Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal For 18 Month Old
countrymom 11:37 AM 10-08-2013
I usually get kids around 1 yrs old, but I have never had one that had these behaviors (she started at 11 months old)

she doesn't talk, I mean she can't say mamma or dadda--nothing. even mom noticed this

she can't wave, even thou I have showed her countless times.

she does somewhat babbles but its very far and few

she just wonders around my house and just pull toys out but doesn't play with any

she also does this thing with her hands, I'm not sure how to describe it but its like her fingers will go like a nervous habit.

she stares at you when you talk to her and smiles.
spinnymarie 11:41 AM 10-08-2013
Doesn't sound quite on target for 18 months, have her parents discussed this with their pediatrician?
MamaBearCanada 11:46 AM 10-08-2013
She doesn't seem to be meeting developmental milestones...

Here's a sample checklist:

http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs..._18-month.aspx

I have heard of children who are very quiet at daycare but chatter at home. How does she fit in with the other children there? Could she just be overwhelmed or babied by the other children?
Brooksie 11:53 AM 10-08-2013
I would do her developmental screening and take it from there.
http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/Health%...%20Set%20B.pdf
countrymom 12:06 PM 10-08-2013
the kids like her but she doesn't do anything or talk. The other kids talk to her, but she just smiles. She comes in the afternoon everyday so she is with a parent every single day so she gets lots of attention at home. She is the youngest of 3.
countrymom 12:10 PM 10-08-2013
wow, she sure doesn't meet alot of the milestones.

mamabearcanada---do they still have to go and get 18month shots, because if they do then mom needs to talk to dr. when she goes in. Esp. the talking part. It says that she should be able to say 20 words, she says none.
Sunchimes 12:59 PM 10-08-2013
If you were in the US I would suggest that you mention Early Childhood Intervention assessment to mom. I'm guessing they have something similar in Canada.

My now 20 month old sounds exactly like this child except he wouldn't meet your eyes and everything--every. single. thing. went into his mouth. After 4 1/2 months of intense (every 2 hours) sensory exercises, he will easily meet your eyes, and not everything goes straight to his mouth. He has random consonants, but minimal receptive language. He will sometimes respond to No, but not always. He is still dumping toys, but that is actually age appropriate. At least now he will play with them for a minute when he dumps.

I am the biggest fan in the universe of early intervention. If we had waited for his pediatrician, he would still be wandering in a fog.
MamaBearCanada 04:24 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
wow, she sure doesn't meet alot of the milestones.

mamabearcanada---do they still have to go and get 18month shots, because if they do then mom needs to talk to dr. when she goes in. Esp. the talking part. It says that she should be able to say 20 words, she says none.
Yes to needles at 18m. In NB there is also a 90 min screening assessment by public health if your family doctor or pediatrician does not do a comprehensive assessment. I'm not sure if you have something similar in Ontario. I think the word count most doctors look for as a minimum is 5 clear words but 20 is optimal.

Here's a link to Ontario well baby assessments and screenings

http://www.children.gov.on.ca/htdocs...ood/index.aspx
TwinKristi 04:51 PM 10-08-2013
I also highly recommend early intervention! I have a little boy who's been receiving services for a couple months now and making progress! He wasn't talking at all and now he says a few words, mostly repeating sounds we say to him. He still doesn't actually communicate verbally which is hard and what we're working on. I am actively involved in it as well and have had a therapy session here if needed and have visits from the case manager as well until the completely pass it off to the therapists.
Anyway, he does a LOT of the things you describe so she could benefit from intervention as well!
Scout 05:09 PM 10-08-2013
Don't think I am crazy-can she hear? I have a friend who had her son and did not realize until around the same age as your dcg that he was deaf. Then it all started clicking. He wouldn't run to the door to greet his dad when his sister would, unless he saw her do it. He would not jump at loud noises, stuff like this. All of what you described sounds as though it could stem from a hearing issue-imo.
Sunchimes 05:38 PM 10-08-2013
Scout, we went through the same thing with my dcb. When he was 10 months old, I told his mom that I thought he was having hearing problems. She ignored me, which I expected. But, by the time he was 15 months old, we all knew there was a problem. He had no words and he always seemed to be in a fog. There was just no spark.

He had a basic hearing test which indicated moderate to severe hearing loss. The next step was an Auditory Brainstem Response test, done while he was under anesthesia. It showed perfect hearing. I don't think anything has ever shocked me as much as that.

Turns out that he has Sensory Processing disorder. What we thought was hearing trouble is a disconnect between his ear hearing and his brain knowing he was hearing. They explain it that everything sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. He doesn't realize he is hearing words, or even what words are. It's just noise. After 4 months, he will sometimes respond to "No". We are using representative objects, and he knows that when he sees the spoon, we are going to eat, the keys mean the car, the ball means go outside, etc. It's a start, but, he has a spark now.
Scout 06:22 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Scout, we went through the same thing with my dcb. When he was 10 months old, I told his mom that I thought he was having hearing problems. She ignored me, which I expected. But, by the time he was 15 months old, we all knew there was a problem. He had no words and he always seemed to be in a fog. There was just no spark.

He had a basic hearing test which indicated moderate to severe hearing loss. The next step was an Auditory Brainstem Response test, done while he was under anesthesia. It showed perfect hearing. I don't think anything has ever shocked me as much as that.

Turns out that he has Sensory Processing disorder. What we thought was hearing trouble is a disconnect between his ear hearing and his brain knowing he was hearing. They explain it that everything sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher. He doesn't realize he is hearing words, or even what words are. It's just noise. After 4 months, he will sometimes respond to "No". We are using representative objects, and he knows that when he sees the spoon, we are going to eat, the keys mean the car, the ball means go outside, etc. It's a start, but, he has a spark now.
i hope they are ablr to help him!
countrymom 05:53 AM 10-09-2013
here's an update

so I talked to mom yesterday. I told her that I'm concerned that she isn't talking and the way she is playing.

I have her everyday. She literally doesn't say anything, not even makes sounds. She just smiles.
so yesterday I called her name, but in a regular tone (we are pretty loud here) and she didn't turn around, heck she didn't even respond.
then I got down and called her to come to me (bumm change time) I called her over and over to come to me, I even jestered. She just stood there.
also, she doesn't play with toys, yesterday she touched them and dropped them. Didn't even know how to put them back
couldn't even figure out how to push or even sit on a riding toy (I have 3 of them in the house)

so I mentioned to mom. and you know what mom says. She says "oh ya I noticed that she does this at home" (I pick my mouth up) so then she tells me that she walks around the house also not playing with anything, she just dumps and walks away all day, not interest in anything. Also the speech thing, well even mom noticed that she doesn't talk.
so in a couple of weeks she will go for her shots and I will give her a list of things going on here. Oh the best part, mom blames dad for not doing anything with her and not talking to her.
Scout 07:38 AM 10-09-2013
The more you tell us, the more I think this poor girl can not hear. These parents should not be waiting to take her in for her shots, IMO she needs evaluated now. Poor thing. She is missing out on so much.
countrymom 08:53 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
The more you tell us, the more I think this poor girl can not hear. These parents should not be waiting to take her in for her shots, IMO she needs evaluated now. Poor thing. She is missing out on so much.
I totally agree with you, but I can lead a horse to water.....
Scout 09:21 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I totally agree with you, but I can lead a horse to water.....
I know
Tags:2 year old, milestones, milestones - speech, won't talk
Reply Up