Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Official Week Done! But...
Claraskids 05:41 PM 10-23-2015
I did it! I made it through the first week of daycare, and as a bonus, I know that the kiddos are coming back next week. Sweet brother and sister pair - seven week old girl and not quite 2 1/2 year old boy. The only red flag that I had at interview was quickly dispelled by the third day - mom had pulled them from their other daycare within 48 hours. But she paid me in cash - in advance - and gave me their schedule already for next week. They are full-time, but she has a rotating work schedule/class schedule.
So why the "but"? I took a look at my own calendar and realized I do not have a single day off until Thanksgiving Until I can get at least one more child in the door, I need to still work 12-20 hours at my other job. Hence, weekends are also work days. I am trying to figure out where to come up with more time and ENERGY to make this work.
My own kids help. DD16 can drive herself to school and dance lessons. She is also taking care of dinner and watching her younger brothers on weekends. My boys help with their own chores and give great hugs. They have also been less whiny lately about doing their school lessons - oh, did I mention that I also homeschool the younger two - yes, I am that crazy mom.
When my husband gets home in a few days, we are going to take a closer look at the budget to see when I can put in my 2 week notice. Or at least go down to only one weekend day.
daycare 05:54 PM 10-23-2015
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
I did it! I made it through the first week of daycare, and as a bonus, I know that the kiddos are coming back next week. Sweet brother and sister pair - seven week old girl and not quite 2 1/2 year old boy. The only red flag that I had at interview was quickly dispelled by the third day - mom had pulled them from their other daycare within 48 hours. But she paid me in cash - in advance - and gave me their schedule already for next week. They are full-time, but she has a rotating work schedule/class schedule.
So why the "but"? I took a look at my own calendar and realized I do not have a single day off until Thanksgiving Until I can get at least one more child in the door, I need to still work 12-20 hours at my other job. Hence, weekends are also work days. I am trying to figure out where to come up with more time and ENERGY to make this work.
My own kids help. DD16 can drive herself to school and dance lessons. She is also taking care of dinner and watching her younger brothers on weekends. My boys help with their own chores and give great hugs. They have also been less whiny lately about doing their school lessons - oh, did I mention that I also homeschool the younger two - yes, I am that crazy mom.
When my husband gets home in a few days, we are going to take a closer look at the budget to see when I can put in my 2 week notice. Or at least go down to only one weekend day.
congrats on your first week! You survived! lol.

TGIF I hope you have a wonderful weekend and if I have not already said welcome to the form, well let me say it now!!

WELCOME
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 10-24-2015
You've jumped over the biggest hurdle, getting your first clients. Usually after that, word of mouth spreads quickly. Maybe your dcf can help you find new families? Then you can give your 2 week notice and work M-F. Congrats on making it through your 1st week!
And welcome.
Controlled Chaos 07:30 AM 10-24-2015
Welcome! It takes time, but it sounds like you are doing great it took me 6 months to get full and 3 years to feel like I could confidently enforce my policies. Glad you are here and hope you fill up soon
Claraskids 02:02 PM 10-24-2015
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes! I have greatly enjoyed reading all the posts the last few months - they were a huge help in writing my parent handbook.
Yes, I do keep praying that the second family is right around the corner. Both for my sanity and also to help keep dcb2 entertained. He really needs a buddy closer to his age.
As a bonus, though, my own very picky eater keeps commenting on how healthy all our meals have gotten lately. He loved the smoothies enough to request them even after daycare hours. That's a huge win for a sensory sensitive/aspergers child!!
Claraskids 09:57 AM 11-02-2015
Gave my two weeks notice yesterday - no more 20 hour weekends!!
Today I started my second family/third child, an 8 month old boy. No more infant spots available; both families paying full time rates.
Taking the leap
laundrymom 10:08 AM 11-02-2015
Today I started my second family/third child, an 8 month old boy. No more infant spots available; both families paying full time rates.
Taking the leap

Blackcat31 10:13 AM 11-02-2015
Taking the leap
Good for you!
CalCare 10:29 AM 11-02-2015

hsdcmama 11:13 AM 11-03-2015
So glad to hear your first weeks have gone well! I homeschool too (3 kids ages 5, 8 & 10), and I am taking classes at the local college to apply for the nursing program -- hopefully within the next 2 years. I applaud you for taking the leap! It can be very overwhelming at times, but we do what we have to do.
Tags:new daycare, new to daycare
Reply Up