Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safe Climbing Activities
AnythingsPossible 05:51 AM 01-25-2012
I am hoping someone has some advice for me! I have 4 one year olds in care right now and all they want to do is climb! I know that this is a develpmental stage for them and don't want to discourage climbing, I am looking for ideas on SAFE constructive ideas to promote this skill they are so drawn to.
Looking for indoor ideas on something cheap and cheerfull! Right now, they climb on our chairs and try to stand on them, or climb up, sit backwards and shake the crumb out of them! Would you just let them go ahead and climb on the chairs, but stop them when they try to stand? How do you all provide space indoors for this type of activity?
My3cents 08:54 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
I am hoping someone has some advice for me! I have 4 one year olds in care right now and all they want to do is climb! I know that this is a develpmental stage for them and don't want to discourage climbing, I am looking for ideas on SAFE constructive ideas to promote this skill they are so drawn to.
Looking for indoor ideas on something cheap and cheerfull! Right now, they climb on our chairs and try to stand on them, or climb up, sit backwards and shake the crumb out of them! Would you just let them go ahead and climb on the chairs, but stop them when they try to stand? How do you all provide space indoors for this type of activity?
go outside.

No I would not let them climb on whatever they want. How is that teaching them? It's dangerous.

Movement-music-dance- time to shake out the wiggles. Stretches-

Unless you have a gym in your home or center, no I wouldn't encourage climbing inside, unless you had soft blocks or a low to the floor climber, protected with soft flooring.

Four year olds should be able to climb onto a chair to sit. No need to be standing-

Depends on your space and how you have it set up-
lpperry 09:06 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:

Four year olds should be able to climb onto a chair to sit. No need to be standing-
I read it as four year olds at first too, but the OP is talking about 1 year olds. She has four children who are all 1 year old who like to climb.

I let the 1 year olds climb into the child size chairs, but I don't let them stand in them. I don't allow climbing onto adult size chairs. In our play area, we have an older couch that I don't care about. I like to take the cushions off and set them up on the floor. The kids can climb and bounce all they want and they love it.

Other ideas are short, wide boxes, they like to climb and sit on those too.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 01-25-2012
I bought two of those plastic stair-steppers used for aerobic classes and my toddlers climb up one side and off the other ALL day! 1 year olds don't need anything big or expensive, just something simple to keep their natural instincts satisfied.

Mine have chairs (child-size) to climb on also but we NEVER EVER allow standing on a chairs, that would become a bad habit that would only need to be addressed later...plus it is a safety issue and there are NO exceptions to safety issues.

I say get yourself a couple little step stools or steppers or if you have the money and the room, I'd look at one of those small Little Tike climbers.
Ariana 09:36 AM 01-25-2012
At the daycare centre where I used to work we had large foam blocks in different shapes that they would climb on, we also had a small slide that you can get at Ikea. Not sure where you would get the foam blocks though...maybe an educational supply store.

As for my kids we just go to the park and climb there. I also have a large step stool that they like to climb and jump off but it requires one on one supervision and my kids are older.
youretooloud 09:41 AM 01-25-2012
I have a whole room full of things for them to climb on. There is one room with seven climbable things. The other rooms are non climbing rooms.

We have one of those plastic adjustable tables in the playroom, but it turned into a fort, and now they climb on top of it. Although, I think an under two yr old would be too small for that.

We have a couple of used outdoor climbers inside. I got them off of craigslist, and even the very little ones can climb on those.

The old Milk crates are great for climbing.

I also use the step aerobics things for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-All-Star.../dp/B0015GMFNS <--this thing is WAY too small. It's not even safe.
blueclouds29 10:49 AM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
http://www.amazon.com/Step2-All-Star.../dp/B0015GMFNS <--this thing is WAY too small. It's not even safe.
I have the exact same thing and my kids LOVE IT!! I have 4 kids under 2 and its perfect cause in the winter i can bring it inside, fits right through my doorways.

ANd its safe, never had a problem with it.
youretooloud 11:05 AM 01-25-2012
I have the exact same thing and my kids LOVE IT!! I have 4 kids under 2 and its perfect cause in the winter i can bring it inside, fits right through my doorways.

ANd its safe, never had a problem with it.
Maybe my kids are just too bulky.. ours folds up at the bottom and then tips over.
blueclouds29 12:23 PM 01-25-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Maybe my kids are just too bulky.. ours folds up at the bottom and then tips over.
Folds up? mine doesn't fold.. the slide and the steps are screwed in to the base.
youretooloud 01:17 PM 01-25-2012
Folds up? mine doesn't fold.. the slide and the steps are screwed in to the base.
The bottom is not strong enough to hold the kids up, so it just bends and folds, then tips over.... It's not supposed to.

We took the slide and bridge thingy off, and they use those to play with.
Reply Up