Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed or Unlicensed???
L<3VE Kids :) 05:04 PM 02-18-2012
I would like to start my own home daycare in Vermont so I can provide for my children as well as give other children in my community a great opportunity to learn. I am really debating whether or not to get a license for my home. I do not believe in cleaning with bleach, but more ORGANIC substances. I would like to have more than 6 children to care for in my daycare, but if I have staff, would this mean I can operate without a license even if I keep up with the regulations for my state? I do not think I could afford to keep food on the table and a roof over my head if I had to pay for fire and safety inspections as well as inspections from the state. I also am not sure if I want to have all of these regulations for my daycare that is my house.... I also know that I cannot afford to keep my house and a separate center along with paying the employees' wages and benefits. I have heard of people operating unlicensed, but how do they keep out of the way of the government if they go over the maximum of children? Plus, I am not aware of how to take income tax from my money I make from my daycare, and I also am not sure how to give the parents their tax information. Please help!!
snbauser 06:09 PM 02-18-2012
Keep in mind that there is a difference between unlicensed and illegal. Depending on the regulations, in some states you can be unlicensed but still operate legally. Find out what your state requires. Some states don't require licenses for a certain number of children while other states require a license no matter how many children you have. Here in NC we can only keep 2 children full time that are unrelated to you. Otherwise you have to be licensed.
Blackcat31 07:20 PM 02-18-2012
Here is some info on Vermont rules and regulations to help you get started;
https://www.daycare.com/vermont/
Unregistered 06:34 PM 02-19-2012
I am from Vermont. If you choose to be unliscensed in VT you are not allowed to care for more than two families. The minute you take a child from a third family you will become an illegal daycare unless you become registered by the state.
You do not pay for the state inspections, they will come on their own. You can call the Family center and they will come and look at your home before you become registered and let you know what you will need to do to be up to par for the state inspection.
I know that 6 kids does not sound like a lot, but when you are alone it really is, and if you take more than six it is so hard to give each child the love and attention they deserve and need. Also, just to clarify you can have six children up age 5(including your own children) of which 2 of those children can be under the age of two. In addition you may care for up to 4 other children so long as they are in Kindergarten or above.
You do not need an assistant for the school-agers during the school year, but you are required to have an assistant for more than six children during the summer (regardless of their age). As far as taxes, I have an accountant handle them for me, but I do know that you should claim every penny you spend on daycare related items, including: food, toys, furniture, cleaning and household supplies, crafts, curriculum, etc (keep your receipts). This saves me from having to pay money into the state and I was actually suprised my first year in daycare when I realized I could still get money back!
Good Luck getting set up and welcome to the world of daycare!
L<3VE Kids :) 08:17 AM 02-21-2012
Thank you all so much for the encouragement, but I still have a few more questions, how much does it usually cost to keep a license for my home?? Am I required to clean with bleach?? Or can I clean with organic substances? Is it dificult to keep up with the licensing requirements and costs? Also, if I employ someone as my assistant, do I have to offer them benefits such as insurance or health care? I really want to do this, but I want to be sure that I am going for the right thing and that I do not get in any trouble. I want to keep my business in the right place. Thanks again.
L<3VE Kids :) 05:09 PM 02-21-2012
A few other questions I have:
1. How much do sanitation, fire, and facility inspections cost?
2. How do sanitation, fire, and facility inspections work?
3. How long does a daycare license last in SC or VT?
4. What happens if you violate a regulation?
5. Do you have to offer benefits to employees?
6. Does the government provide the food I serve to the kids, or do they give me the money to purchase the food?
7. Do you have to have a business license if you have a daycare license?
8. Must I go through an inspection every month?
9. How do you handle taxes for licensed daycares?
Sorry about all of these questions, I just really want to make sure that I am making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks again.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 02-22-2012
Originally Posted by L<3VE Kids :):
A few other questions I have:
1. How much do sanitation, fire, and facility inspections cost?
2. How do sanitation, fire, and facility inspections work?
3. How long does a daycare license last in SC or VT?
4. What happens if you violate a regulation?
5. Do you have to offer benefits to employees?
6. Does the government provide the food I serve to the kids, or do they give me the money to purchase the food?
7. Do you have to have a business license if you have a daycare license?
8. Must I go through an inspection every month?
9. How do you handle taxes for licensed daycares?
Sorry about all of these questions, I just really want to make sure that I am making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks again.
It always pays to be informed so don't apologize for asking questions!

However, the ones you are asking though would need to be answered by someone who knows something about the rules and regulations of your state.

Every state is different in how they do things. Some states charge for licensing and inspections and others do not.

I would suggest you call your local licensor and ask her the questions you posted. That would be your BEST resource for sure. You might also be able to find a web-site that could be beneficially in answering your questions as well. You could also try your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency.

Good luck and good job for wanting to be informed as best and as much as you can!
Tags:licensed vs unlicensed, vermont
Reply Up