Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wow
littlemisssunshine 01:35 PM 03-19-2012
I have a new kid starting tomorrow and a dc parent just asked me if i could " handle" all these kids.. last time i checked i had a daycare i thought daycare meant lots of kids runnin' around! jeesh people
cheerfuldom 07:34 PM 03-19-2012
I wouldnt worry about the comment. some parents are very overwhelmed with their own child and worry that another person would never be able to handle that child plus however many more. or maybe they just dont like children period and are amazed that someone would actually want to be around kids all day.
sharlan 09:26 PM 03-19-2012
I tell people that I have done it for so many years that it's second nature. I feel lost without a house full of kids during the day.
Meyou 02:34 AM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by littlemisssunshine:
I have a new kid starting tomorrow and a dc parent just asked me if i could " handle" all these kids.. last time i checked i had a daycare i thought daycare meant lots of kids runnin' around! jeesh people
Haha! I have parents ask me how I handle them almost every interview. I don't take offense. It stresses some people to only look after 1 child so our jobs are insanity to them.
sassysue 04:53 AM 03-20-2012
These are the same people who will drop their kid off at 7:00a.m and come in the door all exhausted because they had to get their kid up and dressed.Really lady,because i have 10 more hours with your kid and you're tired from the 1 hour you have to spend with them.
Or the mom who tries to stay and hang out after pick up so she doesn't have to be alone with her kid.Waits until dad will be home to help her.
They make it seem so much harder than it is
countrymom 05:44 AM 03-20-2012
I get that comment too, I sometimes wonder if they dont believe that someone can handle so many children when they can't handle the one they have.
wdmmom 06:19 AM 03-20-2012
I just look at them and smile and say, 'I've got 5 of my own. I've got this!'
SunshineMama 09:25 AM 03-20-2012
I hate it when they say that!

"How do you handle all of these kids?"

"You sure do have your hands full."

"Wow that's a lot of kids you have there."

Ummm... yeah- this IS what I do people. Such a rude question. I always tell them that it is actually easier with more kids because they keep eachother busy and all play together. If I just had to entertain 1 or 2 I think I would go out of my mind.
Country Kids 09:28 AM 03-20-2012
Isn't it funny though-they never say that to teachers!!!!
itlw8 12:17 PM 03-20-2012
I answer routine.... and I can see everyone at all times..

My problem is the evening with just 2 grandkids. they get into everything. LOL
Ariana 12:23 PM 03-20-2012
I get this all the time. I see it as parents who just have very little skill at dealing with their own kids and have no idea the skills we posess, having to deal with this day in and day out.

I once had a GMA, who is a teacher, say "You must find it so hard being with these kids all day" and I replied "not really since this is what I do for a living and am trained to do as an ECE". I mean I'd find it pretty difficult to be an accountant having to crunch numbers and sit at a desk since I'm not trained to do so!! I know the reason she said this is because her Grankid is a nightmare at home but she's good as gold here!!
Mommy2One 12:53 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
I hate it when they say that!

"How do you handle all of these kids?"

"You sure do have your hands full."

"Wow that's a lot of kids you have there."

Ummm... yeah- this IS what I do people. Such a rude question. I always tell them that it is actually easier with more kids because they keep eachother busy and all play together. If I just had to entertain 1 or 2 I think I would go out of my mind.
It may be a rude question, but in most cases I don't think it's intended that way. People have different skill sets and for someone who only has one child of their own and grew up with little to no siblings/cousins around, they may assume that 6-8 kids means 6-8 times the amount of stress/chaos/etc. as taking care of just their little one. Even if you mostly enjoy being a parent and have a pretty well behaved kid, it just takes one tantrum or bad day to make you go "Wow! How do they do it with 8?!" It's no different, in my opinion, than asking an ER doctor how they deal with the stress and blood or being amazed at the skills of an artist when you can barely draw a stick figure.
Suzanne 02:34 PM 03-20-2012
I hate those kind of comments too! One time I was coming out of the indoor playground with 5 kids, all holding hands and being well-behaved and a woman walking by me said, "You poor thing -- I thought I had it rough with 3!" To which I replied, "Yeah, but I get paid and they go home at 5."
Seriously. The nerve of some people.
daycare 02:36 PM 03-20-2012
one mom and dad asked me that in an interview and my response was that I could only handle the kids if the parents participated in following all of my rules, policies and parented their child at home.

They didn't say anything else to me after that
littlemisssunshine 02:46 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Suzanne:
I hate those kind of comments too! One time I was coming out of the indoor playground with 5 kids, all holding hands and being well-behaved and a woman walking by me said, "You poor thing -- I thought I had it rough with 3!" To which I replied, "Yeah, but I get paid and they go home at 5."
Seriously. The nerve of some people.
Lol this made my day
Christian Mother 02:47 PM 03-20-2012
I get that some times and I don't get offended bc there are just a lot of diff. types of people out there. I tell them that for me my back ground was in early childhood education so I'm used to having 15+ toddlers heheh!

But I do know my limit and 5 is it. I agree with the posts above...parents can get over whelmed with parenting and others just have it in them to be able to care for a group full of children. My own sister could never do what I do..so she says. To each there own you know.
daycare 03:00 PM 03-20-2012
lol today we had a visitor who talked to us about eating healthy.

As he was leaving, he said wow that was some good birth control for me..

Being that I have a hard time with american humor, I didn't laugh until later after he left when i finally figured it out...
littlemisssunshine 03:20 PM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol today we had a visitor who talked to us about eating healthy.

As he was leaving, he said wow that was some good birth control for me..

Being that I have a hard time with american humor, I didn't laugh until later after he left when i finally figured it out...
lol, it is some good birth control hahah makes me kinda not wanna have kids lol
Tags:overwhelmed, parents - ask too much
Reply Up