Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Who Have Employees
BumbleBee 11:45 AM 04-09-2016
What pre-employment training do you pay for? In my state an employee (assistant) has to have current first aid/cpr, a physical, a tb test, a background check before working in the daycare as well as blood borne pathogen training within 90 days of hire. Those are the ones that cost money. They also have to have safe sleep training, shaken baby syndrome training, and a department of human services background check-but those are all free.

Adding it all up it runs between $200 & $250 just to begin employment. I have NO problem paying this I'm just wondering what the norm is for pre-employment training.
sahm1225 12:24 PM 04-09-2016
I have the background check, tb test and physical completed before they get hired. The first aid/cpr I pay for after they get hired and isually when they've been with me for about 6 months.
The cost is something I claim on my taxes.
BumbleBee 01:20 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I have the background check, tb test and physical completed before they get hired. The first aid/cpr I pay for after they get hired and isually when they've been with me for about 6 months.
The cost is something I claim on my taxes.
So do they initially pay for the first aid/cpr then you pay them back? In my state they have to have it before beginning employment.
ColorfulSunburst 02:15 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
So do they initially pay for the first aid/cpr then you pay them back? In my state they have to have it before beginning employment.
it is not simple to find an employee who fits. If I pay from my pocket for all of them I would have lost a lot of money.
If an assistant has been with me for 6 months I can pay her back.
BumbleBee 02:30 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
it is not simple to find an employee who fits. If I pay from my pocket for all of them I would have lost a lot of money.
Yeah I just learned that the hard way. I just wasn't sure what the norm was. I'll be moving to the pay back after 6 months.
sahm1225 03:10 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
We're required to have just one person with first aid & cpr (that would be me). I typically put in my hiring ads that I'm looking for someone who has first aid & cpr preferred.

If I was you, then I would have them pay and you can credit them back on their 90 day review? But I'm not sure if that's allowed.
Part of me thinks you can just make it part of the hiring process that they need those qualifications. It's something they keep even if they leave, so it's required certification.
BumbleBee 03:40 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
We're required to have just one person with first aid & cpr (that would be me). I typically put in my hiring ads that I'm looking for someone who has first aid & cpr preferred.

If I was you, then I would have them pay and you can credit them back on their 90 day review? But I'm not sure if that's allowed.
Part of me thinks you can just make it part of the hiring process that they need those qualifications. It's something they keep even if they leave, so it's required certification.
I'll have to look into it more. I tried making it part of the hiring process the first time around and nobody who contacted me to interview had it. Most people around here don't. But I'm willing to try it again this time around.
Former Teacher 04:24 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
My former center director spent a small fortune on CPR classes, notarized statements, background checks etc. Finally after 3 or 4 people who didn't follow through with an actual employment, she decided that the employees would pay for everything and then after 90 days (probation period) she would reimburse the employee.

Simple solution!
spedmommy4 07:45 PM 04-09-2016
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
My former center director spent a small fortune on CPR classes, notarized statements, background checks etc. Finally after 3 or 4 people who didn't follow through with an actual employment, she decided that the employees would pay for everything and then after 90 days (probation period) she would reimburse the employee.

Simple solution!
This is exactly what I do. I require my employees to have everything. I reimbursem after the probationary period. Sometimes they don't start or aren't the right fit.
snbauser 10:18 AM 04-10-2016
I always made the background check, cpr/first aid and tb test a requirement in order to be hired. Those are the requirements in order to be left alone with the kids and although initially I wouldn't plan on leaving them alone, you never know when something will come up. After 3 months if they were still with me I would reimburse them as long as they gave me the receipts. After they had been there for 3 months I would also pay for any annual training they needed and for recertification in cpr/first aid.

It may be harder to find someone with those requirements, but honestly if they want the job, they will do it. And if they don't want to do it, then chances are they are the type that wouldn't last long anyway.
BumbleBee 11:21 AM 04-10-2016
Thank you to everyone who responded. I hired my first official employee early this year and paid for everything. She is amazing and I couldn't ask for a better employee. Unfortunately life has thrown her a curve ball and she's moving on. I completely understand why she's making this decision and in her shoes I would probably do the same thing. I can't fault her for trying to make life more comfortable for herself.
Thriftylady 02:09 PM 04-10-2016
I agree with a reimbursement down the line. Otherwise I could see how it could be costly for you. Or if you wanted, you could pay part now and the rest later.
BumbleBee 03:31 PM 04-10-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I agree with a reimbursement down the line. Otherwise I could see how it could be costly for you. Or if you wanted, you could pay part now and the rest later.
I'm thinking I will repay 1/2 after 90 days and the other 1/2 after 6 months. I'm working on a post in the private area with more details about what is going on.
Tags:assistant, costs, employee, employee - training, pre-employment training, training
Reply Up