Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Coronavirus Private Daycare/Preschool Closure
Unregistered 04:45 AM 03-13-2020
Due to the coronavirus, our child’s preschool/daycare may close. It is private. We pay on a monthly basis. The agreement we signed, and the handbook, doesn’t mention anything about an emergency closure policy.

If the daycare/preschool is closed for MONTHS because of the virus situation, would you still pay the tuition? (Could go on for months).
Cat Herder 04:55 AM 03-13-2020
If you want your child to still be enrolled and for them to stay in business, they will need to be paid. It isn't their fault and they will be struggling the same as everyone else.
Unregistered 05:04 AM 03-13-2020
Okay, what about all the other closures - i.e. extracurricular activities? I guess I’ll still pay all those businesses also?
Cat Herder 05:10 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Okay, what about all the other closures - i.e. extracurricular activities? I guess I’ll still pay all those businesses also?
I would expect to. Our local schools closed and are not refunding the $900 per student for a trip Washington that was canceled last minute. Everyone is taking a hit this go around. It is a rare event. Gymnastics, dance, spring ball, are all still charging.
e.j. 11:13 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
If you want your child to still be enrolled and for them to stay in business, they will need to be paid. It isn't their fault and they will be struggling the same as everyone else.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think it comes down to ability to pay and priorities. If you can afford to pay to hold your child's spot in the preschool/day care, I would do it. They will most likely need parents to continue paying tuition in order to pay their bills, retain their staff and reopen when the time comes. If you can't afford to pay because your own income has been affected or you don't mind searching for another preschool/day care, then take the risk and don't pay. Just be prepared to have to look for a new child care if they've had to fill your child's spot or have gone out of business.

Same goes for extracurricular activities. If they are a priority to you and you want them to be available once the Coronavirus issue has passed, pay to keep them in business. Personally, if it came down to making a choice and I liked and appreciated my child's preschool/day care, I'd continue to pay to hold the spot for as long as I could afford to pay.
Cat Herder 11:58 AM 03-13-2020
My town is rallying around the small mom and pop restaurants that are being hit hard. They are buying gift certificates to use after the storm and help keep them afloat.
Jo123ABC 10:41 PM 03-15-2020
My town is rallying around the small mom and pop restaurants that are being hit hard. They are buying gift certificates to use after the storm and help keep them afloat.
this is awesome!! I'm so happy to hear support stories like this.
Gemma 10:36 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
this is awesome!! I'm so happy to hear support stories like this.
Same here!
Blackcat31 02:32 PM 03-16-2020
I read an article today about a store owner that is limiting the first (cleanest) hour of each business day to the elderly and those at high risk to shop before opening the doors to the general public.

I thought that was really a kind and generous offer for those that do need it.
Cat Herder 02:48 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I read an article today about a store owner that is limiting the first (cleanest) hour of each business day to the elderly and those at high risk to shop before opening the doors to the general public.

I thought that was really a kind and generous offer for those that do need it.
That is wonderful. Seniors are really struggling right now.
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19, payment, tuition
Reply Up