Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Veterans: Seeking Outside Play Advice For The 1 Year Olds
SunshineMama 10:11 AM 03-13-2012
Anyone have any advice for a non-walking 15 month old boy who hates enclosures/fences/super yards etc while we are outside?

I can easily manage all of my older tots, but I have two 1 year olds-- one is super mobile and all over everything (climbing, running, etc), so I have to keep a very close eye on her. The other is a crawler, but hates being in enclosures, super yards, fences, etc. My yard is not fenced, and I cannot afford one right now. Neither 1 year old will stay put and they crawl (or run) in opposite directions. My HOA will not approve a partial fence, so I can put 2-3 superyards together, but the kid still screams.

I want to play outside all day long but it is not fun right now because I am constantly chasing these two. The active 1 year old is getting pretty good on the climbing equipment, but I still have to be there to catch her.

Do any of you have any super awesome tricks for non-walkers outside, who would scream in a super yard/etc otherwise? (Can't have crying outside- the neighbors would not be happy about that).
MarinaVanessa 10:32 AM 03-13-2012
Could it be that the babies are just not interested in the toys that they have to play with inside the play yard? What about putting some neat tunnels and crawl-through toys inside the play yards with the babies. A few months ago I went to costco and bought a kids' tent-like thing with a tunnel for about $30. It's frame is made of white tubing.

If you got something like this and put it inside with different sensory toys like balls with different textures and in different sizes, shaking toys with sand/beads/bells, etc. maybe they'll be more interested? What do you put inside the play yards when the babies are in them?
daycare 10:37 AM 03-13-2012
sanbox

water table with tons of toys

Fill a large pan (like one you mix cement in) with a little bit of water, bubbles, paint or food dye. Give the kids spoons, cups to pour into each other and etc.

I bet you they will be there forever...

All of my kids love it. I also give the flour, cornstarch or anything that will change the texture of the water to them and let them mix it in.
MarinaVanessa 11:00 AM 03-13-2012
I have a 16 month DS old and we use a sand and water table and let me tell you, he does LOVE it. If the rest of your group can play well without constant supervision you can play your play-yards near the other kids play area and put both of the 1yo in there and I bet they'd be just fine. Your new problem will be the other kids wanting to get inside the play-yard to play with the sand and water too lol.

When it comes to 1yo however, you will need to directly supervise them. Never leave a child alone near water and they'll probably try to fling and eat at least some of the sand. Just be near them while they play. I don't know why I didn't think about the sand/water table, we use ours daily
SilverSabre25 11:34 AM 03-13-2012
Socks over the hands of a crawler to help prevent *some* of the mouthing of weird things they spot on the ground! (My DS solved the conundrum by learning to just lean over and pick things up with his mouth like a puppy but it helps a bit).

Can you get permission to put up a "temporary" fence with stakes and chicken wire (you could do the plastic kind, and you can get it green so it's not too ugly)?
SunshineMama 11:52 AM 03-13-2012
Great ideas! It sounds like I need to upgrade some of the toys that I am putting in with them. A sand/water table is a great idea, so is a tunnel. I have both so that will be an easy fix.

I will have to ask the HOA about a temporary fence- they might go for it, and it will be a lot cheaper than a regular one.

Hopefully these ideas will work for the little guy!

Thanka ladies!
daycare 11:54 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Great ideas! It sounds like I need to upgrade some of the toys that I am putting in with them. A sand/water table is a great idea, so is a tunnel. I have both so that will be an easy fix.

I will have to ask the HOA about a temporary fence- they might go for it, and it will be a lot cheaper than a regular one.

Hopefully these ideas will work for the little guy!

Thanka ladies!
When I had littles, I would put a makeshift gate between the olders and the littles.

This way no one got hurt. I always had the same activity on each side of the gate. Imagine a square with a line put through it. I did it all with the superyard gates....
daycare 11:54 AM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
When I had littles, I would put a makeshift gate between the olders and the littles.

This way no one got hurt. I always had the same activity on each side of the gate. Imagine a square with a line put through it. I did it all with the superyard gates....
when the olders were done, I kicked them out of the square, removed the divider and let the olders go play with the bikes or something. I then added push cars or small bikes to the littles area
cheerfuldom 11:56 AM 03-13-2012
If the screamer is crying and making everyone else miserable, can you safely put them inside while you and the others are out? For instance, we have a huge glass sliding door that leads out to the backyard. For awhile, I had a 2 year old that would just cry about everything outside....had nothing to do with anything, she just went through a crying phase. My playroom is child proof and completely enclosed so I would put her right inside the glass door (where she would cry) and we all went outside to play (I could see her the whole time). I know that might seem kind of harsh but it was either that for awhile or term her. The crying made everyone miserable outside and I am sure the neighbors weren't happy either. Eventually she got over this phase and plays outside much more happily.

As for the multiple toddlers, I have a baby swing outside and used to take turns putting one baby in there at a time so that I could have one less kiddo to watch. It wasn't for long periods, the babies would take turns swinging and never seemed to mind it. Now my two toddlers are walking well and my youngest (10 months) just crawls all over the place and doesnt ask for a thing or get into too much trouble.
SunshineMama 12:48 PM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If the screamer is crying and making everyone else miserable, can you safely put them inside while you and the others are out? For instance, we have a huge glass sliding door that leads out to the backyard. For awhile, I had a 2 year old that would just cry about everything outside....had nothing to do with anything, she just went through a crying phase. My playroom is child proof and completely enclosed so I would put her right inside the glass door (where she would cry) and we all went outside to play (I could see her the whole time). I know that might seem kind of harsh but it was either that for awhile or term her. The crying made everyone miserable outside and I am sure the neighbors weren't happy either. Eventually she got over this phase and plays outside much more happily.

As for the multiple toddlers, I have a baby swing outside and used to take turns putting one baby in there at a time so that I could have one less kiddo to watch. It wasn't for long periods, the babies would take turns swinging and never seemed to mind it. Now my two toddlers are walking well and my youngest (10 months) just crawls all over the place and doesnt ask for a thing or get into too much trouble.
I actually have considered letting him stay inside while the rest of us play- I guess I just feel bad because I want him to enjoy the sunshine and nice weather too. But it may be an issue of term versus keep, since I am having other issues with him as well (constantly sick- diaharea and green snot sick ), him being a crier outside might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I am holding on to the idea that summer is magical and will change all of his behaviors and he will start walking and playing and not be sick all the dang time! (Fingers crossed)
cheerfuldom 01:06 PM 03-13-2012
Why not at least try the indoor thing and then decide? You can see him, he is supervised, he is not crying indoors or upset, then I dont see the harm in this scenario. Sounds like a better option for now then terming, assuming your regulations allow this type of thing
quailsgarden 02:35 PM 03-13-2012
I have a 13 month old crawler and he likes to be on the move at all times. I have started putting a pair of splash pants on him and knit mittens on. This way he can crawl pretty much where ever and be with the the other kids with out being confined to one area.
Tags:1 year old, outside play ideas
Reply Up