Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Do You Pay Your Helper?
Unregistered 05:25 PM 04-11-2010
I live in Minnesota in Sibley county and I am looking at getting a helper and I am just wondering how much I should pay them!? How often does everyone use a helper and how many kids do you care for!? I am trying to justify getting one, I know that it would be beneficial for not only myself, but also the children in my care!! Thanks : )
MT Momma 09:32 PM 04-11-2010
I think I am more generous than most. I have a good friend that I have work with me for 2 hrs a day. She helps with the babies (an 12 month old and a 4 month old) while I do preschool with the rest of the kids. (5 kids ages 2-5).

I pay her $10 and hour. This is $100 a week. I justified this by picking up one extra full time kid and that covers her pay.

It is worth every penny to have the help.
MarinaVanessa 10:43 AM 04-12-2010
My sister is my helper and I pay her $9 an hour (Southern CA). She's 18 and has a part-time job in the evenings but I pay her more than what she is getting at her other job so it's worth it to her to help out in the mornings.
emosks 10:59 AM 04-12-2010
My assistant happens to be my best friend and we formed the daycare together. The license is under my name since it's my house and our business is in my name but we split everything 50/50. That's income and expenses. We take our weekly income and keep 20% in the business account for groceries/supplies. Then the rest gets split evenly. We are both here the same amount of hours give or take a half hour and do the same amount of work.

If I were to hire someone else in I would most likely pay them $8 an hour.
Unregistered 04:57 PM 04-12-2010
I pay my assistant $8 an hour also. She works around 32-37 hours a week. I have a large home daycare (where you're allowed more than 12 children, but no more than 16 at one time), so there's no way I could do it without her! Each morning when she walks in, I just feel such a relief, like I can relax a little now lol. I have found that we pretty much share responsibilites 50/50. Sometimes I think she takes on more than her half, though! I would love to be able to pay her more, but I can't afford it financially. It is so nice to be able to take my own kids to their appointments during the day, or leave the house early sometimes if I have something else I need to do, or would like to do. I can just leave her in charge during slower times of the day while I get some house cleaning done, etc etc. And she's never late and never calls in or asks for a day off.
If you can find someone like that and if you can POSSIBLY afford it, pay them MORE than I do. You'll want them to stick around for while (I had to go through several assistants before I found someone like that. I'm sure I would have to again if she ever left because she needed a higher paying job).
Tags:assistant, helper, pay
Reply Up