Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>How Do Your DCK Feel About The CACFP Changes?
AmyKidsCo 02:24 PM 10-05-2017
I've already been doing pretty much everything for years, except the sugar in yogurt thing. My usual yogurt brand just switched to 40% less sugar than before - I'm assuming due to the CACFP changes - and now my DCK won't eat yogurt anymore. I tasted it and can't blame them!
Blackcat31 02:53 PM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I've already been doing pretty much everything for years, except the sugar in yogurt thing. My usual yogurt brand just switched to 40% less sugar than before - I'm assuming due to the CACFP changes - and now my DCK won't eat yogurt anymore. I tasted it and can't blame them!
None of my DCK's have noticed any changes...

The CACFP requirements are still fairly under par to my own.

I still struggle with what the FP allows as nutritious.

As for yogurt.....I've always only served Fage' Total 0% plain greek yogurt
AmyKidsCo 03:19 PM 10-05-2017
I do Stonyfield Farm organic. I'm sure they'll get used to it eventually.
Leigh 05:07 PM 10-05-2017
I do not have one single child in my care right now who will eat whole wheat bread. Even infants throw it on the floor. They're not impressed with whole grain noodles, either. One 3 year old shouted at the table "this is disGUSTing!".

My kids will eat Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye-at $4.26 per tiny loaf or white bread. I'm going to try replacing as much bread as possible with whole grain buns.

I'm all for eating more whole grains, but the kids are very unimpressed. I get it-it took ME many tries before I switched to whole wheat noodles for my own family. I, too, hate whole wheat bread. If I'm wasting carbs and calories on bread, I want it to be one of those dense, delicious breads that I LOVE. I know they'll eventually get used to it, but when they get white bread at home, they are unlikely to want to eat it here. I used to serve only whole grains, but a few years ago, I gave up and switched to white bread and noodles because I was sick of throwing food away. I literally threw away 90% of breakfast (whole grain blueberry pancakes) and not one kid touched their sandwich at lunch today on whole wheat bread, though it DID get them to eat more vegetables than usual!
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 10-06-2017
The menus look boring and unappetizing to parents, now, so I will just make my own. PR still matters for business.

I won't be looking for all those codes on frozen or processed foods, so I will continue to buy whole and fresh locally. If they give me grief on my farmers market sourcing I will file religious exempt, church of *I will support my local farmers and serve what I want*.

I will continue to add fresh fruit, fruit butters and/or sprinkles to the yogurts and hot cereals. I will continue to add preserves, honey or jams to the whole grain breads. I will also continue to add sauces and cheese to the pastas and flatbreads. Childhood only comes once.

They can be anxiety ridden, obsessive hand washing, calorie counting, dieting robots when they grow up.
Unregistered 11:11 AM 10-06-2017
I was ahead of the curve and have already been doing many of those things.
My current group doesn't love yogurt anyway though, so that will be interesting if I get more kids that do. I like plain yogurt but I realize it's an acquired taste.
Josiegirl 04:41 PM 10-06-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I do not have one single child in my care right now who will eat whole wheat bread. Even infants throw it on the floor. They're not impressed with whole grain noodles, either. One 3 year old shouted at the table "this is disGUSTing!".

My kids will eat Pepperidge Farm Jewish Rye-at $4.26 per tiny loaf or white bread. I'm going to try replacing as much bread as possible with whole grain buns.

I'm all for eating more whole grains, but the kids are very unimpressed. I get it-it took ME many tries before I switched to whole wheat noodles for my own family. I, too, hate whole wheat bread. If I'm wasting carbs and calories on bread, I want it to be one of those dense, delicious breads that I LOVE. I know they'll eventually get used to it, but when they get white bread at home, they are unlikely to want to eat it here. I used to serve only whole grains, but a few years ago, I gave up and switched to white bread and noodles because I was sick of throwing food away. I literally threw away 90% of breakfast (whole grain blueberry pancakes) and not one kid touched their sandwich at lunch today on whole wheat bread, though it DID get them to eat more vegetables than usual!
What about whole grain pita breads or bagels/english muffins? I've tried the whole wheat buns and my dcks won't eat them. The noodles either, although I've gone 1/2 and 1/2 and they'll eat those. They have no problem with whole grain crackers but ya can't serve them every day.
I'm confused about what is whole grain and what's not. I'm sure the list is somewhere on the site. Quinoa, oatmeal, flax seed, couscous, corn meal, barley...? We do eat brown rice.
Baby Beluga 09:25 PM 10-06-2017
I have always served whole grain everything - pasta, bread, rice, oatmeal. I'm the bulk bin queen

We always do plain greek yogurt (usually store brand) and I add in organic vanilla, almond, flax seed granola and fresh fruit. My kids never mind. Occasionally I do vanilla yogurt with pumpkin for a "pumpkin pie yogurt" but otherwise it's plain here.

FWIW I am not on the food program. After joining a FB group made for DC lunches I was surprised at the number of providers who served white bread. Isn't that the same as serving a bunch of sugar? And especially before nap time.
Leigh 07:19 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
What about whole grain pita breads or bagels/english muffins? I've tried the whole wheat buns and my dcks won't eat them. The noodles either, although I've gone 1/2 and 1/2 and they'll eat those. They have no problem with whole grain crackers but ya can't serve them every day.
I'm confused about what is whole grain and what's not. I'm sure the list is somewhere on the site. Quinoa, oatmeal, flax seed, couscous, corn meal, barley...? We do eat brown rice.
Thanks-I did order WW pitas and english muffins. I don't think they'll find the muffins to be a lot different than the white ones! My kids love whole grain, multi grain crackers, for sure!
Mom2Two 04:39 PM 10-23-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:

What about corn or whole wheat tortillas?

I do think it would be hard to sell kids on something you hate yourself though.

All my kids love my rolls. Here's the recipe just in case you turn into a whole wheat maniac like me:

3 T sugar
3/4 salt
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
3 C ww flour (I substitute 2 T gluten flour for 2 T of flour)
1/4 C butter (I use canola oil)
1/2 C water (if white flour) or 1/2 C + 2 T Water for WW flour (fiber soaks up water)
2 eggs

Mix, knead, rise (I use bread maker) divide dough into 12 parts (I just use a knife), rise on cookie sheet, bake 12 minutes or so.
Mom2Two 04:45 PM 10-23-2017
My kids haven't noticed anything. My family has switched to Yoplait light to make it easier for all, but for dck I usually only put it in smoothies anyway. And really, the reduced sugar kind seems sweet enough anyway.

I haven't found it too rough. I began trying to follow it over the Summer so that I wouldn't be panicking on September 30th.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 10-29-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I serve plain yogurt with frozen berries thawed and mixed in, that way the juice from then mixes in a lot too. The kids love it! You could always blend it with berries, my DD likes it better that way.
BumbleBee 01:37 PM 10-29-2017
The only thing my dck's are slightly upset about is not being able to have their beloved raisin bran, fruity cheerios, and cinnamon life cereal at breakfast. Otherwise we haven't had to change anything, just the cereals.

They also miss their special k with strawberries. Which is funny because I can buy special k and dried strawberries separately and serve that with milk and it's claimable. But the box of special k with strawberries is a no go.
Tags:cacfp
Reply Up