Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole
SilverSabre25 05:17 AM 03-04-2011
I haven't made this yet, but I am SO GOING TO. Possibly today if I have the gluten-free subs on hand (I think I do). My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I think most kids would gobble this down in a heartbeat. I love food blogs. Check out the blog post for pics.

* 4 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
* 12 ounces, weight Egg Noodles (I Prefer Angel Hair)
* 1 whole Onion, Chopped
* 2 cloves Garlic, Pressed
* ½ cups Carrots, Chopped
* ½ cups Celery, Chopped
* ¼ cups Butter
* 1 can Cream Of Mushroom Soup (10 Ounce Can)
* 1 can Cream Of Chicken Soup (10 Ounce Can)
* ½ cups Sour Cream
* Salt And Pepper, to taste
* 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
* 1 package (1 Sleeve From A Standard, 16 Ounce Box) Ritz Crackers, Crushed

Preparation Instructions

In a large pot of boiling water drizzle some olive oil and 1 tablespoon of salt. Boil the chicken until done, about 20 minutes.

Cook the noodles in boiling water according to package instructions.

While the noodles are cooking, cut up the chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. Drain pasta and set aside. Finely chop onions, carrots and celery.

In a pot saute onion, pressed garlic, carrots, and celery in the butter. Cook until the onions appear translucent, add the mushroom soup, chicken soup, and sour cream. Mix well. Salt and pepper if needed.

Add the noodles, chicken, and parsley. Stir until fully coated. Transfer to a greased 9×13 pan.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with crackers and bake 5 – 10 more minutes.
KEG123 06:38 AM 03-04-2011
mmm. Sounds good.
Cat Herder 06:45 AM 03-04-2011
That sounds pretty cool and easy...

Does it freeze well?
SilverSabre25 06:48 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
That sounds pretty cool and easy...

Does it freeze well?
I imagine it would--leave off the cracker topping though, until just before you bake it.
Cat Herder 06:50 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I imagine it would--leave off the cracker topping though, until just before you bake it.
Ok, thanks!!!
melskids 10:28 AM 03-04-2011
i actually use almost that same recipe(omit butter and crackers), only i dump it all in the crockpot, (i cook the noodles seperate and add them last) it comes out like a stew. YUMMY!
daycare 02:47 PM 03-04-2011
mmmaannn i cant eat that , but it sounds like something my DCK can eat..

can you omitt the sour cream? what would you use it its place that is not dairy?
SilverSabre25 03:03 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
mmmaannn i cant eat that , but it sounds like something my DCK can eat..

can you omitt the sour cream? what would you use it its place that is not dairy?
I'd imagine you can omit the sour cream if you need to, or if there's a plain dairy-free yogurt (can you have goat's milk?) that has a yogurty sour flavor that should work as a substitute for the sour cream. As a DF sub for the cream soups, you could probably make a simple DF white sauce, flavor it with chicken broth/bouillon, and add mushrooms to the casserole. You'll have to experiment with amounts for flavor and liquid, but it should work.
daycare 03:05 PM 03-04-2011
lol sorry I should have been more clear no dairy of any kind.. Im vegan, I dont eat any kind of meat or dairy... The chicken I can omit, the soups I have vegan versions, but not sour cream
SilverSabre25 03:09 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol sorry I should have been more clear no dairy of any kind.. Im vegan, I dont eat any kind of meat or dairy... The chicken I can omit, the soups I have vegan versions, but not sour cream
ah, gotcha. I would think you can probably omit the sour cream okay then.
Candyland 08:31 PM 03-04-2011
yum! If you change out the noodles for spaghetti noodles, you've got the makings for Chicken Spaghetti/Tetrazzini. MMmmmmm
momatheart 10:48 AM 03-05-2011
I have made something similar. I have when in a pinch just cooked egg noodles and added cream of chicken soup to noodles and ate that. Fast and easy also a good side dish.
Symphony 05:21 PM 03-05-2011
I made this last night, it was yummy!
Unregistered 09:32 PM 08-27-2011
I have made this casserole using Angel Hair pasta. In fact, we (hubby and I) like it soooo much, I've made it several times. The next time I make it, I will be serving it to my daycare kids.
sharlan 05:47 PM 08-28-2011
I make something similar when I'm in a hurry.

1 box rotini (Ronzoni Smart Taste) - cooked
1 can cooked chicken (Sam's or CostCo) - shredded
chopped and sauteed onion, celery, bell pepper
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
handful of shredded cheese
sprinkle of Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, and pepper

Mix above together in a greased pan. Crush and sprinkle potato chips on top. Bake at #350 until bubbly, sprinkle another handful of cheese on top.

For our family dinner, I have either tossed green salad or cut up fruit to go with it.

Of course, neither of the little boys will eat it. I usually will set some noodles and chicken aside for them.
Abigail 07:16 PM 01-25-2013
[quote=SilverSabre25;89257]I haven't made this yet, but I am SO GOING TO. Possibly today if I have the gluten-free subs on hand (I think I do). My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I think most kids would gobble this down in a heartbeat. I love food blogs. Check out the blog post for pics.

QUOTE]

THANKS FOR THE SITE! I went and looked at the pictures and I LOVE how simple and broken down it was even with photos. I think I will try this and serve it this week and see if the kids like it. I have a three week menu and have just a few more things to try to serve randomly to make it into a four week menu by spring time! This is awesome because the chicken is the protein, the celery/carrots/some soup part of it count as one vege serving, and the noodles of course count as a grain! That is the most one dish is allowed to have according to the food program so I would just have to serve a fruit or vege and milk to complete a lunch. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
Tags:chicken, chicken noodle soup, recipe, soup
Reply Up