Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Held a Spot For 7 Months
littlemommy 06:03 PM 05-26-2011
and was supposed to start watching a newborn in a few weeks. The girl sent me a message over facebook (how classy) and told me she does not need me to watch her baby because she is not going back to work.

I've known this girl for years and did not have the contract signed yet. We were going to do that right before she started.

I'm not sure how to reply to the message. I'm pretty upset since I've turned away over 9 people, knowing I would be starting a newborn. Lesson learned, I guess.
WDW 06:40 PM 05-26-2011
I am so sorry. I don't know what to say, but I'm so sorry. That is really crappy. Esp. via facebook. What a chicken.

I hope you are able to fill the spot soon. You are probably going to be told on here "that's why I don't hold spots" etc... but I have done that too. It's always the nice ones who get burned.
nannyde 06:50 PM 05-26-2011
Every provider has to go through this to learn that holding spots based on words will loose you money. It's always in the parents best interest to wait till the very last moment to tell you so that they have your option available until the day they are have to put money on it. It's free until that day. As soon as free runs out then they tell you no money.

Next time don't turn anyone away because of the potential of money in the future. Take the money you can make today. It's always way more money that the money that comes from words.
wdmmom 07:13 PM 05-26-2011
I'm guessing that you never got any type of security deposit?

My policy is this: Don't contact me until you are in your 3rd trimester. I only hold spots for less than 3 months so if your start date is farther away than that, there is a $50 a week holding fee in addition to the security deposit...all of which is non refundable.

The money you make today is all that's important. I would never hold a spot for that long. If you have an opening now, you fill it now and look to meeting the needs of potential clients at that time.
countrymom 07:38 PM 05-26-2011
I learned the same way you did. I held the spot for months and then they decided to go elsewhere, now i just don't hold spots.
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:22 PM 05-26-2011
I just went through the same thing 2 days ago. dcg was supposed to start june 1. held her spot since april, no money down and she cancelled and I too, turned away 7 kids. lesson learned aswell. I hope we both can fill that space soon!
meganlavonnesmommy 03:46 AM 05-27-2011
Unfortunately, lesson learned. I will hold a spot, but not for more than a month. If they interview now, and need to start say in two-four weeks, I will hold it. But I require them to pay a full two weeks up front to hold the spot. I allow them to use that payment to pay for their first two weeks fees, but it is non-refundable if they decide not to come.

Sorry she dumped you, that was really inconsiderate on her part.
Kaddidle Care 04:15 AM 05-27-2011
A friend doesn't do that to another. Sorry this happened. I wouldn't hold a spot without a non-refundable deposit.
Cat Herder 05:29 AM 05-27-2011
BTDT...Sorry hun.

Now you know why I don't hold slots, keep friends kids or make price exceptions. The only person who loses is the provider.

It sucks, but that is how it is.
wdmmom 05:47 AM 05-27-2011
If you collect a deposit, I would collect a minimum of 2 weeks (depending on how long before they start) and apply it to their LAST 2 weeks! That way you are ensured the money. Make it non refundable. That way when they start they need to pay up front for care. Otherwise you could be left in a situation where they paid for 2 weeks up front, come, use all 2 weeks and don't come back. No Way, Jose!
littlemommy 05:52 AM 05-27-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
If you collect a deposit, I would collect a minimum of 2 weeks (depending on how long before they start) and apply it to their LAST 2 weeks! That way you are ensured the money. Make it non refundable. That way when they start they need to pay up front for care. Otherwise you could be left in a situation where they paid for 2 weeks up front, come, use all 2 weeks and don't come back. No Way, Jose!
I thought about that. My mom suggested instead of putting the deposit towards the first two weeks, to spread it out over the first couple weeks. So..if the deposit would be 200 dollars, to maybe put 50 dollars towards the first 4 weeks' pay. That way they can't use just the first two weeks and leave.

I think I'm going to respond, and tell her exactly how I feel.
littlemommy 05:53 AM 05-27-2011
Oh-I'm also going to charge a certain amount for every month I hold a spot, if I ever do it again.

I got a call yesterday and it looks promising. This kid will be here for more hours than that newborn would have anyway!
DBug 08:57 AM 05-27-2011
Been there ... not doing it again. I held a spot for about 6 months at half-rate. DCM just told me she wouldn't be needing it after all. In the meantime, I have turned down TONS of people who could have been using that spot. AND, I've been giving up half of what the spot is worth for those 6 months (which means I'm out hundreds of dollars -- I'm too chicken to actually do the math and figure out the actual amount).

I've decided I'm no longer reserving spots for people, paid or not. It's just not worth it financially .
kimmi 10:15 AM 05-28-2011
If a parent wants me to "hold" a spot, they will have to pay a holding fee of $50 per week nonrefundable regardless if they back out or stay. That is my min. fee I charge per kid per week regardless is they are gone for the whole week or are there one day, except when I go on vacation. I dont charge anything then, because I know parents have to pay someone else for that week. I try to be fair. =)
momma2girls 06:36 PM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Oh-I'm also going to charge a certain amount for every month I hold a spot, if I ever do it again.

I got a call yesterday and it looks promising. This kid will be here for more hours than that newborn would have anyway!
I used to hold a spot no matter for how long, for only 2 weeks!! This was a HUGE mistake. Now what I charge is one week per month, nonrefundable-
Tags:holding spot, holding spot - how long
Reply Up