Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Help! Leak in Playroom
spud912 04:57 PM 11-16-2015
So....it was bound to happen at some point in my 5 years with in-home daycare. We have a leak from the water line on our fridge. The wall behind the fridge separates the kitchen from the playroom. So as you may have guessed, the leak went under the wall and soaked into the playroom carpet under our little reading corner couch. We have to move the couch and pull up the carpet. That area is the first thing your eyes see when you walk into my house, so there is no way parents won't notice a blockade and lifted carpet. What should I tell parents? I don't want them to think there will be mold everywhere and their kids will be unsafe. This is a new leak and it will be fixed tonight. The walls and ground will be decontaminated with bleach and the carpet will be steam cleaned once it dries out. Advice??
bklsmum 05:27 PM 11-16-2015
I would just explain it and leave it at that. Chances are every one of them have had a leak of some sort in their homes at some point in their lives and they know you work out of your home so they should understand.
Thriftylady 05:37 PM 11-16-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I would just explain it and leave it at that. Chances are every one of them have had a leak of some sort in their homes at some point in their lives and they know you work out of your home so they should understand.
I agree. Even a center isn't immune from such a thing. It happened you are dealing with it end of story.
Snowmom 08:45 AM 11-17-2015
I've been there!
That's a pain, sorry you have to deal with it!

I have a three level split and the playroom is in the lowest level. 3 years ago we had a 3 day long power outage and our sump pump failed.
We had to rip out all the carpet and spray drywall (mold preventative) and replace trim. Insurance came: $10k in damages.

I ended up closing for about a week while we cleaned and threw out stuff. New carpet took a week before installation, so I moved our playroom upstairs temporarily. The whole process was about a month.

I just told them the truth- basement flooded.
We had a mold inspector out and I made sure to tell them that. We were cleared of any spores/mold.
Life happens!
spud912 09:21 AM 11-17-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I've been there!
That's a pain, sorry you have to deal with it!

I have a three level split and the playroom is in the lowest level. 3 years ago we had a 3 day long power outage and our sump pump failed.
We had to rip out all the carpet and spray drywall (mold preventative) and replace trim. Insurance came: $10k in damages.

I ended up closing for about a week while we cleaned and threw out stuff. New carpet took a week before installation, so I moved our playroom upstairs temporarily. The whole process was about a month.

I just told them the truth- basement flooded.
We had a mold inspector out and I made sure to tell them that. We were cleared of any spores/mold.
Life happens!
That sounds awful! Yes when we pulled up the carpet it wasn't too bad. Water logged for sure, but the carpet cleaner pulled up about 2 gallons so that helps. It's almost dry today.
Snowmom 07:21 PM 11-17-2015
I'm glad it wasn't too bad! If you DO need carpet, Costco ended up being the cheapest around here and it's held up really well so far. Actually, it still looks brand new!
Tags:home repair, water leak
Reply Up