Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's Your Policy on Head Lice ?!?
Provider_Manda 01:32 PM 08-02-2012
Ok so for the past 3 wks. I have a dck that has had head lice. First time I found it, I found a B-U-G and thought I was gonna die !! Anyway I cleaned my home and even set off a fogger and sprayed furinture. Well ever since then I check her and I will find nits !! They have treated (so they say) and Im still finding them !! I was told that dck was scratching at church so the next time I had her I checked and I pulled out 20 nits !! I had to take her to church to a family member, and told them. They took dck home and found 4, well Mom bring dck back the next morning and said that they treated early that morning...I checked after lunch, and found 15 more !! I keep stressing the importance of getting every single nit out, but I don't think it is sinking in...What is your policy ? I am at a loss, and I have no idea what to do.
SilverSabre25 01:33 PM 08-02-2012
Perhaps the family has missed a few vital things to treat--the car, the car seat, the bed clothes, toys and stuffies, couches, etc. They might not realize how important it is to treat the entire house and each car, etc. To find that many sounds like an active infestation elsewhere still. Perhaps the parents haven't treated themselves?!

Now *my* head is itching, thanks a lot !
Blackcat31 01:39 PM 08-02-2012
No nits. PERIOD. No service until 100% free from nits AND bugs.
AnneCordelia 01:39 PM 08-02-2012
I check for nits upon arrival while parents wait. I have a trusted nit comb I use. There must be no lIve bugs and no nits for a child to be readmitted into care.
Provider_Manda 02:17 PM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Perhaps the family has missed a few vital things to treat--the car, the car seat, the bed clothes, toys and stuffies, couches, etc. They might not realize how important it is to treat the entire house and each car, etc. To find that many sounds like an active infestation elsewhere still. Perhaps the parents haven't treated themselves?!

Now *my* head is itching, thanks a lot !
Well, I made sure I told them about the car seats, bedding toys and the house..even themselves. They swear they have done all of these things and that they have been checked and are clear...And sorry for making your head itch, when I think about it I itch as well..lol
e.j. 02:30 PM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here. I've only had one child come in with lice in all the years I've done child care but that was enough. I never want it to happen again. That child ended up having lice for about a month before she was clear. After her dad brought her back once saying she was all set when she still had bugs, I started meeting them at the door to check her myself. I sent her home several times before she was finally lice free.
Provider_Manda 05:28 PM 08-02-2012
I am so aggrevated right now..I called dc mom to let her know my son has had diarrhea twice today pretty bad and that he had no other symptoms just as a heads up..Well I went ahead and decided to ask about dck's head and she said 2 ppl checked and didn't find anything..So I said very nice "If you don't care, come a few mins. early and I will check her before you leave." So mom goes on to say that maybe she will just find someone to watch them tomorrow, b/c she doesn't want anyone looking down on dck !! What ?!? are you kidding me..to me it sounds like they didn't do there job, and don't want me to call them out on it ! What does it sound like to you ??
e.j. 06:27 PM 08-02-2012
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
to me it sounds like they didn't do there job, and don't want me to call them out on it ! What does it sound like to you ??
It sounds pretty much the same to me. If I had thoroughly checked my child's hair and had 2 other people double check it for me, I'd have no hesitation bringing my child in to be checked at drop off. Sounds like she was trying to slip one past you and now that she knows you plan to check the child's head before she leaves, she finds it easier to get someone else to watch the child. I wonder if she'll make that person aware of the lice problem or just expose an unsuspecting friend to the fun of getting it, too.
countrymom 06:37 PM 08-02-2012
what is mom using. I know alot of people are using the mayo method, also, go buy some tea tree oil and put it in your shampoo everytime you wash your hair, also use hairspray or gel on you and your family.

also, I think you need to wait a week inbetween treatments. But I would stop them at the door and check. Also, if she has them I bet you other family members have them too.
Bugsworthy 08:22 PM 08-02-2012
Mom is trying to slip it past you. Our policy is a "No Nit" Policy. We've only had to deal with it once. It felt like we were the child's advocate, because dcm wasn't taking care of it. When we drew the line, she didn't have a choice.
Meyou 02:10 AM 08-03-2012
It sounds like Mom is just treating and not nit picking. Picking out the nits carefully is more important IMO than whatever "treatment" they used. Hard work gets rid of lice although chemicals speed the process up a little.

My policy is no nits and I check at the door.
Kaddidle Care 03:47 AM 08-03-2012
No nit policy and I hope you stand firm on this. Our State Board of Health says you don't have to be nit free but I really feel this is the way to be rid of the lice completely.

There's a High School in an ajoining town that doesn't take lice seriously and they had a huge problem last year. It was running rampant.

Unfortunately one of our students played with a cousin that went there and got them twice. Thankfully the Mom was a hairdresser and found it and treated the child before they even attended our place. We still had to check every child for 2 weeks.

OK now my head is itching.
Provider_Manda 06:13 AM 08-03-2012
lol..Sorry for making everyone's head itch. I have been very nice about this, but this is going on the 3rd week. I am now having to check all the kids head's and make sure the parents know we have had it here. I don't want anyone to catch it from here and then that "ruin" my name (you would be surprised at what ppl will use) She was suppose to have been using Rid. But I just think they are treating and not nit picking, which I have stressed over and over. When I was explaining to her on the phone that no one would look down on her, and that whatever she decided she needed to let me know, she hung up on me.
I was not rude, nor mean about the situation. I even told her last time to bring the stuff and I would help her treat her. I hope she can get it under control. If she doesn't come today, then I won't see them for 2 1/2 weeks due to Moms vacation and my own.

Oh am I ready for VACATION !!
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 08-03-2012
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
lol..Sorry for making everyone's head itch. I have been very nice about this, but this is going on the 3rd week. I am now having to check all the kids head's and make sure the parents know we have had it here. I don't want anyone to catch it from here and then that "ruin" my name (you would be surprised at what ppl will use) She was suppose to have been using Rid. But I just think they are treating and not nit picking, which I have stressed over and over. When I was explaining to her on the phone that no one would look down on her, and that whatever she decided she needed to let me know, she hung up on me. I was not rude, nor mean about the situation. I even told her last time to bring the stuff and I would help her treat her. I hope she can get it under control. If she doesn't come today, then I won't see them for 2 1/2 weeks due to Moms vacation and my own.

Oh am I ready for VACATION !!
I would term immediately for that! What the heck? You are only trying to help her!!

What does she think will happen when her kids gets to public school? They check there BEFORE allowing the child to come back to school so it isn't like you are humiliating her child by checking her for something that is a safety and health risk to others!

I would spend the next 2 1/2 weeks that you won't see this family filling her spot!
nanglgrl 12:36 PM 08-03-2012
I had a dcb come with lice once. He had very thin light blond hair so the black bugs were very noticeable. I sent him home and they treated him and I didn't notice the nits until mid morning of the next day. I sent him home and treated my house and family just in case....repeat entire situation a few times...they even took him to the doctor and got prescription treatment. After the 2nd repeat and me having to treat my house again I told them if he came back with nits and/or bugs they would have to reimburse me for the cost of treating my household. I also suggested that since he was only 1 1/2 years old they could just shave his head and be done with it...they just refused. They did end up reimbursing me for the two times they brought him after the lice was supposed to be gone. I should explain that at the time of this I had just started out (no backbone)and he arrived as I was getting the school agers ready to go.
Science and logic 05:12 PM 04-20-2017
Why is it that no one here has bothered to mention anything based on science or fact?
Every state has a department of health. That should be the standard.

If a dispute arises between parent and daycare, use a doctor's appointment as a final say.

My daughter has cradle cap.
Along with that, a lot of the gels that help you comb through after doing the shampoos leave a white, dandruff looking substance on the hair.

Add in that business and parent are naturally going to lean towards their side of the topic.

Now add in that most daycare staff and most parents aren't trained to say if someone is sage to return to being around the other kids (who they likely got it from in the first place.

Now add in that lice carry no disease and pose no actual health risk

Now add in that the daycare is only trying to mitigate the opinions of parents who lack actual knowledge and are only basing things on what they thought they knew from when they were a kid

Differences in what is proper should be decided by a doctor who has been trained for years on topics like this ... and been verified by the department of health.

Amd for whatever it's worth .
. My doctor was befuddled when I said I needed an appointment for this.

Have a backbone ... and follow something based on science and not fear.
Denali 08:19 PM 04-20-2017
Children are excluded for a minimum of 7 days (including weekend) while they do the two round treatment (the recommended one here is the 'do one treatment then pick nits then treat again a week later'), then have a licensed professional check and bring me a note stating they are bug and nit free, and for the following 4 weeks I do head checks twice a day on all children. I also do a weekly check every Monday regardless.

And yes they still pay when they are out for lice.

I have had two cases come through here and it has never spread. I will not mess with lice and if I loose families from my lice policy so be it. If the parents are doing their job of picking, treating, and washing they will only be out a week tops.

Note: this may seem extreme, but my mom ran a child care for 15 years and had one family that had lice for months because they were not doing the treatments and picking correctly. She didn't make them pay while they were out. Mom finally had enough and just termed. She said it was terrible.
childcaremom 04:16 AM 04-21-2017
Originally Posted by Science and logic:
Why is it that no one here has bothered to mention anything based on science or fact?

If a dispute arises between parent and daycare, use a doctor's appointment as a final say.

Along with that, a lot of the gels that help you comb through after doing the shampoos leave a white, dandruff looking substance on the hair.

Add in that business and parent are naturally going to lean towards their side of the topic.

Now add in that most daycare staff and most parents aren't trained to say if someone is sage to return to being around the other kids (who they likely got it from in the first place.

Now add in that the daycare is only trying to mitigate the opinions of parents who lack actual knowledge and are only basing things on what they thought they knew from when they were a kid

Differences in what is proper should be decided by a doctor who has been trained for years on topics like this ... and been verified by the department of health.

Our schools just changed this past year to allow kids at school with nits. Guess what my dds got this year?

The deterent for me is the time and expense of treatment. We spent close to $400 on treatments and professional treatment. Not to mention many evenings spent nit picking and checking our heads. And the laundry. Etc etc.

So, nope, no lice AND no nits in my house.

My home. My rules. There's my backbone.
Josiegirl 04:23 AM 04-21-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Our schools just changed this past year to allow kids at school with nits. Guess what my dds got this year?

The deterent for me is the time and expense of treatment. We spent close to $400 on treatments and professional treatment. Not to mention many evenings spent nit picking and checking our heads. And the laundry. Etc etc.

So, nope, no lice AND no nits in my house.

My home. My rules. There's my backbone.
Exactly!!! Bedbugs aren't really a health issue either(AFAIK) BUT that doesn't mean I want to knowingly spread infestation around. Besides, if everybody ends up getting lice, that's more lost work time for parents, their co-workers and families, etc., etc. AND possible loss of dcfs so there goes your business, word gets around and pretty sure you're known as *that* lice daycare that nobody wants to enroll at. Yes, it can snowball. NO THANKS.
Blackcat31 05:54 AM 04-21-2017

Science and logic?

Where?
DaveA 06:04 AM 04-21-2017

The one fatal flaw in your logic is that the Doctor and Health Department don't run my business. I do. The health department's goal is to establish minimum safety guidelines. If I want to go beyond what they consider "safe" I can. As for the doctor- they aren't coming to my house to clean, paying for the cleaning supplies, or dealing with other angry families with kids who picked up lice because I didn't exclude someone who had it. So they don't get to tell me who is ok to attend.

If DCPs don't like my policies they don't have to use my business. But if they are here they work within a contract of what I consider best. I don't want lice in my house. So no one with nits or lice is going to be attending.
Mike 07:20 AM 04-21-2017
Nobody notice that this thread was 5 years ago? Oh well, still applies today.

Again, people think doctors get to say what dc providers do or don't do.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 04-21-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Nobody notice that this thread was 5 years ago? Oh well, still applies today.

Again, people think doctors get to say what dc providers do or don't do.
Oh, I noticed

but I just HAD to comment on today's unreg poster.....
Josiegirl 09:30 AM 04-21-2017
Oh, I noticed

but I just HAD to comment on today's unreg poster.....
Yes, same here. Some topics never get too old to comment on.
e.j. 12:33 PM 04-21-2017
The day someone at the CDC, the health department or the doctor's office allows kids with lice into their own home to play is the day I'll consider allowing kids with lice into my own. Just kidding! Not happening! Ever! Lice may not carry disease or cause any health problems but there's a certain ick factor to having bugs running rampant in your home - especially bugs that like to set up camp in your hair! I don't know about science but logic tells me that if I don't want lice in my home (and I don't!) , having a no nit/no lice policy is the way to go. .
nannyde 02:30 PM 04-21-2017

Now add in this.

I don't want bugs in my house.
I loose clients if their kid gets lice in my house.
It cost me time and money to treat my house and it is VERY expensive.

You want facts? Here ya go:

My house
My money
My rules

I don't care what a doctor says. Ask the doctor if he wants a kid with lice to come have a sleep over at his house and I bet you would get a science free response.

When are parents going to understand we are SELF employed? We get to decide. Kids with lice are not protected under the disabilities act. We don't have to provide a lice friendly environment.
nannyde 02:38 PM 04-21-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
The day someone at the CDC, the health department or the doctor's office allows kids with lice into their own home to play is the day I'll consider allowing kids with lice into my own. Just kidding! Not happening! Ever! Lice may not carry disease or cause any health problems but there's a certain ick factor to having bugs running rampant in your home - especially bugs that like to set up camp in your hair! I don't know about science but logic tells me that if I don't want lice in my home (and I don't!) , having a no nit/no lice policy is the way to go. .
That's what I'm sayin.

They gross me out. That's a little scientific fact for ya.
Science and logic 11:15 PM 04-21-2017
You don't want bugs in your home.
Well that kid who has head lice and an itchy head has had head lice for four weeks already.

So your home is already exposed.

And for the record, I was referring to daycare centers.

And yes, have a backbone and educate people if their not educated.

By you being ignorant, you encourage your customers to not even tell you if they noticed head lice on their kid while not at daycare.
So ... by you having a no nit policy ... for something that isn't an actual health issue. .. you put the fear of no child care into parents who can't afford to be out of work for 7 to 10 days or more in some cases.

I'm glad you care more about your couch than the job security of the parents of the kids you supposedly "care for"

And yes ... I'm aware there won't be one person on this site to actually agree with me.

Just remember, I never said don't involve a doctor if you're really that worried. You should only require a safe to return to school note.

Point is ... you have your view ... the parent has theirs ...
Provide a third party trained point of view if the provider and parents can't agree. Logical people find ways to come to a conclusion that's fair to both sides.

When you completely disregard science and logic I don't want my children being "cared" for by you anyway.

I actually did switch daycares due to this.
They would not take anything other than their untrained eyes perception of no nits or anything in the hair.
I offered to them to take pictures of my children and we would enlarge them and compare it to photos online. I offered to get a no risk statement from my doctor. I offered to go to a doctor of their choosing.

Every attempt to meet in the middle was met with ignorance.

The new daycare when asked about they're policy on lice was quick and to the point -- we want a doctor note saying safe to return. They also provide information on where to get a free inspection and removal for a small fee. If you go to that inspection, they will take that statement as sufficient. Basically, the provide two ways to mitigate the battle of ignorance vs science.

Comment all you want. Science can't be argued. It can be proven wrong with further science. You will amaze me if you actually find something that goes against "my" science.
Science and logic 11:26 PM 04-21-2017
And I did have a professional come to my house .... and did the shampoo again that night, and again the next day ....

And went out and bought a dyson hepa filter vacuum ... and switched the kids bedroom to a room that was barely exposed and thoroughly cleaned first, away from all their toys, bedding etc.

And I still had to walk out of daycare with my kids in tears ... kids who had been through torture. .. especially the one with cradle cap.

And for whatever it's worth, even though the daycare wasn't going to accept it, I still brought them to a doctor who low and behold found nothing. The daycare director insisted she knew more because she had been a hair dresser for 30 years. --- completely ignorant

I am already out of work due to injury, typically this would have very likely put my job at high risk .... because lice isn't protected under the ADA laws ... or from ignorance
Josiegirl 03:21 AM 04-22-2017
S n L, There are always 2 sides to the story.

And there are tons of ways to be proactive about catching lice. Tea Tree Oil as suggested above, keeping everybody's things separated, which is usually required by daycare regs. now, keeping little girls' hair close to the head such as braids, etc., not sharing combs, brushes, etc.

Just as you have mentioned in your post about risking your job by losing work(where is your child care back up by the way), we certainly risk our job too. How many parents do you think would enroll if the lice secret got out?? And believe me, parents talk, to everyone they know. It wouldn't take long to get a reputation and it's scary how fast a reputation(whether unfounded or not) can bring down a daycare business.

Having said that, I also see the point from a parent's POV. My dd had lice for 6 weeks. SIX WEEKS!? She got it from school. I was ignorant on how to thoroughly pick nits and she had long thick hair. I tried every single method on the market, from mayo to RID to prescriptions from her pedi. I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. The cars, car seats, bagged up all material things including headphones. It was a 6 week long nightmare of picking every single nit out of her hair. She ended up being out of school for about a week, IIRC. I felt like an absolute failure. Then finally, after a couple night of searching for nits and finding nothing, I felt relief. I felt even more relief when a couple years later, my own midwife told me of her same nightmare. So I knew it wasn't only me.
I do see both sides. BUT having gone through that, I DO NOT want to ever go through it again. I will do whatever I can to avoid it, I will also try to work with the dcf on giving advice, etc. BUT if it means losing 1 family versus 6 families, then so be it. Call me cold, ignorant, selfish by looking out for my own skin rather than a dcf's, I don't care. As in most stories, there are 2 sides and more than meets the eye.
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 04-22-2017
Well that kid who has head lice and an itchy head has had head lice for four weeks already.

By you being ignorant, you encourage your customers to not even tell you if they noticed head lice on their kid while not at daycare.
So ... by you having a no nit policy ... for something that isn't an actual health issue. .. you put the fear of no child care into parents who can't afford to be out of work for 7 to 10 days or more in some cases.

I'm glad you care more about your couch than the job security of the parents of the kids you supposedly "care for"

And yes ... I'm aware there won't be one person on this site to actually agree with me.

Just remember, I never said don't involve a doctor if you're really that worried. You should only require a safe to return to school note.

Provide a third party trained point of view if the provider and parents can't agree. Logical people find ways to come to a conclusion that's fair to both sides.

When you completely disregard science and logic I don't want my children being "cared" for by you anyway.

They would not take anything other than their untrained eyes perception of no nits or anything in the hair.
I offered to them to take pictures of my children and we would enlarge them and compare it to photos online. I offered to get a no risk statement from my doctor. I offered to go to a doctor of their choosing.

The new daycare when asked about they're policy on lice was quick and to the point -- we want a doctor note saying safe to return. They also provide information on where to get a free inspection and removal for a small fee. If you go to that inspection, they will take that statement as sufficient. Basically, the provide two ways to mitigate the battle of ignorance vs science.

Comment all you want. Science can't be argued. It can be proven wrong with further science. You will amaze me if you actually find something that goes against "my" science.
And I did have a professional come to my house .... and did the shampoo again that night, and again the next day ....

And went out and bought a dyson hepa filter vacuum ... and switched the kids bedroom to a room that was barely exposed and thoroughly cleaned first, away from all their toys, bedding etc.

And I still had to walk out of daycare with my kids in tears ... kids who had been through torture. .. especially the one with cradle cap.

And for whatever it's worth, even though the daycare wasn't going to accept it, I still brought them to a doctor who low and behold found nothing. The daycare director insisted she knew more because she had been a hair dresser for 30 years. --- completely ignorant

I am already out of work due to injury, typically this would have very likely put my job at high risk .... because lice isn't protected under the ADA laws ... or from ignorance
So you had a bad experience when your kids got lice...

What does that have to do with SELF employed daycare providers that can make whatever rules they want for THEIR businesses? what is your point?

They're your kids so it's YOUR life issue to deal with not mine.

Like every other entitled parent you think you are going to educate, change or convince me that you are right.... but guess what?

They're YOUR kids!

Stay home and care for them (and the lice) in whatever way you choose (based on science, logic or just plain blind ignorance) I don't have a preference because the ONLY thing that matters to me is that you/your children do not enter my house.

It's that simple... so simple that science and logic aren't even required
debbiedoeszip 09:09 AM 04-22-2017
Ditto.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:38 AM 04-22-2017

Here is my science and logic. Bugs are gross and I don't want them in my home. People spend millions every year just trying to get rid of them or keep the out. If you ask any person whether they would actively invite them into their home, they would say no. It is not rocket science, but it is common sense.

Second thing, as you pointed out, bugs are expensive to get rid of once in your home. I don't have hundreds of dollars to buy new vacuums and have my carpets professionally cleaned and I clean enough on a day to day basis, that I will not actively add more work to my load because YOU don't think lice is that big of a deal.

It sounds like you got burned by your last daycare and you are still upset about it. Maybe they did give you an extra hard time, but you did what any parent should do in that situation. You left and found a daycare that better fit your needs. That is the only real logic I found in your posts, because no matter how many times you say it, lice are gross and they are expensive pests to get rid of, so you will not convince me that they are anything else. I am gonna go itch my head now, since even talking about them gives me the heeby jeebys
Blackcat31 03:47 PM 04-22-2017
I think I'm going to ban yellow on Tuesdays.

Just because it's my business/house and I can.
Josiegirl 04:11 PM 04-22-2017
LOL
nannyde 01:47 PM 04-23-2017
I think I'm going to ban yellow on Tuesdays.

Just because it's my business/house and I can.
Me too cuz the color yellow makes me sad.

https://youtu.be/P5wSH465fIw
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 04-24-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Me too cuz the color yellow makes me sad.

https://youtu.be/P5wSH465fIw
"Mamby Pamby Land!!"

Priceless!
momofsix 11:43 AM 04-24-2017

I once took one of my daughters to the Dr. for an extremely itchy scalp with tiny white flecks in her hair. She was only about a year and a half old. He said it was cradle cap and told me to use a dandruff shampoo.
A couple of days (not four weeks) later ALL of my daughters had lice. They have thick, curly, long hair.
I was furious and won't ever trust a Dr's opinion about lice. I now know what the nits and the bugs look like and no one can tell me different. I also never want to deal with that again.
Rockgirl 02:55 PM 04-24-2017

*They're. When calling others 'uneducated' and 'ignorant', you'll have more credibility if you use the correct spelling.
Tags:head lice
Reply Up