Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lack of Communication (regarding scheduling)
GretasLittleFriends 07:59 PM 04-04-2010
I've been having issues with lack of communication lately. Particularly with one family, but I'm just frustrated with the mom and grandma, it's not worth terminating yet, however, it is worth reiterating my contract / policies.

I'm planning on handing a letter out to ALL of my families and requiring they sign a copy to leave here. Not sure how to close it, other than with signature lines. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Recently there have been issues with communication of schedules. While I am rather flexible when it comes to scheduling and I understand that schedules can change, I do need advanced notice of schedules so that I can plan accordingly. Because I am willing to operate 24/7, I don’t mind having a child here later in the evening as long as I am aware of that fact ahead of time. This allows me to plan sleep schedules for everyone, myself included, and still provide maximum care for everyone involved. To help prevent further issues, the following points are provided to clarify and reiterate the terms of my contract.

jen 09:03 PM 04-04-2010
Is $1 for every 15 minutes a typo?
misol 10:06 PM 04-04-2010
Originally Posted by jen:
Is $1 for every 15 minutes a typo?
I wondered the same thing. That seems WAY too low. After the first 7 minutes, mine is $1 per minute (which is what most centers around here charge).
AfterSchoolMom 04:24 AM 04-05-2010
I agree - that's way low. I charge a dollar a minute and I don't have a grace period!

Other than that, though, I think it sounds fine...very professional.
gbcc 04:36 AM 04-05-2010
For closing you could just state. Should you have any questions regarding the new policies please don't hesitate to clarify. Thank you in advance for your coorperation.
momofboys 05:26 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I've been having issues with lack of communication lately. Particularly with one family, but I'm just frustrated with the mom and grandma, it's not worth terminating yet, however, it is worth reiterating my contract / policies.

I'm planning on handing a letter out to ALL of my families and requiring they sign a copy to leave here. Not sure how to close it, other than with signature lines. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Recently there have been issues with communication of schedules. While I am rather flexible when it comes to scheduling and I understand that schedules can change, I do need advanced notice of schedules so that I can plan accordingly. Because I am willing to operate 24/7, I don’t mind having a child here later in the evening as long as I am aware of that fact ahead of time. This allows me to plan sleep schedules for everyone, myself included, and still provide maximum care for everyone involved. To help prevent further issues, the following points are provided to clarify and reiterate the terms of my contract.
  • A written schedule will be established for each child in my care.
  • If there are changes to scheduled days, I must be notified no later than the night before if you need child care on an unscheduled day.
  • If the scheduled drop off time needs to change, I must be notified no later than the night before if you will be dropping of your child at a different time that scheduled.
  • If the scheduled pick up time needs to change, I must be notified of the change at the time you drop off your child.
  • Per the contract you signed, a late fee of $1.00 for every 15 minutes will be charged when you are late picking up your child without prior notice.
I think you need to word it so you get MORE than one day's notice. That is not much notice in my opinion. I'd say 3 business days if it were me. I also agree with everyone else, $1 per every 15 min is very low, especailly if we are talking about unscheduled overtime. I'd make it at least $5 per every 15 min.
Unregistered 05:27 AM 04-05-2010
I would just add that when they notify you the night before for schedule changes, late/early arrivals, etc. that it be by a certain time, say 8pm or so. Otherwise, they might think it's ok to call you at midnight! Other than that, I think it sounds/looks awesome - very professional!
momma2girls 05:36 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I think you need to word it so you get MORE than one day's notice. That is not much notice in my opinion. I'd say 3 business days if it were me. I also agree with everyone else, $1 per every 15 min is very low, especailly if we are talking about unscheduled overtime. I'd make it at least $5 per every 15 min.
I even placed in my contract, $10.00 per 15 min. because I had one family always be late without informing me, and they would pay the $5.00 all the time. So then I changed it the next yr. to $10.00 per 15 min. it rarely happens at all now!!! I am actually on time for things, can find seats, etc....
GretasLittleFriends 07:59 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I will be changing the first bullet point to say the written schedule must be set a week in advance.

I'm ok with notification of a change the night before. About half of my parents don't have a regular schedule (same time same days each week). A couple of their employers do change their schedules frequently and they themselves are not given 3 days notice. The biggest issue I'm having is NOT getting notification of changes at all. It's truly only with one family.

The $1 per 15min is on top of the hourly fee I already charge. The one family isn't very well off, but are not on assistance. So for them the $1 would actually be enough to make a difference. It'd be $1 per 15 per child. I should clarify per child.
GretasLittleFriends 08:01 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
For closing you could just state. Should you have any questions regarding the new policies please don't hesitate to clarify. Thank you in advance for your coorperation.
Thanks! You think that's simple enough? I'm trying not to sound too harsh. The original rough draft of this doc was written in the midst of frustration. This is of course the toned down version.
misol 11:05 AM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I will be changing the first bullet point to say the written schedule must be set a week in advance.

I'm ok with notification of a change the night before. About half of my parents don't have a regular schedule (same time same days each week). A couple of their employers do change their schedules frequently and they themselves are not given 3 days notice. The biggest issue I'm having is NOT getting notification of changes at all. It's truly only with one family.

The $1 per 15min is on top of the hourly fee I already charge. The one family isn't very well off, but are not on assistance. So for them the $1 would actually be enough to make a difference. It'd be $1 per 15 per child. I should clarify per child.
I still think that's too low - not really an incentive to be on time. I know it may make a financial difference to the one family that you are having trouble with now but consider that in the future you might have another family that doesn't mind showing up an hour late, handing you a 5 dollar bill and then asking for their change! Since you are reiterating your policies anyway, you could just increase your late pickup fee just so it's in writing in case you ever need it later. Then you can still use your own discretion as to when you want to enforce it.
grandmom 01:07 PM 04-05-2010
Personally,

I would suggest you delete the beginning about having issues. For the parent who you don't have issues, it informs them there is trouble. This breeds that thought in their mind, maybe looking for what the problem is. For the parent who the issue is with, they could maybe say (to themselves) why didn't you just talk to me, instead of sending out a blanket policy change....

Just say, in reviewing my policies, I'm finding some changes I need to make. From now on.....

As for the changes themselves, customers will take advantage of any policy you have whenever it meets their needs. So write it to suit your needs, and in a way that you would feel comfortable enforcing. The more "options" you offer, the more changes they try to make.

Good luck
Chickenhauler 01:15 PM 04-05-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I still think that's too low - not really an incentive to be on time. I know it may make a financial difference to the one family that you are having trouble with now but consider that in the future you might have another family that doesn't mind showing up an hour late, handing you a 5 dollar bill and then asking for their change! Since you are reiterating your policies anyway, you could just increase your late pickup fee just so it's in writing in case you ever need it later. Then you can still use your own discretion as to when you want to enforce it.
Economies of Scale.

In our area, an additional $4 per hour is a financial difference to most folks. Average hourly wages are in the 8-10 range, if you're making in the teens, you're the lead person.

Paying $6.50 per hour after your scheduled time for a toddler (standard rate + $1 per 15 mins) tends to hit people where they feel it when they only make $8 before Uncle Sam takes his slice.

But, you can still buy a nice, comfortable, 3BR 2BA home for $60k any day of the week.
Former Teacher 03:17 PM 04-05-2010
Sorry Greta but I agree with the others about your low OT pay

You say that the $1.00 is on top of your hourly pay anyway. The way I see it then, if a parent is an hour late it's only an extra 4 dollars for you.

My former center's late fee was 5.00 dollars for the first 5 mins and then 5.00 for each additional min, per child. No grace period. However as firm as I was to the parents I really couldn't say..um gee you are a min. late..it's 5 bucks lol...so I would start charging at 3 mins. after.

I also agree that they higher late fee will be an incentive of not wanting to be late. As for the parents that aren't well off..well in this economy there are many who aren't. I understand that. I also understand that parents should live up to their responsibilities and pick up their children on time. Its pretty sad when children are in care more than they are with their parents.

Besides, I know how I feel when I want to leave work for the day. I can only imagne how it is for a child
Tags:communication, policies
Reply Up