Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Petrified of Bees
FCCLife 11:07 AM 04-21-2015
It is spring and the bees are out in full force. My 4 year old daughter is absolutely petrified of the bees to the point she refuses to let go of my leg at the playground and becomes hysterical if I walk away from her. She will not play at the playground anymore because she is so afraid there will be a bee. She loves the playground and always has but now I it almost seems like torture for her while we are there. Any advice on what I can do or say to help her relax enough that she can enjoy outdoor time again?
smltwngrl920 11:12 AM 04-21-2015
have a "bee day" and talk about what bees do, do bee crafts, read bee books. maybe even let all the children dress like a bee and pretend to buzz around the yard.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 04-21-2015
You could get a spray bottle fill it with water and before you go to the park or out to play give her a spritz and tell her it is bee repellent and when she wears it the bees won't come near her. It works with my kids.
Shell 11:45 AM 04-21-2015
Spearmint, thyme, eucalyptus are supposed to keep bees away. Maybe get one or two of those plants and let her know the bees don't really like them?

I have to admit I am afraid, too. I just tell the kids we are in the bees house (outside) and they have important jobs to do, and will only bother them if they bother the bees first. I try to emphasize the positive in their "important job" with the flowers, but I might get some eucalyptus myself!
Sugaree 09:13 AM 04-22-2015
Has she been stung before? I like the idea of having a "bee day." Explain that a bee is just trying to gather pollen and nectar and as long as you don't bother her, she won't bother you. I don't know if she's old enough to understand the concept, but it's worth a shot. If there is a 4-H in your area they might have a beekeeping program. They might have someone willing to give an age-appropriate presentation on it.

We keep bees, so DS is used to them. He hasn't been stung yet, so I don't think he quite understands that they are capable of it.
Tags:bees, fear -bees
Reply Up