Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Buttons Down the Back!?!?! HELLO???Vent...
originalkat 06:06 AM 06-03-2010
So one of my moms drops off her 3 year old daughter this morning and says... "She hasn't gone potty this morning, but she will need some help because this outfit only has buttons in the back." She is just so casual about it like I have nothing better to do than to unbutton 5 TINY buttons everytime her kid needs to go to the bathroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?? THAT IS NOT HAPPENING! I looked at her and said "______, that isnt very practical for daycare." in a very politely irritated voice

I then went directly to her cubby to put her extra clothes on when I saw she didnt have any in there! So, I used an old pair of my daughters clothes.

What a pain! Did that mom wake up without a brain this morning?? Her daughter has been coming here for 2 years and she knows the rules about clothing.

Thanks for letting me vent
grandmom 07:21 AM 06-03-2010
Pretty inconsiderate.

Isn't this like wearing shoes that don't fit just because they match our outfit. Mom's probably thinking it's such a cute outfit, a few buttons is worth it.

Good choice to find a new outfit.
Unregistered 07:29 AM 06-03-2010
I feel for you as I am dealing with the same type of thing! I have a little boy that is potty training, he is 3 and can't pull up or pull down his elastic waisted pants! Real pain in the BUTT!! Parents and sister obviously do EVERYTHING for him and he has no clue!! Pretty sure my kids started dressing themselves or at least assisting in dressing at like 9 months!! Grrrrr Anyway, what does she bring him in OVERALLS!! That is just great - I just wish for once a parent would realize that THEIR CHILD IS NOT THE ONLY CHILD WE CARE FOR ALL DAY LONG!!!! I changed his clothes as well, however I only had pants for him and it was like 80 outside, so I just put his shorts overalls back on when we went outside - pain in the BUTT!! Grrrrrr
MarinaVanessa 07:31 AM 06-03-2010
Ugh I hate that! Why is it that parent's make it painfully hard for us sometimes so that their kids look cute? I just tell all families not to bother bringing their children in nice clothing since we work with mud, clay, paint, markers etc and more than likely they're going to get dirty, wet and messy. Buttons and belts are the worst when you're potty training in daycare. This is daycare ... not a pageant. I'm sure none of the kids are in the corner now admiring her awsome outfit and how well if fits the season .
mamajennleigh 07:42 AM 06-03-2010
I have this issue over and over and over again with one of my moms. Her daughter is tiny for her age, and regardless of the fact that the outfit clearly does not fit properly, she brings her in it anyway. She will have a little sundress with matching "bloomers" underneath and every time the little girl takes a step, her bloomers start to fall down. I get so aggravated. I told her dad at pickup (for the umpteenth time) just yesterday that mom needs to bring her in clothes that fit properly, and no safety pins allowed ugh!
momma2girls 07:55 AM 06-03-2010
Many parents just don't think or don't care???!!!!!
Greenshadow 08:26 AM 06-03-2010
I have similar problems with my parents too. One mom keeps bringing her son in shoes that dont fit. She brings him inside with them on and then takes them off and puts them in his cubby because she knows they dont fit. I guess she doesnt care what happens while he is in my care and has to go outside to play. Out of sight, out of mind! So I put him in an old pair of my sons and even though they are a size bigger, its better than a size smaller! She just doesnt take the time to go buy him a bigger pair. They have the money for it so thats not it. I have another parent that keeps bringing her child in shirts and skirts with attached bloomers that are too small. The skirt keeps sliding off or when she bends over or sits down, I have to look at her butt. Its frustrating for the kids and for me having to constantly pull them up and find a way to cinch them on. Some parents just cant be bothered. I even had one mom complain on Facebook about how I got jello on her son's shirt and she had to search far and wide to remove the stain. Ive told them time and time again not to bring them in their good clothes. Its daycare people!!!
MarinaVanessa 08:33 AM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by mamajennleigh:
She will have a little sundress with matching "bloomers" underneath and every time the little girl takes a step, her bloomers start to fall down.
(Assuming that the child is still in diapers, pull-ups or at least wears undies under her bloomers)

For kicks when she walked in the door at drop-off with mommy and if she was wearing a dress I'd walk right over immediately, lift the dress up high and make an obviouse assessment of whether or not she is wearing these big bloomers. If she was, I'd immediately take them off and hand them to mom all the while talking to the little girl and smiling "Ooops. (pull them off) We won't need these today will we? They end up falling off and tripping on them anyway don't we? Yup!"

If you're not so forward you can just pull them off after mom leaves and stick them in her cubby if you have them then remind mom to check the cubby at pick-up so she can find her bloomers. If she asks, just explain to her again that you'll just continue to take them off unless they fit well so she might as well not dress her in them. lol.
momofboys 10:26 AM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I have similar problems with my parents too. One mom keeps bringing her son in shoes that dont fit. She brings him inside with them on and then takes them off and puts them in his cubby because she knows they dont fit. I guess she doesnt care what happens while he is in my care and has to go outside to play. Out of sight, out of mind! So I put him in an old pair of my sons and even though they are a size bigger, its better than a size smaller! She just doesnt take the time to go buy him a bigger pair. They have the money for it so thats not it. I have another parent that keeps bringing her child in shirts and skirts with attached bloomers that are too small. The skirt keeps sliding off or when she bends over or sits down, I have to look at her butt. Its frustrating for the kids and for me having to constantly pull them up and find a way to cinch them on. Some parents just cant be bothered. I even had one mom complain on Facebook about how I got jello on her son's shirt and she had to search far and wide to remove the stain. Ive told them time and time again not to bring them in their good clothes. Its daycare people!!!
that would tick me off about the comment on FB!!! Did she think you would not see it?!?! Hello, who cares about a jello stain?!?! You have more things to worry about than stains on clothes.
professionalmom 12:31 PM 06-03-2010
UGH! Parents and their children's attire! I had one DCB whose mom was one of those "young single moms, on state assistance, but has to have the most expensive name brand stuff". She would bring her DS in name brand clothing, cute, but not daycare ready. Then towards the end (before I booted her), DCB was coming in jeans so big, I had to roll up the legs at least 3 inches and roll down the waist at least 2 inches, just to make those parts fit! Then he was walking around (only 18-20 mths old) holding onto the pants because if he didn't they would fall down. He was tripping on them! Another DCM even made a comment about how ridiculous his pants were. It was so bad, it was actually DANGEROUS and I feared he would get injured. So, at pick-up, I told his mom, "I think (DCB)'s new pants are just adorable! However, they seem a little too big for him right now. He's been tripping on them and they have been falling down unless he holds them up. Maybe we should give him another month or 2 before he wears these to daycare again. By then, I'm sure they will fit perfectly." She grunts and replies (in a shotty tone), "I've never had a problem with those pants. Just roll them down and it's fine."

After she left, my wonderful husband rolled his eyes and just said, "IDIOT!" (meaning her, not me)
Janet 12:42 PM 06-03-2010
makes me insane sometimes! There are certain articles of clothing that I hate more than anything and if a kid comes in it, I will immmediately change their clothes.

Overalls without snaps
Overalls on potty training kids
Overalls on kids who are over 3 years old
Onesies on kids that are not babies. Toddler do not need onesies!!!
Long dresses (they can end up in the toilet)
Tights on little girls who are potty training
Too tight jeans
Too long pants
Clothes that have buttons or snaps that are complicated
Shoes that kids can't run in

I could go on, but the list would be too long. Here is my ideal kid wardrobe:

Jane Fonda pants (stretchy kind)
T-shirts or long sleeved T-Shirts
Hoodies just in case it's a little chilly
Shoes that kids can run in and put on by themselves
Stretchy shorts for summer time
Appropriate outdoor winter apparel

They don't need to look fancy here. I certainly don't dress to impress, so why should the kids be dressed nicely?
Daycare Mommy 01:02 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
After she left, my wonderful husband rolled his eyes and just said, "IDIOT!" (meaning her, not me)
Made me think of Napoleon Dynamite. "IDIOT!"
originalkat 04:34 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
makes me insane sometimes! There are certain articles of clothing that I hate more than anything and if a kid comes in it, I will immmediately change their clothes.

Overalls without snaps
Overalls on potty training kids
Overalls on kids who are over 3 years old
Onesies on kids that are not babies. Toddler do not need onesies!!!
Long dresses (they can end up in the toilet)
Tights on little girls who are potty training
Too tight jeans
Too long pants
Clothes that have buttons or snaps that are complicated
Shoes that kids can't run in

I could go on, but the list would be too long. Here is my ideal kid wardrobe:

Jane Fonda pants (stretchy kind)
T-shirts or long sleeved T-Shirts
Hoodies just in case it's a little chilly
Shoes that kids can run in and put on by themselves
Stretchy shorts for summer time
Appropriate outdoor winter apparel

They don't need to look fancy here. I certainly don't dress to impress, so why should the kids be dressed nicely?
Exactly.
I understand parents want to get clothes that their child can wear for awhile BUT they still have to fit. If they need a belt when they are 3 to keep their pants up THEN THE PANTS ARE TOO BIG.
missnikki 07:02 AM 06-04-2010
Haha, Jane Fonda pants...

I agree. I had a 'playclothes uniform' policy when I worked with the little guys. It was almost the same as your list, Janet! It works best when you can assess the outfit in the morning at drop off, and make your suggestions then. That way if it is a danger issue, you have addressed it already. Any parent that brushed me off like that 'idiot' would be greeted by her child wearing the famous loaner pants (the word 'LOANER' written across the butt in big letters) and asked to return with the loaners, and an extra set of clothes for the cubby.
My Daycare 07:23 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
Haha, Jane Fonda pants...

I agree. I had a 'playclothes uniform' policy when I worked with the little guys. It was almost the same as your list, Janet! It works best when you can assess the outfit in the morning at drop off, and make your suggestions then. That way if it is a danger issue, you have addressed it already. Any parent that brushed me off like that 'idiot' would be greeted by her child wearing the famous loaner pants (the word 'LOANER' written across the butt in big letters) and asked to return with the loaners, and an extra set of clothes for the cubby.
That's Perfect!!!
MARSTELAC 05:27 AM 01-07-2011
Love your ideal wardrobe! I might steal that and put it in my contract for next year..just as a suggestion of course! I have a few kids from same family who are fully potty trained and 4.5 years old. They come out of the bathroom and pants not buttoned...I tell them to button up. All I hear is "I can't"....they won't even try! So, they walk around all day with pants unbuttoned. Parents pick up and kids whine that I won't help them but I explain that they won't try and can only say "I can't". Am I too mean? I would help if they would try to help themselves but parents have spoiled them and do EVERYTHING for them! It takes forever to go outside each day in colder weather because of the "I can't" kids :-( Really glad today is Friday!
Lianne 05:40 AM 01-07-2011
As the kids outgrow their extra clothing that's kept here, most parents will allow me to keep it in my bin of 'spares'. Then, when a child needs something for any reason (inappropriate clothing, soiled, etc) I just pull something out of my bin. I don't have to stress out, the child is properly dressed and life goes on.
daysofelijah 06:36 AM 01-07-2011
I have a parent that keeps stuffing her almost 2 year old into 12 month clothes. They are getting wayyy too small. I don't understand it. I even gave her a bag of my dd's 18m-2T clothes that she had outgrown thinking maybe they couldn't afford new clothes, but she keeps sending her in the 12 months! I just don't get it at all.
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 01-07-2011
Baby Gap makes a sweater type one piece outfit that has really teeny-tiny little buttons (18 to be exact) on the crotch area....but NOT the ankles and two little buttons on the neck. The ONLY way to take it off or put it on is to unbutton the whole thing in the crotch area. It comes in a size 2T. I know this because my 3 yr old daycare girl came dressed in it yesterday!!!!
(She is a tiny little gal....hasn't hit 25 lbs yet) Yes, she is completely toilet trained too. Some parents!!!
SilverSabre25 07:32 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Baby Gap makes a sweater type one piece outfit that has really teeny-tiny little buttons (18 to be exact) on the crotch area....but NOT the ankles and two little buttons on the neck. The ONLY way to take it off or put it on is to unbutton the whole thing in the crotch area. It comes in a size 2T. I know this because my 3 yr old daycare girl came dressed in it yesterday!!!!
(She is a tiny little gal....hasn't hit 25 lbs yet) Yes, she is completely toilet trained too. Some parents!!!
That is the STUPIDEST sounding piece of clothing that I have EVER heard of!

Of course so is the buttons down the back for a 3 yr old, onesies on a potty trainer, etc.
mickey2 10:00 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I have a parent that keeps stuffing her almost 2 year old into 12 month clothes. They are getting wayyy too small. I don't understand it. I even gave her a bag of my dd's 18m-2T clothes that she had outgrown thinking maybe they couldn't afford new clothes, but she keeps sending her in the 12 months! I just don't get it at all.
I have exactly the same problem with one of my moms who has a little 2 year old boy and a 6 year old boy and I have done exactly the same thing! They come ALL the time in clothes that are way too small. I gave the mother LOTS of BEAUTIFUL clothes that my son had outgrown. Pants, jeans, shirts, jackets, snowsuits........Mom still brings kids in clothes that don't fit! One day the 2 year old did come in clothes that I had given to her but now these were too small. What does she do, save them till they don't fit? I don't get it???
mickey2 10:00 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
I have exactly the same problem with one of my moms who has a little 2 year old boy and a 6 year old boy and I have done exactly the same thing! They come ALL the time in clothes that are way too small. I gave the mother LOTS of BEAUTIFUL clothes that my son had outgrown. Pants, jeans, shirts, jackets, snowsuits........Mom still brings kids in clothes that don't fit! One day the 2 year old did come in clothes that I had given to her but now these were too small. What does she do, save them till they don't fit? I don't get it???
E Daycare 10:03 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Did that mom wake up without a brain this morning??
I ask this same question every day it seems.

My favorite is when a kid would come in with a nice complicated belt too. "Hey not only are you wearing these awesome jeans with 3 buttons but heres a sweet bob the builder belt for you to fiddle with too! Have fun wetting yourself in the process of trying to figure out how to manipulate your tiny fingers into taking off the belt first!"

Im hoping that with dealing with all this stuff Im also learning how NOT to raise/deal with/dress my 18mo old.
Tags:3 year old, potty
Reply Up