Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Fake It?
Soupyszoo 06:10 AM 03-30-2012
Has anyone ever faked being sick and closed for a day or two just to get a break??

I'm not going to lie... The thought has crossed my mind, but I've never actually done it. I get too paranoid about karma and stuff! Like saying, "sorry dcfs, DD is sick so I have to close." then next thing you know she actually does get sick.

Just wondering if anyone else has actually gone through with it
SunshineMama 06:15 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
Has anyone ever faked being sick and closed for a day or two just to get a break??

I'm not going to lie... The thought has crossed my mind, but I've never actually done it. I get too paranoid about karma and stuff! Like saying, "sorry dcfs, DD is sick so I have to close." then next thing you know she actually does get sick.

Just wondering if anyone else has actually gone through with it
I was hung-over once (yes... tisk tisk tisk) and I had such a bad headache that I called off.

That was the shadiest I have ever done- but hey- I was legitimately sick

I have closed 2 times in the past year, so I would not do that just because I would need to save that time off; dont want to close too many times.

But to answer your question honestly (if I didnt have to use any days before): Yes. I don't have "personal" days, and I feel that we all need a mental health day now and then. There is not a single one of my dcp' who have NOT taken time off from work, brought their kid to me, and took several mental health days for themselves. I am human and I deserve to as well.

When I would do sick days when I worked at the office I NEVER used my kids as an excuse, just for karma's sake. It was always me being sick.
nannyde 06:18 AM 03-30-2012
Naw
I haven't missed a day of work in 17 years... almost 18
Zoe 06:23 AM 03-30-2012
The thought has crossed my mind, but I haven't done it just because I don't want to inconvenience the parents (I have great ones though, if they weren't so great....).

If you feel you really do need a day off, then take a personal day! Give the parents an adequate amount of notice and just do it. You don't even need to tell them why. Just say you're taking a personal day.

This topic has come up before and it was very heated as I recall. But either way people respond, I say that there is nothing wrong with admitting you need some time and honestly taking it. Go for it!
Unregistered 06:26 AM 03-30-2012
Haven't taken a sick day in 17 years of being in business. Did have a family emergency once and had to close for 2 days, but that's it! I pride myself in being reliable and I work through everything. I do get 15 days of paid vacation a year though in addition to my paid holidays.

I have worked through everything, even when my own kids are sick. I always tell the parents, but no one seems to mind having them here being as they were most often the ones that brought it in!
kathiemarie 09:02 AM 03-30-2012
Don't lie. Just take a personal day. Be up front about it. You'll feel better and be able to enjoy the day.
Ariana 09:13 AM 03-30-2012
No I haven't. When I need a sick day I'm pretty sick. I just took one 2 days ago because of a bad head cold and a fever.
Mary Poppins 09:15 AM 03-30-2012
Is being sick of a particular dck a technicality? Before I termed my last one I considered taking a day off or three from HER, but I the other kids too much and would've missed them so I didn't.
lil angels 09:29 AM 03-30-2012
I have thought about it but never have. My neighbor does daycare and she goes drincking and calls her parents. Oh I have to take a sick day. I don't agree with it.
Sugar Magnolia 09:36 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Naw
I haven't missed a day of work in 17 years... almost 18
Ditto this. Six years. Screened and trained subs are very expensive. And so are mad parents.
GrannyJ 09:38 AM 03-30-2012
I would feel so guilty that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the day! I say give them notice and take a personal day. Do something for yourself, we all need that once in a while and I know all our parents do it all the time so why can't we?
Heidi 10:58 AM 03-30-2012
well, the last time I took a sick day, I was really sick the night before. I had chills, fever, etc. It had been progressing all afternoon, but I made it through the day (yeah naptime), and warned my dc parents for the next day.

At about 8pm I decided to call off dc for the following day. I slept in a little, and when I woke up at 8:30, I was fine. So I got a LOT of work done, and since it was Friday, had a nice work-free weekend.

I felt guilty, but only a little. I wasn't going to call of a sick day after it'd already started.

BTW: When I read "do you ever fake it?" I thought this was and OFF subject post!
SimpleMom 11:11 AM 03-30-2012
I take the time off when I need it. I get 5 paid personal days and paid Holidays/ per yr (Most Fed. Holidays). Anyway, I am reliable as I give the parents' two weeks plus for personal days. I have had to call in sick for my kiddos and one day for myself--plus a half a day once (both times I was beyond sick). Been doing the out of my home for 6.5 yrs.

Personal time is good. Keeps everyone fresh. I just make sure parent's are aware that I have them and that they have adaquate back-up. I used to get my own Subs, but because, yes, good subs are very hard to find and then to have them trained and screened, etc. I no longer can afford it.

It works here. I wouldn't lie about a sick day though. But I have to admit I get a little envious when I hear parent's tell me they are doing just that and then drop their kids off with me
Meeko 11:13 AM 03-30-2012
I started day care when my 27 year old son was an infant. In all those years I have taken 3 days as sick leave due to a hospital stay.
dEHmom 11:18 AM 03-30-2012
in the years i've been doing daycare, I've only had 2 sick days. One was because mom thought she had food poisoning, but turned out to be flu!

The other was a few weeks ago, because I spent the day at the hospital. Thought I was dying, but turned out to be kidney stones.

I did get lucky one friday though, where on the thursday kids were sick, throwing up, diarrhea, so i sent one home, and the other 2 ended up sick too, so i got the friday off.

I don't think I'd FAKE being sick, not worth the lie. But If you needed to take a day last minute for doctor appointment or something, that's understandable. If it were just 1 daycare family, it would be alot easier to just phone and say sorry, gotta close today. But with multiple families, that would be tough.
Jewels 11:20 AM 03-30-2012
I have never faked being sick, And I have called in sick once, and that was with the stomach flu, and pretty much everyone in the daycare had it and every parent got nailed with it also, I do not charge if I have to close due to illness, so to call in sick,, is very costly, where there are days where I miss the being able to "call in" from work, I would never do that, I also feel like kharma would pay me back for lying.
dEHmom 11:26 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I have never faked being sick, And I have called in sick once, and that was with the stomach flu, and pretty much everyone in the daycare had it and every parent got nailed with it also, I do not charge if I have to close due to illness, so to call in sick,, is very costly, where there are days where I miss the being able to "call in" from work, I would never do that, I also feel like kharma would pay me back for lying.
exactly! last time i was sick, it cost me twice my daily pay (had to credit the parents, AND pay a babysitter for my kids for 7 hours).

And Kharma always got me when I called in from my last job, because sure enough the next shift one of my kids was sick, and then the next day the other one was , then the 3rd one was.
Soupyszoo 11:49 AM 03-30-2012
That's the way I look at it too.

First I would be lying. Not a fan.
Second I like what I do! I wouldn't say I really "miss" anyone on the weekends but I like it when they're here most of the time.
Third karma's a bitch... Also not a fan
And lastly that I can think of right now... I don't charge if I close. So I would lose money.
Oh and I also don't like being unreliable.

It would be my luck I would "fake it" and the next week really need to close, and that just looks bad
AmyLeigh 12:56 PM 03-30-2012
Oh I was tempted this week. I was summoned for jury duty on Wednesday, so let the families know. They all arranged for back-up just in case. I called Tuesday afternoon, and wouldn't ya know, I didn't have to go. Part of me thought....all I have to do is say I have to go and I could have the day off. Hmmmm sounded so good. But I am a horrible liar. No poker face whatsoever. They would know the instant they saw me the next day.
I thought of taking it as a personal day, but since I have vacation coming up next month, I can hold off.
Heidi 01:00 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Oh I was tempted this week. I was summoned for jury duty on Wednesday, so let the families know. They all arranged for back-up just in case. I called Tuesday afternoon, and wouldn't ya know, I didn't have to go. Part of me thought....all I have to do is say I have to go and I could have the day off. Hmmmm sounded so good. But I am a horrible liar. No poker face whatsoever. They would know the instant they saw me the next day.
I thought of taking it as a personal day, but since I have vacation coming up next month, I can hold off.
Yeah, the sunburn from spending the day at the beach might have given it away!
AmyLeigh 01:09 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Yeah, the sunburn from spending the day at the beach might have given it away!

Almost fell out of my chair on that one!

Scot-Irish skin + Beach = Sunburn everytime!
wdmmom 01:09 PM 03-30-2012
Interestingly enough, I have not.

Now before doing daycare, it was nothing for me to call in 'sick', sometimes I really was but more often not!! If I had to count the days I called in sick in the outside work world, probably around 20. Between 1997 - 2009.
I have asked parents to pick up early because I had a migraine...it was only a half hour from normal pick up time.
KEG123 03:55 PM 03-31-2012
No I never have. Though when I was younger and worked at "regular jobs" I did every once in a while. Now I know that I would directly inconvenience my daycare families which I don't want to do. I always give as much notice as possible. Only day I've taken off is yesterday! (and I have been open nearly 1 year) and it was to take my son to a preschool screening.
Zoe 07:59 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Interestingly enough, I have not.

Now before doing daycare, it was nothing for me to call in 'sick', sometimes I really was but more often not!! If I had to count the days I called in sick in the outside work world, probably around 20. Between 1997 - 2009.
I have asked parents to pick up early because I had a migraine...it was only a half hour from normal pick up time.
Originally Posted by KEG123:
No I never have. Though when I was younger and worked at "regular jobs" I did every once in a while. Now I know that I would directly inconvenience my daycare families which I don't want to do. I always give as much notice as possible. Only day I've taken off is yesterday! (and I have been open nearly 1 year) and it was to take my son to a preschool screening.

I think a lot of faking and calling in sick has to do mostly with how much you hate your job! I know that doing what I did before doing daycare, oh man! I called in sick so much! It was so unprofessional but I just didn't care. I hated doing what I did. Now I'd never consider it. I have no need! The personal days help with burnout of course.
mema 08:33 PM 03-31-2012
I have not and would not-daycare wise anyway. I did in my previous job. Numerous times actually. I was rarely sick, but was sick of my boss and his so called "rules" and favortism. I figured since my children were rarely sick and I was rarely sick, I would take personal health days for my sanity. It was also for his well being-many times I could have strangled him or ran him over in the parking lot, so I figured it was better to call in then go to jail (I wouldn't ever do anything to anyone, but man sometimes one can dream)
My3cents 10:30 AM 04-02-2012
No-

If ever I am sick, I want to be able to take the time off needed and have my parents fully understand I am truly not well.

Not good business either. IF you need a day off, call it a personal day and have at it. My days like that are called weekends.
Reply Up