Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Putting Baby To Sleep
Unregistered 09:54 AM 04-18-2011
I'm searching for a daycare for my 5 month old... And I have only one main concern.. With all the kids and babies that u guys take care of, how do u help the little ones go to sleep when they cant fully self sooth themselves? For instance my little boy can be put in his crib to sleep but needs a little love before he drifts off. And he'll constantly spit his paci out and then cry for it. My question is... How do u ladies help these kinda babies when u have sooo many more that also need ur constant attention. Sorry if its a silly question but im a first tume mamma so I've never dealt with the daycare scene and how u guys operate... Plus I'm a little nervous about leaving my baby
Thank u ladies in advance!
Ps... I love this board cuz it gives such insight to how much u guys truly care for the little ones you care for !
JenNJ 11:00 AM 04-18-2011
For a 5 month old baby, I would put him into the crib drowsy, but awake with the paci. If he spits it out once or twice I will help by putting it back in, but if it is a constant thing, I would work on getting rid of the paci all together. They are supposed to soothe, if all it does is frustrate him it is not conducive to sleep and relaxation

I only accept two children under 1 year of age at any given time so it is not hard to balance two babies at once. All my 12+ month kids know the naptime drill and go to sleep without issues.

Generally it only takes about one week to get any child used to the naptime routine here. Even bitty babies as young as yours are bright enough to learn what is coming next when a constant routine is followed everyday.
ammama 11:31 AM 04-18-2011
I think this is a pretty individual thing. I know many providers who do what pp said - put them in their bed and let them fall asleep on their own. For a baby that young, I would usually follow the parents routine - if the baby is used to being put in his crib to fall asleep on his own, then I would do it. If the baby was used to being rocked to sleep and I didn't have time to sit with them and rock (I keep a rocking chair in my playroom for just that purpose), I would put them in a sling or other type of carrier, and just let them fall asleep and nap on me.

You need to find a care provider who you are comfortable with. If you don't want your son learning to self soothe, then ask questions about it, and keep looking until you find someone. You can't expect a care provider to change their whole routine just for your son, so make sure that you find someone who shares the same belief system as you.
Cat Herder 11:31 AM 04-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm searching for a daycare for my 5 month old... And I have only one main concern.. With all the kids and babies that u guys take care of, how do u help the little ones go to sleep when they cant fully self sooth themselves? For instance my little boy can be put in his crib to sleep but needs a little love before he drifts off. And he'll constantly spit his paci out and then cry for it. My question is... How do u ladies help these kinda babies when u have sooo many more that also need ur constant attention. Sorry if its a silly question but I'm a first time mamma so I've never dealt with the daycare scene and how u guys operate... Plus I'm a little nervous about leaving my baby
Thank u ladies in advance!
Ps... I love this board cuz it gives such insight to how much u guys truly care for the little ones you care for !
I only enroll newborns, my families typically interview during 2nd tri-mester. I only have 3 under 12 months at any time. After 17+ years of this (plus many years in the emergency medical field prior) I feel comfortable with that many. When I first started, I limited myself to one at a time so please know each provider has their own limit.

I first want to tell you that how your LO acts at home will be completely different at daycare. I also have never met a daycare provider who does not LOVE to snuggle with a baby. Many rub backs and some (like me) sing/read them all to sleep while they clean toys. I also use a ocean sounds CD and box fan for white noise for the duration of naptime. Consistent routine makes it go really easily for most.

If you have already limited his time in a swing/bouncy/boppy/ or being held, etc. to no more than 20 minutes at any given time, do not co-sleep, give him plenty of belly/floor time and have begun to wean him from the pacifier, you and LO should have a pretty smooth transition, IMHO. (I do not know of a daycare in my area who allows pacifiers past 12 weeks)

I wanted to mention that until your LO turns 1 year of age; no blankets, toys, or bumpers pads of any kind may be used. It will be a plain flat sheet, tight fitting and your LO will be placed on his back to sleep. Blanket sleepers are GREAT for naptime chill. I love them!!

In many States if he does not fall asleep within 20 minutes, he will be placed back on his play gym/mat until he shows signs of being sleepy. It is the law to attempt to prevent SIDS deaths. He will be well on schedule with the rest of the group by 12 months, no worries, I just want you to be aware.

I know a lot of first time Mom's have a hard time with such a sterile looking sleep space (I miss the fun of decorating, myself) and think we are being uninterested/cheap/lazy, but we have no choice.

I often have Mom's try to bring cute bedding sets/comforters/mattress pads, etc. I have to explain it all again each time. It is not that we want to institutionalize infant care...we are trying to save lives.
youretooloud 01:42 PM 04-18-2011
That's a good question!

I get some that love to go to bed.. you just put em in bed and they get all happy and snuggle in to go to sleep.

But, others need to be rocked or carried to sleep.

I get parents who will say "oh she needs to be rocked to sleep" but, I find the opposite is true, they won't fall asleep unless I put them in bed. Then others will say "oh, just plop her in there, and she goes to sleep". Those are the ones I end up rocking to sleep. LOL I have no idea why they want mommy to do it one way, and me to do it another way. But, babies like what they like.

it's no trouble for me to rock a baby to sleep.
MsMe 07:31 PM 04-18-2011
it is no trouble to spend a little extra time putting a baby sleep, but to be completly honest I havent had a baby in years (I always have two under 12 mo. ) that needed anything but to be put in bed at the *right* time to fall right sleep on their own. You can help alot by not putting any extrra effort into bed time wiht him at home. I completly understand why you would want to snuggle with a beautiful sleepign baby (nothign better) but it is REALLY counterproductive and will only make your (and his) life harder in the end.

p.s. I don't mean you should never cuddle your baby...just dont spend 30 mins rockign hom everytime he sleep even after he as drifed off.
Live and Learn 07:39 PM 04-18-2011
Originally Posted by MsMe:
it is no trouble to spend a little extra time putting a baby sleep, but to be completly honest I havent had a baby in years (I always have two under 12 mo. ) that needed anything but to be put in bed at the *right* time to fall right sleep on their own. You can help alot by not putting any extrra effort into bed time wiht him at home. I completly understand why you would want to snuggle with a beautiful sleepign baby (nothign better) but it is REALLY counterproductive and will only make your (and his) life harder in the end.

p.s. I don't mean you should never cuddle your baby...just dont spend 30 mins rockign hom everytime he sleep even after he as drifed off.
This!

Putting your little one on a schedule NOW similar to the schedule your dc uses will be the biggest gift to your baby.

My schedule for 6 months and older is nap 9am-11...1pm-3pm
At age 2 we switch to just one afternoon nap. 12:30-3:00
cheerfuldom 07:22 AM 04-19-2011
The best thing you can do to be a team with your childcare provider is to work on a routine for your child together. Some may just put them on a routine, others may work a little more individually. Kids do SOOOOO much better when there is consistency in their days and that makes everything, including naps, easier. You are not going to find the same exact thing done at every daycare but in general, you have to remember that your child is part of a group. Your provider can only provide reasonable things. Prolonged crying, rocking, constantly checking and offering paci, up and down all day are going to wear out any provider.
Kelly Watson 02:01 PM 05-22-2011
Getting a baby to sleep often presents a most parenting concern. Babies don't naturally take to sleeping through the night. My husband and I have to work at teaching our 5 month old baby to sleep by setting up a sleep schedule for him. My cousin suggested me a good article a simple ways to help your baby sleep through the night in. I've learned and I got more idea how to put my baby to sleep while giving me a time to rest.
Unregistered 11:06 AM 11-09-2011
Often times, their uncomfortable. whether that means he's gassy, or too warm, or whatever, their mostly just uncomfortable, and miss momma. To get her to sleep without you being there all night, sometimes means you need to make a change. I've found, changing her mattress really helps. I got the generic crib mattress for mine, and it was fine. But he always looked uncomfortable. I found out that mattress' make a difference. I searched, and found that the gel mattress is the best, safest, and most comfortable for them. It doesnt have toxins like the many other baby mattress' do. It's made a difference for me..

Good luck!
Cat Herder 12:25 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Often times, their uncomfortable. whether that means he's gassy, or too warm, or whatever, their mostly just uncomfortable, and miss momma. To get her to sleep without you being there all night, sometimes means you need to make a change. I've found, changing her mattress really helps. I got the generic crib mattress for mine, and it was fine. But he always looked uncomfortable. I found out that mattress' make a difference. I searched, and found that the gel mattress is the best, safest, and most comfortable for them. It doesnt have toxins like the many other baby mattress' do. It's made a difference for me..
Good luck!
Awesome advertisement, but it would never pass State inspection for childcare use here.
nannyde 05:52 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Awesome advertisement, but it would never pass State inspection for childcare use here.
Here either.

I deleted the link
renodeb 11:03 AM 11-10-2011
Good question. When I first get a baby (esp a real young one) I spend a lot of time rocking or putting the paci in or rubbing there backs, tummies, stroking there heads. Whatever there used to at home. After the child is a little more used to me I slowly start weaning the baby off and having it start soothing its self to sleep. It does not happen over night but with time they will eventually nod off on there own. With me Im only allowed 2 under 1 the rest have to be over 2 or older and by the time they areon mats they know the routine. Its a bit crazy at times but it all seems to fall into place. Good question to ask at interview.
Debbie
Breezy 01:34 PM 11-10-2011
I do whatever baby needs! I love snuggling the little babies to sleep!! Never gets old. I make sure I have time set aside to be able to do it with super low ratios.
Tags:2011, april, constant attention, sleep problems, sleeping infants
Reply Up