Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thoughts on Implementing a 2 Week Deposit
Ac114 04:54 AM 11-05-2018
I posted earlier last week about a mom who cancelled services without a notice and how to go about filing in small claims. I contacted her to let her know she still owed 2 weeks and she went ballistic. She belittled me, made fun of my husband’s illness, said she was going to smear my name etc and still kept claiming we were friends and this isn’t what friends do to each other. I didn’t even know her until I started caring for her son and no we were not friends. I am friendly, but I provide you a service. Anyways, I want to collect a 2 week deposit from all of my families spread out over a few weeks so it’s not all due at once. I’m not sure how to word it or go about it because I have families that have been in my care for over a year and I don’t know how they will feel about it. (I’m a relatively new provider) I feel like I’m punishing my parents that have been good to me but I have to protect myself first. Has anyone implanted a deposit after you’ve already started care?
DaveA 05:21 AM 11-05-2018
I don't charge a deposit, so no help for you there.

As for former DCM- I would contact your rep and let them know you have a hostile termination that could be going to court. That way if DCM decides to file a false report as a final "FU" to you you're out ahead of it.
LittleExplorers 07:10 AM 11-05-2018
I don't do a deposit either, but I think parents would struggle with the idea of adding one while already in care. I would consider adding it to just new families, but that is just me. When it's time to end care, I don't want families sticking around just to get their 2 weeks worth of money if it hasn't been a good fit. Good families will tend to let you know further than 2 weeks ahead if they plan to leave.
Snowmom 07:19 AM 11-05-2018
Why not do a "new year, new start" approach to changing your terms.

Write up a memo now.

"In order to run my business smoothly, efficiently and make things easier for you, I am implementing the following changes to ABC Daycare starting January 1st, 2019: (Then bullet point changes, including deposits and things you want to tighten up and how they benefit the program)"

You can add some things that may soften the blow. For instance:
"I understand some changes I am making may affect your budget- please contact me if you need to arrange a payment plan."

Make sure you have a deadline to sign the new docs:
"If these policies and procedures I am implementing do not work for your family, please remit your required two week notice by December 20th, 2018."

OR

Instead of a "deposit", try implementing a yearly enrollment/supply fee. Define it as a program fee that is used to better your environment. You purchase items throughout the year for the kids anyway- this is how parents can contribute to that and you can put it in savings to help you buffer your finances when things like this happen. The yearly fee is NON REFUNDABLE and paid every January 1st.
Unregistered 07:38 AM 11-05-2018
I'll never understand why some parents disrespect the person that cares for their child. Crazy.

I also don't require a deposit. I have not had any issues yet. Like pp said, I would think the threat of court would be enough to make someone pay up.
MarinaVanessa 08:33 AM 11-05-2018
Maybe something like ...

Dear DCPs,

This notice is to inform you of a new policy that I will be implementing at [daycare name]. A non-refundable security fee will now be required for each full or part-time child in the amount equivalent to two-weeks of care. This security fee will be applied towards paying for your child's final two weeks of care upon termination of our contract. As you are already aware payment for your child’s final two weeks of childcare is required regardless of whether or not the child attends daycare during that time and implementing this new requirement will make it easier for both you and I at the time that we must end our arrangement.

Your child's two-week security fee total is: _______.

If paying the security deposit in full creates a hardship I am glad to accept it in weekly payments of $25 which can be added to your child's weekly rate until your security fee is paid in full.

Thank you for your understanding. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely
Provider

Don't forget that if you accept payments you should draw up a seperate small contract for them to sign saying that they accept to pay you the minimum weekly payment, when it's due, no later than what time, what happens if they don't pay it (have it be the same as your non-payment/late payment policy etc) and have them sign that as well.
MarinaVanessa 08:41 AM 11-05-2018
I forgot to add ... also think about clients that move up from PT to FT or down from FT to PT and how you are going to handle the amounts. When my clients move up from PT to FT they have to pay me the additional amount for their 2-week fee (I call it a fee because deposit suggests that they are getting it back).

So if my 3-day a week PTer that pays $150/week and they gave me $300 for their security fee then later move up to FT which is $200/week they also have to give me an additional $100 to cover the rest of the $400 FT security fee. If they move down from FT to PT I don't return anything, not until they terminate and I use their security fee to pay for the last two weeks, then towards any fees they may still owe and anything else leftover I do return to them in the form of a check within 2 weeks of their last day.
Josiegirl 09:15 AM 11-05-2018
I don't do a 2 week deposit either but definitely think it's a good way to protect yourself in cases such as your 'friend' With friends like her....right?
I hope she comes through with the 2 weeks she owes you. I like the PPs who offered ways to write it out.
Rockgirl 09:44 AM 11-05-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
I don't do a deposit either, but I think parents would struggle with the idea of adding one while already in care. I would consider adding it to just new families, but that is just me. When it's time to end care, I don't want families sticking around just to get their 2 weeks worth of money if it hasn't been a good fit. Good families will tend to let you know further than 2 weeks ahead if they plan to leave.
This is what I was thinking. If I were to do it, it would be only for new enrollees. But yeah, if they want to be gone, bye-bye.
Ariana 11:18 AM 11-05-2018
I would also only do it for newly enrolled families.

For currently enrolled families you could require two week notice tuition to be paid upfront.
Tags:2 week deposit, deposit
Reply Up