Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Prospective Family Asking A Lil Too Much?
Creek 01:52 PM 05-14-2012
So I have one space available for mid July and have just started doing interviews for it. I had two yesterday, and two more set up for this coming weekend. I hope out of these four I find the right family.

In any case, one of the families I met yesterday seemed very nice in person while we were doing the interview. They have a 12m old girl. Just the age I'm looking for to be a friend for another 12m old girl I will have in just a few weeks. Now they come for the interview, I was very flexible when they called me 5 mins before the interview time and said their dd was still sleeping and could I hold out. Keep in mind this is mother's day and we have plans. I said sure, but please call me when you're on your way. They took 2 hours to come! I didn't like that.

Anyways, the interview lasted an hour and a half, my normal time. We went over the handbook, I got lots of info about their DD. DD seems really sweet and anxious to play with me. They had no questions at the end of my handbook (exactly what it's designed to do) I showed them around my house, the playroom, outdoor spaces, etc. They said they were interested. I tell parents to go home, talk about it, and send me an email to let me know if they would like the space and when I'm done with my interviews I choose the family/child that works best with the children already in care.

I've recieved a ton of emails since they got home yesterday. These are the things they want now.

- Phone numbers of all the families I've ever had in care
- Phone numbers of all the centres I've ever worked at
- Phone numbers of placement supervisors while I was in college and university

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!
You are going to call someone I haven't seen in 12 years for an accurate reference for me? I have NEVER heard of that. My practice is to give 3 references of my choice (I usually give the owner of the daycare that I worked as a supervisor for (different perspective), and 2 parents that I have now)

They also want to know if they can come back for another visit and bring their parents. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I honestly don't care who comes for the initial interview but I don't have time for this. I already conduct interviews during MY weekend family time.

What would you do?
I feel like if I do jump through all these hoops with this family and IF I choose to give them to spot, I will have to perform feats of pure excellence on a daily basis to satisfy them.
christinaskids 02:01 PM 05-14-2012
You have a lot of other interviews so i wouldnt even waste my time. See what else comes your way, there might be a much better fit. I would maybe email back about your policies that you only give three references and see what they do with that. They may just be new to childcare and be overly protective at first and new to the process.
daycare 02:12 PM 05-14-2012
I would just email them back and tell them that you will interview with your other families and thank them for their time.

Let them know that should you decide to move forward with them, that you will give them the information that you provide for all families that apply.
wdmmom 02:19 PM 05-14-2012
I don't do grandparent interviews. These are the parents and they need to make the decision. Not be influenced. It's hard enough winning a family over, let alone having to do the entire family!

As for the requests...Simply put...I wouldn't do it. I would offer 3 references. (All I ever give.) 1 current client, 1 former client and the supervisor of my last job prior to daycare. If these aren't good enough, too bad.

I tell families that I like to keep everything private. My families know childrens names but they do not know the parents, where they live, telephone numbers, what they pay, their daycare/work schedule, where they work, etc. There are some things that are none of their business.

I would tell them that the information they are requesting is above and beyond what you typically provide and it could take up to a month for you to collect all the necessary information. Leave it at that, interview your other families and make a decision based on that.
MyAngels 03:09 PM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I don't do grandparent interviews. These are the parents and they need to make the decision. Not be influenced. It's hard enough winning a family over, let alone having to do the entire family!

As for the requests...Simply put...I wouldn't do it. I would offer 3 references. (All I ever give.) 1 current client, 1 former client and the supervisor of my last job prior to daycare. If these aren't good enough, too bad.

I tell families that I like to keep everything private. My families know childrens names but they do not know the parents, where they live, telephone numbers, what they pay, their daycare/work schedule, where they work, etc. There are some things that are none of their business.

I would tell them that the information they are requesting is above and beyond what you typically provide and it could take up to a month for you to collect all the necessary information. Leave it at that, interview your other families and make a decision based on that.
I agree with this .

Also, your gut is trying to tell you already that they are not right for your daycare. After many years of daycare the best advice I, or anyone else, can give you is to listen to your intuition.
Former Teacher 03:16 PM 05-14-2012
Oh I totally can relate!

Once I had a family, whom I was only going to babysit for twice a month, wanted to know EVERYTHING. They wanted my SS number, DL number, past addresses, make and model of my car, insurance policy number on ALL the vehicles in my family, medical history...you name it, she wanted it. They even had a form for me to fill out! Talk about dissecting! Needless to say I told her that my schedule changed and I would no longer be able to be babysitting
MarinaVanessa 05:33 PM 05-14-2012
I'm one of the few but I actually really encourage gradparents and older siblings to come to the interviews. One finicky grandmother can really derail a great parent/provider partnership so if someone else will be doing the pick-ups/drop-offs then I prefer for that person to come and meet me.

That being said however ... I wouldn't add an extra interview just so that the grandparents could meet me. I do one phone interview, one interview with parents (and others) after-daycare hours and then one final interview during daycare hours to see how the child interacts with the other kids. That's it. If grandma and grampa don't come to the 2nd interview I am not going out of my way to schedule a 2nd second interview KWIM?
saved4always 06:04 PM 05-14-2012
I believe the standard number of references given for any job is 3 so I think they are asking for way more than I would be willing to give. So I would send them the 3 references you are currently using and tell that that is standard.

As for the grandparents, I would not waste my time doing another visit with the grandparents on my own family time. Especially since you have so many other interviews for this spot. Why go to the extra work when this family may not be one you want to enroll.
Meyou 02:40 AM 05-15-2012
I would offer them 3 references and let them know that you offer all prospective families the same references and interview process and you'll let them know when you make your decision.
SunshineMama 05:18 AM 05-15-2012
Runnnnnnnnnnnn!

Originally Posted by creek:
so i have one space available for mid july and have just started doing interviews for it. I had two yesterday, and two more set up for this coming weekend. I hope out of these four i find the right family.

In any case, one of the families i met yesterday seemed very nice in person while we were doing the interview. They have a 12m old girl. Just the age i'm looking for to be a friend for another 12m old girl i will have in just a few weeks. Now they come for the interview, i was very flexible when they called me 5 mins before the interview time and said their dd was still sleeping and could i hold out. Keep in mind this is mother's day and we have plans. I said sure, but please call me when you're on your way. They took 2 hours to come! I didn't like that.

Anyways, the interview lasted an hour and a half, my normal time. We went over the handbook, i got lots of info about their dd. Dd seems really sweet and anxious to play with me. They had no questions at the end of my handbook (exactly what it's designed to do) i showed them around my house, the playroom, outdoor spaces, etc. They said they were interested. I tell parents to go home, talk about it, and send me an email to let me know if they would like the space and when i'm done with my interviews i choose the family/child that works best with the children already in care.

I've recieved a ton of emails since they got home yesterday. These are the things they want now.

- phone numbers of all the families i've ever had in care
- phone numbers of all the centres i've ever worked at
- phone numbers of placement supervisors while i was in college and university

are you kidding me?!?!
You are going to call someone i haven't seen in 12 years for an accurate reference for me? I have never heard of that. My practice is to give 3 references of my choice (i usually give the owner of the daycare that i worked as a supervisor for (different perspective), and 2 parents that i have now)

they also want to know if they can come back for another visit and bring their parents. Whaaaaaaaaaaat? I honestly don't care who comes for the initial interview but i don't have time for this. I already conduct interviews during my weekend family time.

What would you do?
I feel like if i do jump through all these hoops with this family and if i choose to give them to spot, i will have to perform feats of pure excellence on a daily basis to satisfy them.

countrymom 05:47 AM 05-15-2012
I was thinking the same as the poster above, RUN AWAY!!!!!
temom 05:57 AM 05-15-2012
agree with the PP above, i would run far far away.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 05-15-2012
.................next!!!
CheekyChick 06:39 AM 05-15-2012
I would write them back and tell them that you are still meeting with new families and IF you feel they are the best match, you would be happy to provide them with a work reference and two parent references. YOU need to be in charge or they will clearly try to run the show.
cheerfuldom 09:39 AM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I would write them back and tell them that you are still meeting with new families and IF you feel they are the best match, you would be happy to provide them with a work reference and two parent references. YOU need to be in charge or they will clearly try to run the show.
exactly.

but honestly, it doesnt look that good to have the start of the interview be with them calling for YOU to work around THEIR schedule. If they really want references from 10 years past, the reality is that they are never going to completely trust you and you will be proving yourself to them over and over. Not a good way to start a relationship.
DaisyMamma 10:57 AM 05-15-2012
RUN! Far Far away!!
If they want this info just imagine what type of DCP they will be be!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
renodeb 11:01 AM 05-15-2012
I say Run! do the rest of your interviews and then make your decision.
Debbie
momma2girls 12:05 PM 05-15-2012
As past experience with families like that- have all your other interviews and tell them you have others lined up, and see what becomes of the other ones!!
Tags:parents - ask too much
Reply Up