Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claim Your Own Children?
Unregistered 10:51 AM 02-01-2011
I'm curious. When I'm calculating my meal expenses for my in home child care...can I claim the meals and snacks that I feed my own children? I was a single family, plus my own children. Thanks!
kendallina 11:05 AM 02-01-2011
Nope...only for daycare kiddos.
rysakaem1 11:15 AM 02-01-2011
You should check with your food program. In Fl, I can claim my children under age 13 if there is atleast 1 daycare child present for the meal or snack.
kendallina 11:25 AM 02-01-2011
Oh yeh, if you're talking about for the food program, you'd have to check with your food program.

But, for taxes you can't.
TomCopeland 10:28 PM 02-01-2011
You can never deduct the cost of food served to your own children as a business expenses, even if you are receiving reimbursements for your own children from the Food Program.
Unregistered 06:21 PM 02-18-2011
ok...different answers here...tom. you say no. so i'm going to assume that that's the correct answer
even if the other children are here and being served, i can not claim my own....thanks guys!
TomCopeland 08:37 PM 02-18-2011
I think the difference here is about two different things. Providers may get reimbursements from the Food Program for their own children if their family is low income. However, no provider can deduct the cost of the food served to their own children. IRS Publication 587 Business Use of Your Home states this clearly.
Tags:deductions, reimbursement
Reply Up