Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Celebrating Holidays....
Abigail 08:48 PM 01-25-2011
I want to celebrate all children's birthdays on or near their birthday and have this in my handbook. I have it under the same category as holidays. Right now I don't know which holidays I would really celebrate until the time comes. Should I state which holidays we celebrate? Really, it could be a HUGE list or I could be as short and simple as to say Easter and Christmas, but I want to do things based on all holidays and ask parents to share any information about holidays they celebrate. How do I say that? This is what I have in my handbook:

"Birthdays and Holiday Celebrations
I celebrate the birthdays of the children in my care on or near the date of their birthday. I ask that you not bring presents for these celebrations. You may bring a treat for all the children, but please make arrangements with me first. We will also learn about each holiday and encourage you to share any information on a holiday you already celebrate."
SilverSabre25 04:55 AM 01-26-2011
I would phrase it, "we will learn about and celebrate many different holidays throughout the year" since you can't possibly hope to cover ALL of them (there really are too many for little kids--the major ones should suffice). You might want to also mention if you approach them from a secular or a religious point of view.
Abigail 01:30 PM 01-26-2011
I've actually never celebrated anything besides birthdays with children so I have no idea how to go about it. Any ideas? I really just plan on saying we'll have a tree up for Christmas, well go easter egg hunting for easter, making valentine's day cards....just basics I guess. LOL
DCMomOf3 01:38 PM 01-26-2011
I make the theme of the week as something that has to do with the major holiday. So for Valentine's Day we will to red and pink, hearts, and love.

I like SSs wording.
Abigail 01:41 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I make the theme of the week as something that has to do with the major holiday. So for Valentine's Day we will to red and pink, hearts, and love.

I like SSs wording.
ha ha, It took me a minute to figure out what SSs meant! I did change it, but didn't add how I would celebrate it. Mine now looks like:

Birthdays and Holiday Celebrations
I celebrate the birthdays of the children in my care on or near the date of their birthday. I ask that you not bring presents for these celebrations. You may bring a treat for all the children, but please make arrangements with me first. We will also learn and celebrate many different holidays throughout the year.

Maybe I should change the first sentence to "All the children's birthdays are celebrated on or near the date of their birthday."?
SilverSabre25 03:30 PM 01-26-2011
I would say "Each child's birthday will be celebrated on or near the actual date." It flows better and is more clear. The last sentence should read, "learn about and celebrate..."
Abigail 11:21 PM 01-26-2011
Thank you SilverSabre, that does sound better!
SilverSabre25 07:35 AM 01-27-2011
No problem! I'm a grammar nerd. I love proofreading and editing and stuff like that.
Tags:birthday, christmas, contract, easter, handbook, holiday
Reply Up