's directions (below). I can't see any set of these directions that make it's use between kids in rapid succession (as most centers tend to do before nap) possible. Maybe if used as a sanitizer after the bleach clean and disinfectant process but that would be redundant and not at all cost-efficient.

I only use it (Clorox Citrace spray, my preference) after closing on the furniture, gates, doorknobs, rugs, climbers and big toys after I wipe them down with a soap, water and odoban mix. They are misted, then left to dry overnight until the kids return the next day.

Lysol
"Pre-clean surfaces prior to use. Hold can upright 6"" to 8"" from surface. Spray 3 to 4 seconds until covered with mist.

To Disinfect:

Surfaces must remain wet for 3 minutes then allow to air dry.

For Norovirus surfaces must remain wet for 10 minutes then allow to air dry

Rinse toys and food contact surfaces with potable water after use.

To Sanitize:

Surfaces must remain wet for 10 seconds then allow to air dry."
Rockgirl 06:17 AM 02-24-2020
Here are the state guidelines for sanitizing surfaces. Oddly, the procedure for cleaning a toilet isn’t specifically mentioned. I’m guessing your child’s daycare is doing this on their own. I’m picturing the aerosol Lysol spray—is that right?

“(43) Sanitize – The use of a product (usually a disinfecting solution) that is registered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) which substantially reduces germs on inanimate objects to levels considered safe by public health requirements. Many bleach and hydrogen peroxide products are EPA-registered. You must follow the product’s labeling instructions for sanitizing (paying particular attention to any instructions regarding contact time and toxicity on surfaces likely to be mouthed by children, such as toys and crib rails). For an EPA-registered sanitizing product or disinfecting solution that does not include labeling instructions for sanitizing (a bleach product, for example), you must follow these steps in order:
(A) Washing with water and soap;
(B) Rinsing with clear water;
(C) Soaking in or spraying on a disinfecting solution for at least two minutes. Rinsing with cool water only those items that children are likely to place in their mouths; and
(D) Allowing the surface or item to air-dry.”
Cat Herder 06:36 AM 02-24-2020
I agreed, Texas's State website is about useless. I tried repeatedly to find anything of use.

I don't know how parents there research what kind care their children are receiving. If they can't easily access the rules, how will they know what to expect?
Rockgirl 07:14 AM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I agreed, Texas's State website is about useless. I tried repeatedly to find anything of use.

I don't know how parents there research what kind care their children are receiving. If they can't easily access the rules, how will they know what to expect?
Right! And it leaves a lot of things open for interpretation by the licensing reps. One may be fine with something, and next time another will write a provider up for it.
Snowmom 09:38 AM 02-24-2020
Lysol is an EPA registered product.

I agree that spray isn't the best choice to use around children.
Wipes would be a better option.

I agree with Michael's solution- a disposable cover would be the best option.
Rockgirl 10:14 AM 02-24-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Lysol is an EPA registered product.

I agree that spray isn't the best choice to use around children.
Wipes would be a better option.

I agree with Michael's solution- a disposable cover would be the best option.
I’m seeing that now—you’re right. However, if they’re just spraying with Lysol, and not cleaning first, they’re still not following procedures.

I do agree about the disposable seat covers.
Hunni Bee 11:10 AM 02-26-2020
Is that a reg in some states, that the toilet has to be cleaned sanitized after every use? I've never heard of that. We of course are supposed to clean and sanitize at the end of the day or if its soiled, but not between every kid at potty time.
Ariana 11:49 AM 02-26-2020
I would use a bleach water mix spray and wipe with a cloth. Most research shows that as long as toilet seats are kept cold germs will not stay or grow on a seat even public toilet seats are safe to sit on.
Rockgirl 11:57 AM 02-26-2020
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Is that a reg in some states, that the toilet has to be cleaned sanitized after every use? I've never heard of that. We of course are supposed to clean and sanitize at the end of the day or if its soiled, but not between every kid at potty time.
I don’t see it in the regs for centers in Texas. It’s not in the regs for homes. I clean mine daily during nap, and if I have a spare minute I’ll do a quick swipe with a disinfecting wipe at other times.

I think spraying with Lysol after every child is unnecessary.
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 02-26-2020
Mine says "To prevent cross-contamination surfaces shall be cleaned with a disinfectant and dried with a single-use disposable towel between each use."

The sink: "Any sink that is used for handwashing after diapering or toileting must be sanitized BEFORE the sink is used for ANY other purpose(s). This practice prevents the germs that are associated with diapering and toileting from being spread to other classroom materials and surfaces."

We just got the pass to use commercial EPA approved disinfectants in place of mixing bleach water daily.

"A cleaning solution such as soapy water is used to clean a surface by removing visible residue or debris. A sanitizing solution such as bleach water actually kills germs and disease-causing organisms. For sanitizers to be effective the solution should be used on a visibly clean surface and must be allowed to air dry before being wiped away – two minutes is the recommended amount of time."
Mariposa 10:51 PM 08-03-2020
Havent read all the comments---
sure it's Lysol, and not having dampness on the tush?

My son will get it sometimes, he's not much older. We don't Lysol his butt, LOL.
Tags:contact dermatitis, lysol, texas - regulations
Reply Up