Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Pregnant Moms, Who To Choose?
kateskiddos 06:16 PM 06-10-2013
My first mom is due in November . I now have her school age child after school most days ( 1-2 hrs) per day. Baby would be here about 35-40 hrs per week
Second mom is due in January . I have her 11 month old child now about 50 hrs a week. I will only have room for 1 spot and would prefer my second family but don't know how to tell mom #1 since technically she was first.. Has anyone dealt with this before and what did you do?
Moppetland 07:02 PM 06-10-2013
It would be fair to give the slot to the first family since they were there first, but it will be more profitable to you if you take the second. I know I didn't help much
blandino 07:17 PM 06-10-2013
Think of yourself first. Will you loose both the children if you can't accommodate the sibiling ?

If that's the case, I would take the sibiling of the full-time child. If you take the sibling of the SA child, and lose the FT child - you will be making less money, correct ?

I always give precedence to siblings of children currently enrolled, and in yor case within that group, I would give preference to the sibilings of FT children.
Leigh 07:18 PM 06-10-2013
Does #1 know about #2? Could you tell her that #2 secured the spot first by telling you first? If not, tell #1 (ONLY if she asks) that you were forced to make a decision based on what is best for your business. Let her know you would be losing TWO full-time kids (rather than a full and a part) if you chose her child, and let her know that you felt it in 11-month old's best interests to not interrupt care at an age where separation is so difficult. Let her know how much you appreciate her, and that you are sorry to be forced to make the decision, but that you can't lose $$$$ per month to accommodate her. IF you know of any other awesome providers in your area, give her a list of names.
preschoolteacher 07:21 PM 06-10-2013
It's not about who was first or what is fair in my opinion. You really need to make the best decision for your business. I would tell Mom #1 that you need to fill the spot with a full-time client and that you have a full-time client interested in the space. Let her know that if she changes to full-time care that the spot will remain hers, but otherwise you will have to give it to the second family.

If Mom #1 really wants to stay with you, she might consider paying for full-time care to reserve the spot even if she's not using it.
daycare 08:26 PM 06-10-2013
my polices state that full time will always have priority over part time no matter how long you have been here.
TheGoodLife 08:32 PM 06-10-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
It's not about who was first or what is fair in my opinion. You really need to make the best decision for your business. I would tell Mom #1 that you need to fill the spot with a full-time client and that you have a full-time client interested in the space. Let her know that if she changes to full-time care that the spot will remain hers, but otherwise you will have to give it to the second family.

If Mom #1 really wants to stay with you, she might consider paying for full-time care to reserve the spot even if she's not using it.
I'd say it's not what is "fair" to the DCPs, it's your business and livelihood! Full-time trumps PT, have you agreed a spot to either one officially yet? If she brings it up, I would suggest letting DCM #1 know that you do not know yet if there will be a spot available, since it is so far in the future, but that her new baby will be the first one to reserve it. You never know if someone else will leave in the meantime- it's a LONG time away still.
bunnyslippers 03:45 AM 06-11-2013
I had this happen, and hired an assistant and took both babies. Both were good families, and I didn't want to lose either one.
JenNJ 05:09 AM 06-11-2013
Dull time always trumps part time. Its even in my contract.
Cat Herder 06:32 AM 06-11-2013
Full time wins, every time.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
my polices state that full time will always have priority over part time no matter how long you have been here.

Also, I do NOT enroll infants unless they are a sibling to an already FULL time child.

So for me, the first family would automatically not be enrolled as their other child is a SA'er and I don't consider the SA'ers anchor kids or stable income so I would go with the second family for sure.

I do this to make an income. My decisions are based on how much money each situation can generate. Sorry if that sounds bad but I'm not going to lie, I love my job but I still do it for the money no matter how you slice it.
Crazy8 09:25 AM 06-12-2013
I would go with the 2nd one. I am in the same boat right now, but my decision was based on hours, I don't want the one with the later pick up time even though she was pregnant first. Thankfully from the day she got pregnant I always said "we'll see" about having a spot for the baby!
Reply Up