Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice
Unregistered 06:44 PM 05-11-2012
Ok so when I first started my home daycare I didn't work on Tuesdays. Well a dcg's mother got a job and needed care on Tuesdays so I picked it up. That night is my church night and my husband's day off so that is why it was off. Well her dad just went to 2nd shift, and now they say they can't pick her up till after 5..I said I would not work past 4 o'clock on that day. Now she is telling me she will have to find another sitter, and such. I really do love this dcg, but I am tired of being walked on. If it is not one thing it is another. I have no family time with my son and husband due to picking this day up, and now they want to cut into my getting ready for church time. So should I give in, or let them go ? I am so confused and sick of the situation..I just don't know what to do.
wdmmom 08:23 PM 05-11-2012
Have you explained why you need off early on Tuesdays? I think youve been more than accommodating. They need to accommodate 1 hour of your time 1 day a week. If they cant, I would give them notice.
Unregistered 09:15 PM 05-11-2012
Yes, I have explained to them why I cannot work late on Tuesdays. I also told them I would go as far as 4:30. My dcmom came back with a "Whatever" and that she would just have to find another sitter. I have given my one family day up for help them out. You would think they would atleast give me that. I really love dcg, but I am to my whits end. They come here and stay later, wanting to visit..talk etc. and also dcdad has layed in my floor when his dcg was asleep on her mat. I feel uncomfortable when that happens, b/c my husband is at work. But have always kept my mouth shut..But I do not want to sacrafice my church time for them..that may sound bad, but I can't do that.
Christian Mother 10:38 PM 05-11-2012
The Lord always gives us a choice...will it lead directly to Him is the one he is hoping for.
ashleywarmer 01:52 AM 05-12-2012
You will also want to decide whether to be part-time or full-time, and if you want to cater for children in the age group. Of course, the baby or toddler is a lot of work, but you can usually charge more to take care of them. You need to consider how many children, up to the legal limit, you're really uncomfortable to watch.
Meyou 03:36 AM 05-12-2012
I would let her find another sitter and enjoy your time getting ready for church. They're being difficult and DCM is being rude about it as well.
CheekyChick 04:48 AM 05-12-2012
Since the majority of my DCP's work until 5:00 p.m., I would lose 95% of my clients if I closed at 4:30 p.m.

If closing early is more important than keeping this particular family, then let them go. If you want to keep them you will have to stay open later. It depends on what is most important to you.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 05-12-2012
Part of being self-employed means we get to decide how much and how little we want to work. We also have to realize that not all clients are going to have the same needs as what we are offering.

Even current clients' needs change and that is not out of the ordinary in this field of work.

Bottom line is YOU have to decide what your priority is. If it is earning the money from this client, they you will have to change your operating hours/days to meet her needs in order to keep her.

If your priority is family time or in your case, church, then stand your ground and tell the mom you do not offer services after 4:00 on Tuesdays and the client will either have to follow these policies or she will have to find other care.

There is no one right answer we can give you as YOU need to do what is best and more important for you.

I will say though that after 2 decades in this business that I will never sacrifice the needs of my family or myself over clients as money is not the highest thing on my priority list but that is ME and we all have to do what works for us and what is best for us and OUR families.

Please don't give in and miss church services if that is really what you want to do as you will be resentful and resentment tends to build and never turns out well. If you decide to keep them and miss church, please make sure it really is ok and you aren't simply doing it because you feel bad.

I get that you love this DCG, but daycare kids come and go all the time and realistically she will be leaving when she becomes old enough to not need care anymore. I will even venture to say that this mom isn't feeling the love to you as much as you are to her family or she would be a little more willing to respect your needs and feelings and at least try and work with you by changing her schedule or finding someone else to pick up on Tuesdays so you can get to church.

Good luck, I wish you the best in finding a solution to this situation.
Ariana 08:06 AM 05-12-2012
You will start to resent her and your job if you don't so do what's best for you. Your priority is your family and church so let her go. In the end you'll be happier for having gone that way.
MNMum 08:30 AM 05-12-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
You will start to resent her and your job if you don't so do what's best for you. Your priority is your family and church so let her go. In the end you'll be happier for having gone that way.
This. And as you said, you are tired of being walked on by this family. Let them go.
saved4always 02:03 PM 05-12-2012
You do not have to provide care later than you want and you do not have to provide care on a day that you would like to have off. If your hours and days do not fit with this family any longer due to the job change, they will have to look for other care. DCM should not be rude about it, but she needs to have a provider whose hours match her needs. Many parents do not have a choice on their hours so it may be that she just cannot get there to pick up until 5 p.m. In which case, she will need to move her child.

It sounds like you really want this time for your family and to get ready for church. I am totally with you on that...I only took families who could pick up by 4 p.m. because of my family's needs. Otherwise, you will not be happy and may become bitter because of what you are missing.
cheerfuldom 03:11 PM 05-12-2012
Keep your priorities in mind. Husband, children, faith ALWAYS trump daycare families. Time to term. Why you are even hesitating is confusing to me I guess because clearly you dont want to do it at all and the DCM isnt budging. You have come to the cross roads and it is times like this where you remember your priorities and always continue down that path, dont get distracted.
Unregistered 08:19 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Keep your priorities in mind. Husband, children, faith ALWAYS trump daycare families. Time to term. Why you are even hesitating is confusing to me I guess because clearly you dont want to do it at all and the DCM isnt budging. You have come to the cross roads and it is times like this where you remember your priorities and always continue down that path, dont get distracted.
I was hesitatent because I am a people pleaser I guess. I do not like the thought of anyone ever being mad at me. And this little dcg does mean a lot to me. I get attached easy. But I did bend a little and said I could go to 4:30, and she sent me a text saying her bil could pick dcg before 4:30. So I just learned over this that I am putting God first, and I prayed about it. If they don't respect my closing time on Tuesdays then term. will happen. I stay open til 6 throughout the week, this is the only day I need Thanks for all the advice everyone..I guess I need to toughen up !!
Reply Up