Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Working in a Daycare
MJM58 05:58 AM 05-30-2012
Hello!

It's very likely that I'll be getting a job this summer as a daycare assistant. I'm very good with children, and I'm excited about the job. It sounds more fun than working in retail (but I also recognize that it can be very stressful).

Anyway, my real question is how messy is working in a daycare? I know that babies in general are messy, but what with looking after 12 kids with 3 people in the room, how bad will it get? I'm kind of squeamish, and that's really the only thing I'm worried about before going into this job.

By messy, I mean things like drool, snot, spit-up, vomit, pee, baby poop (especially the projectile poop and diaper blow-out horror stories I've heard before). How often does this stuff happen?

Thanks!
Zoe 06:03 AM 05-30-2012
Kids can be gross. There's really no mystery there. It all depends on if the children are well vs. sick, infants vs. preschoolers. Infants are the ones who drool, spit up, poop in their diapers, etc. If you're squeamish about that stuff, then I'd recommend not working with infants or toddlers (basically anyone under the age of 2.) You could always grow out of your squeamishness, but yeah. Be prepared for bodily fluids.
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by MJM58:
Hello!

It's very likely that I'll be getting a job this summer as a daycare assistant. I'm very good with children, and I'm excited about the job. It sounds more fun than working in retail (but I also recognize that it can be very stressful).

Anyway, my real question is how messy is working in a daycare? I know that babies in general are messy, but what with looking after 12 kids with 3 people in the room, how bad will it get? I'm kind of squeamish, and that's really the only thing I'm worried about before going into this job.

By messy, I mean things like drool, snot, spit-up, vomit, pee, baby poop (especially the projectile poop and diaper blow-out horror stories I've heard before). How often does this stuff happen?

Thanks!
Hello....first, I HAVE to say, I mean absolutely no disrespect but

You WILL get dirty. Child care is messy. Kids are messy. You will have things you didn't even know could be sticky, stuck to you, you will have snot, drool, and all sorts of things on you. Kids will sneeze on you, cough on you and wipe their hands and faces on you.

I get that you are squimish, but honestly kids are messy. I am sorry, but I don't know any other way to say it.

I can't even begin to list the things I have come into contact with doing child care. When kids are allowed to FULLY explore their environment and surroundings, it is a messy. Not only body fluids, but food, drink, paint, glue, clay, playdough, markers and ALL sorts of other things too.

I think the best advice I can give you is seriously work on getting over your squimishness because you ARE going to get dirty/messy/sticky/slimey etc.....but you are also going to get hugs and kisses and cuddles and all sorts of other types of affection and appreciation from the kids you help care for so in my honest opinion.......it is pretty much a fair trade.
Willow 06:18 AM 05-30-2012
Yeah, squeamish isn't exactly a good thing to be when it comes to kids lol

You are right that babies are near constantly messing themselves one way or another. My personal favorite is blow ups that go right up the back, and many urp up a bit every time you feed/burp them which early on can be as often as every 2-3 hours. Extends out from there as far as time and frequency goes.

Toddlers you don't have to worry about that as much, just boogers at times and diaper changes (but to be honest, their diapers even though they're usually contained smell much worse as they're eating all regular foods). They really shouldn't be vomiting at daycare unless they unexpectedly become ill, if that happens they should be sent home immediately. Same deal with diarrhea. You can check how your particular daycare's policies deal with such events.

Most people not familiar with all the "wonderful" bodily functions of kids usually desensitize pretty quickly. Before I had my own I was terrified too, but with time you'll be doing and handling things you never thought you'd be able to handle before, with ease!

Good luck! Enjoy the fun!
Sunchimes 06:27 AM 05-30-2012
My favorite is when they come up to you, tell you they love you, hug your leg, then wipe their nose on it while they are at it. Not bad with jeans, but sort of gross when you wear shorts.

Honestly, none of it bothers me any more, except for one thing. I can. not. suction a baby's nose. I can't even watch it. Luckily, I haven't had a need to do it in a long, long time.

I think that the dread of what might be is usually worse than the actual stuff. Once you've been there a week, you won't even think of it. Fill your pockets with kleenex so you always have one handy and dive in. You might someday have easier, higher paying jobs, but you will never have one that makes you smile as much!
CheekyChick 08:53 AM 05-30-2012
There is not a day that we don't have pee-pee or poo-poo blowouts (if not both), countless poopy diapers, snot, spit, drool, coughing in the face, sneezes in the face, etc. Good times. LOL!

This is a messy job. These little buggers are adorable but full of gunk.
saved4always 11:03 AM 05-30-2012
Hello!

Thanks!
Pretty much all of the above, some of them every day. Even in a small group, there is almost always a child with a runny nose (which usually results in all the kids with a runny nose). Some kids drool and spit up constantly. Pee and poop are part of the job every day. Diaper blow outs may not happen every day but they do happen (I personally have never encountered projectile poop). Vomiting doesn't happen as often as the rest, but it will happen some time. So...if you are going to work in a daycare, you will need to get over any squeamish feelings you have about bodily fluids cuz there is no avoiding them in this job. Definitely wear clothing that you don't care about.
jenny31052 01:28 PM 05-30-2012
LOL -

My infants have grown into toddlers, so I right now I no longer have to mess with projectile vomit, exploding diapers, burping, and so on... however, now I have a 4 years old that can't feel when his nose needs to be wiped, a 2 1/2 years old that poops 5 times a day (a FULL diaper); not considering those that are potty training, and have accidents, or/and needs help with wiping, and whatelse!...
Luckily we just got over colds, coughs, and constantly dripping noses... because, yes, they will cough on you, and they will clean their nose on your clothes...

Yep, kids are messy... more as infants, less as they get older, but they can still be yukky sometimes...

A suggestion with no offense: either you work hard to get used to it, or you may want to consider another job
Bookworm 01:48 PM 05-30-2012
3s and 4s can be just as messy as infants/toddlers. It doesn't matter how old they are, at some point, you will come in contact with pee, poop, snot etc. Art projects can also be messy, especially anything involving paint or shaving cream. IMO, if you are the sort that doesn't like to get their hands or clothes dirty, then daycare is not for you. Sorry.
MJM58 05:35 AM 05-31-2012
Thanks a lot for the replies, everyone. And glad to give a few of you some laughs! I'm still interested in working with children, even though you've all made it very clear to me that it's going to get messy. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it when it happens.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 05-31-2012
Thanks a lot for the replies, everyone. And glad to give a few of you some laughs! I'm still interested in working with children, even though you've all made it very clear to me that it's going to get messy. Guess I'll just have to grin and bear it when it happens.
You will get used to it....I promise! The trade off though is sooooo worth it! I am glad we didn't scare you off.

By this time 6 months from now, you will wonder why you were worried at all in the first place!

You are already on the right track with realizing that working with kids IS ALOT more fun than retail!
Abigail 06:40 PM 06-01-2012
Hello!

Thanks!
Is this just a summer job? Did you get interviewed yet? They'll ask why you want the job so if you were interviewed already how did you answer that question?

The main advice I have when I worked with 18 kids and 2-3 others is to be nice and get along with the other adults in the room. That will make your job even more wonderful especially when you're just getting exposed to working around children. I remember when I first started in a large group setting and asking questions like "What do I say if the kids ask me to build it taller (referring to legos as high as they could reach) when it doesn't need to get taller?" I remember a bunch of funny things I said, but mostly remember to just ask questions and you'll learn. Sometimes you need help just starting out like how to hold a blow-out diaper and wipes and gloves and keeping the hands and feet out of the way, etc. Just ask for help when you start. Those moments are just short and the overall fun moments last forever.
jokalima 01:49 PM 06-02-2012
Yeap, you will grow out of it is true. When I started working in DC I sued to wear nice clothes, make up, nice shoes lol silly me, I always had boogers on my shirt, a kid threw up on my face ones, if we do art my pants have hand prints, my shoes have bleach dots as well as some of my clothes oh yeah and did I mentioned kids vomiting on me? I just gave up, no more nice clothes, make up or noting nice just me and my love
Tags:assistant, assistant - summer, daycare - experience
Reply Up