Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Help Me Decide!
Unregistered 11:10 AM 04-21-2015
I am a registered user, but logged out just in case. So, I will try to explain as simply as possible, but I tend to ramble

I watch dcb (9 months) 1-4 days a week. I have watched him since two months and have great relations with the family (no payment problems, late pick up, ect). His mom works 4 days on , 4 days off, 12 hour shifts, so with driving time, that makes my day 13 hours (5:15 am-6:15 pm). Sometimes, dad can pick up earlier, but it is never earlier than 5:30, so every day is at least 12 hours. They pay me $200 a week, every week, and get 2 weeks unpaid vacation each year. I also get two weeks unpaid vacation time, so they technically pay for 48 weeks of care each year. I have him, on average, about ten days per month.

Mom called me today and said her job wants her to go to 5-2-5-3 shifts. (what??) She said it means she would be working 5 days a week, but get monday off ever other week. She asked me if I could do it and what I would charge and said she needed to know quickly. I am like...wth? Five, 13 hour days? Do I want that? At the same time, to be honest, I want to make more money and not take on any other kids, because I love my littles. This could be my opportunity to charge enough to not have to take on any more kids, but my hours would be basically 65 a week. Any advice would be great! I am suppose to email her back soon, but I am kind of annoyed she is putting me ont he spot like this. Would $375 be too much to ask? (again, the hours would M-F, 5:15-6:15, with two mondays off a month). Thank you for any help!
AmyKidsCo 11:16 AM 04-21-2015
Honestly, I personally couldn't do it. I used to do 12 hour days and had to cut back because I was burning out. It didn't help that I couldn't take the dck with me anywhere so I was stuck in the house all that time and missed a lot of my children's after-school events.

If you can stand having him with you that long, can take him with you if you want to go someplace, it might be worthwhile.

For rate, try figuring out your current hourly rate and multiplying by the new hours and see how you feel about that total.
Baby lady 11:17 AM 04-21-2015
Are they still 12 hour shifts at 4 or 5 days a week? what sort of job is allowed that kind of hours?

I have my grandson when my daughter works 12 hour shifts, but no way would I do it for anyone else. I have him from 6:30 am - 8:00 pm, but only once or twice a week, sometimes she works 8 hour shifts

I have no idea how much I'd charge for that
Blackcat31 11:17 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a registered user, but logged out just in case. So, I will try to explain as simply as possible, but I tend to ramble

I watch dcb (9 months) 1-4 days a week. I have watched him since two months and have great relations with the family (no payment problems, late pick up, ect). His mom works 4 days on , 4 days off, 12 hour shifts, so with driving time, that makes my day 13 hours (5:15 am-6:15 pm). Sometimes, dad can pick up earlier, but it is never earlier than 5:30, so every day is at least 12 hours. They pay me $200 a week, every week, and get 2 weeks unpaid vacation each year. I also get two weeks unpaid vacation time, so they technically pay for 48 weeks of care each year. I have him, on average, about ten days per month.

Mom called me today and said her job wants her to go to 5-2-5-3 shifts. (what??) She said it means she would be working 5 days a week, but get monday off ever other week. She asked me if I could do it and what I would charge and said she needed to know quickly. I am like...wth? Five, 13 hour days? Do I want that? At the same time, to be honest, I want to make more money and not take on any other kids, because I love my littles. This could be my opportunity to charge enough to not have to take on any more kids, but my hours would be basically 65 a week. Any advice would be great! I am suppose to email her back soon, but I am kind of annoyed she is putting me ont he spot like this. Would $375 be too much to ask? (again, the hours would M-F, 5:15-6:15, with two mondays off a month). Thank you for any help!
If dad can pick up at 5:30 why would care be longer?

I wouldn't do it. That is an awfully long time to care for someone else's child. It's one thing if it were 3 days a week but M-F with only 2 days off a month other than weekends? With DCB spending that much time with you, he almost counts as a dependent.

I value my bank account but I value my time more. I also prefer parents that want to spend QUALITY time with their child.

I also would not allow her to tell you when you have to respond by....I'd really really think this over. I would be honest and tell her that she is putting you on the spot and you don't want to decide until you've had a chance to weigh all the positives and negatives first.

Longer hours means more stress for you and that might bleed into the mood and stress you have with the others...kwim?

IF you do decide to do it, I'd ONLY agree to see how it works (another trial period)

Good luck in whatever choice you make but remember when you say yes to others, make sure you arent' saying no to yourself (or your family)
finsup 11:19 AM 04-21-2015
Yikes...that's a lot of hours! I don't know...if I really loved the family, maybe. But I'd have to REALLY love them lol. But 375 a week...that's pretty tempting too! Ah I'm no help lol. That's such a long day for that little one you would be a huge influence on his life if you do decide to do that!
melilley 11:25 AM 04-21-2015
Those are REALLY long days! I guess it would depend on the baby. Is the baby easy? Is the baby your only one? I could probably do it if the baby was the only one and if he were easy going. It would kind of be like having your own baby. And if you could go places with him, that would be a factor for me.

As for pay, that would be 15 extra hours every other week (when you work Monday) for me. I would have to think about what would be worth charging.
Unregistered 11:25 AM 04-21-2015
Thank you for the responses! Dcm and dad work for an oil industry company, so he is a truck driver (long shifts, sometimes random) and mom does dispatch work, so her shifts are 12 hour/4 day shifts. She called me at lunch today and explained it all to me and asked me if I would consider it and I told her it would mean a change in pay and I would need to think on it, but that I love dcb and would hate to lose him, but she honestly has no other options in terms of childcare, so if I don't do it, then she will have to find a new job or stay home. I lose money in both those situations. If she finds a new job with standard hours, I will work more, for a less rate, since she would be a "normal" client and I charge her more right now for the irregular and long hours.

The hours are so long, but I love the little guy and I am trying to weight the odds of longer hours with him, versus taking on a new kid and having potential problems. My son starts school int he fall, so keeping my crew small means I can transport easier and have less overhead, but again, the hours make me scared Thank you so much for the input!
Annalee 11:28 AM 04-21-2015
Thank you for the responses! Dcm and dad work for an oil industry company, so he is a truck driver (long shifts, sometimes random) and mom does dispatch work, so her shifts are 12 hour/4 day shifts. She called me at lunch today and explained it all to me and asked me if I would consider it and I told her it would mean a change in pay and I would need to think on it, but that I love dcb and would hate to lose him, but she honestly has no other options in terms of childcare, so if I don't do it, then she will have to find a new job or stay home. I lose money in both those situations. If she finds a new job with standard hours, I will work more, for a less rate, since she would be a "normal" client and I charge her more right now for the irregular and long hours.

The hours are so long, but I love the little guy and I am trying to weight the odds of longer hours with him, versus taking on a new kid and having potential problems. My son starts school int he fall, so keeping my crew small means I can transport easier and have less overhead, but again, the hours make me scared Thank you so much for the input!
Long hours get old really quick and no amount of money will make that better. Think long and hard on this before committing....looks like a burnout potential situation with loads of stress.
melilley 11:28 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If dad can pick up at 5:30 why would care be longer?

Yeah, why would the hours be longer? I wonder what his starting/work hours are? That is a long time for a child to be in care every week.
Thriftylady 11:30 AM 04-21-2015
It sounds like you want to keep him. It may make a difference for me if mom and dad could promise to get him him early (or have someone else do it X times a month? That way not every day would be so long. And I would charge quite a bit for it, because it is eating into your personal life.
Unregistered 11:32 AM 04-21-2015
I watch this dcb and one other girl and my own two kids. My son starts school in aug and my daughter will go to preschool 2 days a week, so I am really enjoying the small group, but I am not sure what is an okay amount to ask for. They pay $200 a week, but when you average days for the month, I would literally be working twice as many days, but $400 a week seems like too much to ask for. More like nanny rates in my area.
Thriftylady 11:51 AM 04-21-2015
I watch this dcb and one other girl and my own two kids. My son starts school in aug and my daughter will go to preschool 2 days a week, so I am really enjoying the small group, but I am not sure what is an okay amount to ask for. They pay $200 a week, but when you average days for the month, I would literally be working twice as many days, but $400 a week seems like too much to ask for. More like nanny rates in my area.
That may seem high, but can she get the service anywhere else without actually getting a nanny? A nanny may ask for $400 a week, but would actually cost way more than that because they would be paying all the taxes and such on a nanny.
Unregistered 05:08 PM 04-21-2015
okay, so dcm talked to me and gave me a schedule for the year. The original schedule averaged 10 days per month...the new schedule averages 15 days per month. The problem I have is that on some months, I am working almost 5 days a week, every week, and these are 13 hour days, so even though the other months average them out, I am still busting my ass for some months, and I want to get paid for the inconvenience of it. And, on top of it, tis is the third time in 8 months that the dcm has come to me with potential schedule changes. And not just minor changes, but big changes. I watch one other little girl and my own two kids (who start school/preschool in the fall), so would it be unreasonable to ask her for more "nanny" like rates? Like say, $375 a week, 5 days, 5:15-6:15, schedule set a week in advance, ect. Then they can just pay me and have me available (with notice for non work events) and we won't have to do this schedule/pay rate dance every few months? Any help?
Thriftylady 05:20 PM 04-21-2015
Gosh it seems this keeps getting more complicated. I'm not sure but I do think you need paid for those long days.
Unregistered 05:41 PM 04-21-2015
It is so complicated Thrifty! I just don't know how to base my rate and with the continual changes, I just want to make sure I take care of myself, kwim? I am just not sure what to charge and if I go to easy, I feel like I am setting myself up for future issues with schedule changes, where I may end up kicking myself later on. Agh! I hate making decisions!
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 04-22-2015
It is so complicated Thrifty! I just don't know how to base my rate and with the continual changes, I just want to make sure I take care of myself, kwim? I am just not sure what to charge and if I go to easy, I feel like I am setting myself up for future issues with schedule changes, where I may end up kicking myself later on. Agh! I hate making decisions!
Given what you have added to the scenario...honestly the ONLY way I would do this is if the family simply hired you on as their nanny.

I would see if you can contact some agencies or area care places and find out what the going rate is for a nanny.

If the family pays you $400-$500 a week, you could basically be available when she/he NEEDS to work and even put up with a few changes in scheduling.

If however, the schedule changes so that additional hours are needed (say more than 5+ hours) or days then the rate will be increased.

I don't know, I am just thinking out loud because with what they are asking of you, you would basically be equivalent to a nanny. Just that you aren't in their home...kwim?

Anything less than $400-500 ....and I am seriously leaning towards the $500 mark as they are asking for a lot of 13 hour days .... anything less and I don't think it would be worth it. Plus you are already spending a ton of time and attention on even deciding if you should that I suspect you will have to do the same when she again presents "ANOTHER" schedule change.

I say term your other child and ask for nanny rates. Otherwise, these people really don't need in home daycare. They need a nanny or another parent.

That's a lot of hours away from their momma for such a little guy.

Good luck OP...I am sure I wasn't very helpful...

Keep us posted as to what you do decide to do.
Unregistered 08:21 AM 04-22-2015
Given what you have added to the scenario...honestly the ONLY way I would do this is if the family simply hired you on as their nanny.

I would see if you can contact some agencies or area care places and find out what the going rate is for a nanny.

If the family pays you $400-$500 a week, you could basically be available when she/he NEEDS to work and even put up with a few changes in scheduling.

If however, the schedule changes so that additional hours are needed (say more than 5+ hours) or days then the rate will be increased.

I don't know, I am just thinking out loud because with what they are asking of you, you would basically be equivalent to a nanny. Just that you aren't in their home...kwim?

Anything less than $400-500 ....and I am seriously leaning towards the $500 mark as they are asking for a lot of 13 hour days .... anything less and I don't think it would be worth it. Plus you are already spending a ton of time and attention on even deciding if you should that I suspect you will have to do the same when she again presents "ANOTHER" schedule change.

I say term your other child and ask for nanny rates. Otherwise, these people really don't need in home daycare. They need a nanny or another parent.

That's a lot of hours away from their momma for such a little guy.

Good luck OP...I am sure I wasn't very helpful...

Keep us posted as to what you do decide to do.
Thank you so much for the advice! I was suppose to email her last night with a decision, but I never got around to it until this morning. I felt like you...this is more of nanny territory, and that really would be the best thing for them, so the little guy wouldn't have to be woken up at 4 am to get here, so I mentioned that in my email and offered them a daily rate. I am really unsure if it is the right move, but with her schedule potentially changing again and the varying amount of days needed each week, it is just so much easier to pay by the day. I said $80 a day, which is probably high, but it breaks down to $6.15 an hour and nannies in my area are at least $10/12. Even a high school or college kid will charge closer to $8, since they can get a retail job for $12/15 in my area. And then you factor in time and half for the weeks where the nanny would have to work 65 hours, plus employment taxes, so I think $6.15 is a decent price. I hope they think so too, but I think the sticker shock of how much they will be paying each month will be harsh. The first month, they need 18 days of care, so $1440, but the second month, they only need 12 days, so $960, which is about what they pay now, so if they can just get past that first month, they will see that I am allowing them control over how much they need to use daycare, so I hope they see the risk that is for me, which is costly. I will let you know what mom says, if she emails me back. I will get worried if I don't hear from her soon
Unregistered 08:54 AM 04-22-2015
Mom emailed back and said they didn't think they could do the daily rate, so they offered $300 per week. I was thinking of countering at $325, but now I am just unsure what to do. She said that she has decided to stay with her company, so she thinks the schedule will be set from now on. Of course, I have been watching him for 8 months, and this is now the third time of potential schedule changes. I am getting a bit tired of being put in the potsition of having to readdress my job every time she decides to change things up.
Gemma 09:00 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Long hours get old really quick and no amount of money will make that better. Think long and hard on this before committing....looks like a burnout potential situation with loads of stress.
this
Annalee 09:18 AM 04-22-2015
Mom emailed back and said they didn't think they could do the daily rate, so they offered $300 per week. I was thinking of countering at $325, but now I am just unsure what to do. She said that she has decided to stay with her company, so she thinks the schedule will be set from now on. Of course, I have been watching him for 8 months, and this is now the third time of potential schedule changes. I am getting a bit tired of being put in the potsition of having to readdress my job every time she decides to change things up.
Mom is only going to be thinking what is best for her. Do NOT let her play on your heartstrings. I have been there and done that too many times in my early years....Decide what you want based on what is best for your family and be non-negotiable with it. If she wants your services, she will make it work. If not, she was looking elsewhere anyway!
Leigh 09:23 AM 04-22-2015
$1440 + $960/2= $1200 a month.

$300 x 52/12= $1300 a month.

The mom is offering you $100 a month more than you were asking for.
Unregistered 09:48 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
$1440 + $960/2= $1200 a month.

$300 x 52/12= $1300 a month.

The mom is offering you $100 a month more than you were asking for.
It is so funny you posted this, because I was just trying to do the math and figure out what to do. Basically, she needs 113 days of care for the next 8 months.

$80 a day x 113= $9040

$300 per week x 31 weeks= $9300
(*35 more weeks left for the year, two weeks unpaid vacay for her and two for me, so 31 weeks of care)

So, she will be paying me more, just drawn out over time. This is my issue. May is the first month of this new schedule and is one of the months where she needs the most care (18 days). What if she ends up changing her job or schedule after I work the month of may at 300 a week, expecting to have a little more time off for June/July, and then she ends up changing things again? It is only more money if she continues care for the year, but if she quits sooner or changes schedules again, then I risk working my butt off for the month of may for the set rate, only to end up getting screwed over come the next months. What if I said I will do the weekly rate, but only with the contingency that they give one month notice if they plan to leave and with the condition that my rate does not go down from this point. (300/5 days a week=$60)? Any future changes to the schedule, regardless of hour changes, will be at the rate of $60 per day. Is that too strict or should I make sure I am very sure to cover my @ss?
Blackcat31 10:03 AM 04-22-2015
Being that her schedule is so erratic I would charge a daily rate not a weekly rate....unless the weekly rate was a flat rate based on the average daily rate.

I would be concerned also about her schedule/needs changing yet again or her suddenly deciding in the next 2 months that she is pulling out of daycare all together.

...ugh, why does daycare have to be so complicated?!?
Annalee 10:07 AM 04-22-2015
Being that her schedule is so erratic I would charge a daily rate not a weekly rate....unless the weekly rate was a flat rate based on the average daily rate.

I would be concerned also about her schedule/needs changing yet again or her suddenly deciding in the next 2 months that she is pulling out of daycare all together.

...ugh, why does daycare have to be so complicated?!?
this is what I have thought all along....what if the provider accommodates and then the client leaves anyway.
AmyLeigh 10:14 AM 04-22-2015
If you really think about it, the daily rate is better for both parties. Mom technically pays less, as the math shows, and it protects you against possible future schedule changes.
Unregistered 10:24 AM 04-22-2015
I wouldn't do it. The extra money wouldn't be worth my family time and my one on one with my dd. I find my 9.5-10 hour days long enough.
alicia@home 10:29 AM 04-22-2015
If I loved the kid and my husband was ok with having another kid around in the evening, I would probably do it. Somebody else mentioned being able to go out of the house and I completely agree with that! It is never fun to be stuck inside, and it's almost summer time!

Could you tell her that you will give it a try? Maybe have a trial period with a set amount of time to see how the hours work for you...You can't know how it will work until you actually do it.
Is she going to keep her current shift if you say you won't watch him those hours?
Unregistered 10:06 AM 04-23-2015
I wouldn't hesitate to do the daily rate. If she thinks it is too expensive, she can go somewhere else. I have learned the hard way that when you fall in love with the child - the parent takes advantage. They won't have an issue with moving to another state or going to a center vs. a home daycare, but they expect you to bend over backward because you really love their child.

This is the deal: these children will come and go. Your family stays the same.

If it is too rough on your family, don't do it at all. There are folks out there desperate for infant care. It will not be a problem filling an infant slot.

I actually charge an hourly rate of $13 an hour here in the MD area, and parents don't even bat an eye. Because I have a flex schedule, I am in between a nanny and a home daycare. I have all of the licensing and training, etc. of a regular home daycare, but I am able to offer more flexible scheduling. Due to my 24/7 approval from the OCC, I charge $75 from 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. and then add $3 for before 8 a.m. and after 6 p.m. because it is rougher on my family to have daycare during those hours.

This is what she is asking of you. She wants your licensed daycare with all of your training and security measures in place...but using you as a nanny. She has to pay for it.

I guarantee you that she needs you more than you need her. Nannies get sick, don't come to work, can't pass background checks, don't have decent vehicles, etc....nannies are a lot more of a gamble. You are a sure thing. Do not let your love for her child cloud this business transaction.

I would do the daily rate, plus an X amount for the longer hours. Or tell her that it is $13 an hour nanny rate for the hours you would not normally be open.
Reply Up