Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Remind Parents...
coolconfidentme 06:35 AM 11-21-2013
...you will be closed for the holidays? I posted on Check In Kids one month before Thanksgiving. I really don't think I should repost it, but BFF thinks I should. I don't live in my DC house & really don't care if they forgot. Maybe I'm cold, but they are all grown @$$ adults, right?

Do you remind parents?
Brooksie 06:36 AM 11-21-2013
I remind them but that's because I don't want any one showing up to my house. I sent a letter home and put it on the take home sheets.
Unregistered 06:48 AM 11-21-2013
I used to send home a holiday letter at the beginning of each year with all my holidays off. It worked for 2 years. Then on my 3rd Thanksgiving a parent tried to drop off her child on thanksgiving morning and insisted that I take her since I didn't give her any notice. I said I gave you notice 11 months ago! She said that was too much notice and how was she suppose to remember that. She didn't make it to Christmas here! I have since posted my days off on my door for the parents to see everyday! It works really well!
SSWonders 06:54 AM 11-21-2013
I tell them about a month before, the week before and the week of. People "forget". I'd rather tell them too many times than have someone show up on my doorstep on a day when I'm supposed to be closed.
SSWonders 06:56 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I used to send home a holiday letter at the beginning of each year with all my holidays off. It worked for 2 years. Then on my 3rd Thanksgiving a parent tried to drop off her child on thanksgiving morning and insisted that I take her since I didn't give her any notice. I said I gave you notice 11 months ago! She said that was too much notice and how was she suppose to remember that. She didn't make it to Christmas here! I have since posted my days off on my door for the parents to see everyday! It works really well!

I am amazed that anyone would think it was ok to drop off their child on Thanksgiving day. Really?
sally 07:00 AM 11-21-2013
I reminded my families on the first of November that I'm closed Thanksgiving and the day after. I had one mom say "I figured that". Shes been here a couple years and I'm always closed. Last year she was upset I wouldn't take just her kids for both of those days.
coolconfidentme 07:03 AM 11-21-2013
I'm just so tired of coddling parents. I'm thankful I don't live here & If I did & a had parent show up...., I think I would just say, "Seriously?!?" (arms folded with a mom look)
Unregistered 07:04 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:

I am amazed that anyone would think it was ok to drop off their child on Thanksgiving day. Really?
She worked at Kum N Go and figured since she had to work I also had to.
CedarCreek 07:05 AM 11-21-2013
She worked at Kum N Go and figured since she had to work I also had to.
...that's a fun name for a store.
Cat Herder 07:10 AM 11-21-2013
This is going to sound horrible.

I remind them two weeks before the Holidays. Never sooner to prevent them from turning right around and giving 30 day notice to receive tuition discounts.

I give them a calendar at the beginning of every year. I know my Holiday plans for the next year by January 1st and they benefit from that.

I think it is rotten that I have to wait until 30 days before a Holiday to see if I will have a full income for the next month, in return.

I may be revisiting my vacation policies soon. I am conflicted because I WANT to encourage them to take their kids with them on vacations (so few do even with two free weeks per family), but hate not being able to depend on a full check during the Holidays... KWIM?

Ahhh... First World Problems, I know....
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
...you will be closed for the holidays? I posted on Check In Kids one month before Thanksgiving. I really don't think I should repost it, but BFF thinks I should. I don't live in my DC house & really don't care if they forgot. Maybe I'm cold, but they are all grown @$$ adults, right?

Do you remind parents?
I am the same.

I don't live here. I am not reminding parents of days I am closed.

They are all given this information in several formats.

They are all adults.

I WILL however, remind them of odd days off or personal days in which I am closed but holidays? Nope. They don't randomly change from year to year so no reminder is given.

The day is blacked out on the sign in/out sheet as well.
jenboo 07:14 AM 11-21-2013
I have only been open a couple months and have had one paid holiday so far. I give families 3 copies of all the days im closed. For veterans day, I reminded parents. "One parent was like oh crap! you're closed?" I said yes. Then she said she better get that paper out.
Everyone will be reminded for thanks giving/ black friday because they pay weekly and wont be paying their normal amount.
I also have a big calendar in my daycare room that has the days off. Ill probably post a notice on the door as well. Im not going to talk to each parent and remind them. how annoying. If they dont read any of the notices, too bad for them
Unregistered 08:01 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:

Agree! I think they are mostly just in the Midwest. They are a pretty big chain here! I will talk to someone about it and they are shocked by the name. I forget that not everyone knows it is a gas station!
Great Beginnings 08:14 AM 11-21-2013
Unfortuantely yes... Parent's tend to me more stupid than use common sense. I too have had a parent show up with a 3 year old at Thanksgiving because she had to work at Walmart.

Then I have those parents that want to abuse Black Friday and tell me they are working only to see on facebook about their awesome bargains they got. So for the last 2 years I have decided to close the day after as well.
thetoddlerwhisper 08:34 AM 11-21-2013
i remind them everyday 2 weeks prior. and still have ones who seem to think we should be open
MotherNature 09:21 AM 11-21-2013
I sent home a letter a few weeks ago since I'm using my vacation days at the end o the year. I'll be taking Thanksgiving week off & Xmas week. So yes, I stated my paid vacation weeks & the holidays I was closed for for the next month. If they show up...not on me. I'm closed. Not watching your kids. I might consider it for double pay, but not likely.
Brooksie 09:24 AM 11-21-2013
RIGHT?! I was just about to ask what kind of services they provided. Good lord.
TwinKristi 09:26 AM 11-21-2013
I sent home a letter with the upcoming paid and unpaid days in Nov & Dec a couple weeks ago. I don't usually close for as long as I am this year but I only have 1 DCB T-W-Th and with the holidays falling in a Weds it kinda leaves 1 day here and 1 day there that he would even come so I just closed completely after Dec 23 through Jan 6th when school starts up again.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 11-21-2013
We have gas stations/convenience stores around her called "Pump and Munch"

Seriously.

Cat Herder 09:40 AM 11-21-2013
OT, but this was one we happened upon while driving through NC last year...

The kids laughed for hours .
Attached: go go yaki.jpg (70.2 KB) 
MotherNature 09:48 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have gas stations/convenience stores around her called "Pump and Munch"

Seriously.

Sugar Magnolia 10:17 AM 11-21-2013
Omg! So which is funnier? Kum n Go, Pump and.Munch or Go Go Yak?
Pump and Munch gets my vote! LMAO!
dalman 10:24 AM 11-21-2013
I did up a letter two weeks ago with monthly calendars going back to October, stating three personal days and four vacation days were used that month. November and December, is addressed each day off as either, holiday as per contract, or vacation day. I passed them out at pick up time and not one word was said. I am taking off the last two weeks of the year but hey, the high school kids are off too, so a sitter shouldn't be hard for them to find. And, hey, they signed the contract. In the past, I have always had substitutes running the daycare while I am on vacation, but I am done with that. The parents are spoiled and don't appreciate it. Essentially they have gotten away without paying me for my vacation, but I'm done with that. They can still have access to my substitutes, but it will be in their home and they will still pay me. Who else works twenty seven years at the same job and still only gets two weeks vacation? Just daycare providers. Imagine how they would scream if I took five weeks vacation like a person would get after twenty seven years. But I digress. Forgive me for my rant. But I feel better.
snbauser 10:36 AM 11-21-2013
I send home a list once a year with all of the closures and I put it in the monthly newsletter. That's it.
melilley 10:39 AM 11-21-2013
At first I thought it was a joke!
melilley 10:40 AM 11-21-2013
I don't remind them, but I do put closed days in my monthly newsletter and I also have a calendar in the daycare room with the closed days written on it. And in my phb, it also states all the days that I am closed for the year.
Unregistered 10:46 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
At first I thought it was a joke!
http://www.kumandgo.com

Really not a joke The Midwest is just really weird lol
coolconfidentme 11:02 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by dalman:
I did up a letter two weeks ago with monthly calendars going back to October, stating three personal days and four vacation days were used that month. November and December, is addressed each day off as either, holiday as per contract, or vacation day. I passed them out at pick up time and not one word was said. I am taking off the last two weeks of the year but hey, the high school kids are off too, so a sitter shouldn't be hard for them to find. And, hey, they signed the contract. In the past, I have always had substitutes running the daycare while I am on vacation, but I am done with that. The parents are spoiled and don't appreciate it. Essentially they have gotten away without paying me for my vacation, but I'm done with that. They can still have access to my substitutes, but it will be in their home and they will still pay me. Who else works twenty seven years at the same job and still only gets two weeks vacation? Just daycare providers. Imagine how they would scream if I took five weeks vacation like a person would get after twenty seven years. But I digress. Forgive me for my rant. But I feel better.
They are spoiled..., so are their kids!!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:43 PM 11-21-2013
I post on door and it is on their monthly sign in/ sign out sheet so they see it coming up. For New Years Eve I have just asked them to let me know if they work. If I have a couple I will do it but for one, no they can use their back up. They all have family that can.
Thanksgiving is obvious but I also take the Friday. Christmas obvious, but I take Christmas Eve too. etc
jenn 04:58 PM 11-21-2013
Mine knew on January 1st that I would be closed Thanksgiving Thursday and Black Friday. Around the middle of the year, I remind everyone of the remaining closed days for the year. About a month ago, I reminded everyone again. Next Wednesday at pick up, I will just say "See you on Monday.".
daycare 05:39 PM 11-21-2013
I have a news letter that I post it in as a reminder, but like many others I make sure that I hand out a list of dates closed at the start of each year.

I also have a posted reminder as well as a reminder on all invoices.

I can not believe how horrible the parents are with communication these days. just the other day I have dcm call me to tell me dcg is out sick today. 5pm rolls around and dad comes to pick up. DCM never told dcd. Sad part is that this happens all the time with this family.
Leigh 05:53 PM 11-21-2013
http://www.kumandgo.com

Really not a joke The Midwest is just really weird lol
The really funny part is what the "men" around here call it (probably too raunchy for this board, so I won't share it).
Sunchimes 05:56 PM 11-21-2013
I put it in the handbook, and I reminded them this week. I am closing (unpaid) on Thursday and open Friday. I only have 2 families and both are off. But, since they are paying for that day, I told them they were welcome to bring the kids if they wanted to shop. I wouldn't be doing anything anyway, and I can't afford to lose 2 days of pay. Both told me that they would not be here, they were just going to hang out at home, but I think that when they talk to dad, and think about it a bit, they will take advantage of the chance to shop. I sure that neither will come if they really are just hanging out at home. Both of my families are crazy about their kids.
permanentvacation 07:51 PM 11-21-2013
I always remind my parents of days I close as it gets closer. People get busy and some things slip their mind. It's not that they don't care to remember. Everyone has times that they forget things. So I tell parents verbally and give them a note with the date I will be closed whenever I decide to take the day off - typically about a month in advance, then I tell them and give them another note a week in advance, then remind them the day before the day I will be closed.

I had a daycare child on Thanksgiving Day one year - a 3 year old boy. The mother told me that he would 'just be in the way' of them preparing Thanksgiving Dinner!!! Poor kid!!! He came in here crying something awful. He told me that his Grandmom had come to help cook Thanksgiving Dinner at his house and he just wanted to help his Grandmom cook! Tell me that wasn't just the saddest thing you could hear! So I gave him a big 'ole bowl of mashed potatoes and a serving spoon and told him that he can help me cook Thanksgiving Dinner. That boy stirred those mashed potatoes for the longest time and was happy as ever to help me cook! Now, why couldn't his mother do that for him? All she had to do was just give him something to stir for a while so he felt included in the special activities at his house!

When I did overnight care, I had 2 girls (sisters) overnight on Christmas Eve! It wasn't any wrongdoing on their mother's part though. She was a police officer and single mother. She had to work overnight on Christmas Eve. She brought them here at 10:00 Christmas Eve, went to work 11pm - 7am and then came here around 7:30 am Christmas morning to pick them up and take them home to celebrate Christmas Day at home.
Lucy 08:08 PM 11-21-2013
I didn't used to, but one Monday morning when we were about to leave for a vacation, a mom showed up. When my husband answered the door (he would've usually been at work), she realized her mistake and said "oh my god!", and rushed back to her car saying she had to hurry and drive out to her mom's, which was very much backtracking. I felt really bad for her. I'm sure she was in a panic and felt stupid, but there was nothing I could do. We had to catch a plane.

After that, I started giving out reminder notices a couple weeks ahead. I did that for awhile, then decided I'd just have a list of days off on the inside of my front door, and a few days before a day off, I write it on a bigger sheet of paper saying, "REMINDER: Closed Monday" or whatever.
Sunshine74 10:14 PM 11-21-2013
We post a note on the door, and try to casually give parents a verbal reminder at some point the week before. If we remember. Otherwise, they should have read the door.
Play Care 03:09 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I didn't used to, but one Monday morning when we were about to leave for a vacation, a mom showed up. When my husband answered the door (he would've usually been at work), she realized her mistake and said "oh my god!", and rushed back to her car saying she had to hurry and drive out to her mom's, which was very much backtracking. I felt really bad for her. I'm sure she was in a panic and felt stupid, but there was nothing I could do. We had to catch a plane.

After that, I started giving out reminder notices a couple weeks ahead. I did that for awhile, then decided I'd just have a list of days off on the inside of my front door, and a few days before a day off, I write it on a bigger sheet of paper saying, "REMINDER: Closed Monday" or whatever.
This happened to me also. So I have a three-way policy Meaning I tell parents at least three ways that I am closed. In the newsletter, verbally, and a sign on my door as it gets closer. And yet I still have had dcp's be surprised at a day off If I didn't live where I work I would be tempted to not bother, but I can't stand when I see cars pulling up as I'm getting ready to go
CedarCreek 05:55 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Omg! So which is funnier? Kum n Go, Pump and.Munch or Go Go Yak?
Pump and Munch gets my vote! LMAO!
Right?! I'm having a hard time deciding!

The pump and munch is a GOOD one!

I probably never actually contributed to the thread...

I do remind them of the days of closure in our monthly newsletter but that's about it. I haven't had one show up before but I have had parents ask that I charge half for those days even when they know they are PAID holidays. It's infuriating
originalkat 06:24 AM 11-22-2013
Kum and Go has always bothered me. LOL!

My parents get a yearly calendar each August. I send home upcoming closure reminders in my monthly newsletters. I usually post a reminder on the door saying :
"Reminder: We will close at Noon on Wednesday. Closed Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving."
Texasjeepgirl 06:27 AM 11-22-2013
That's the first thing I thought also...

Texasjeepgirl 09:32 AM 11-22-2013
I remind them...
constantly..
I send out emails... and combine reminding them of closing dates... and also hit on any other issues that might have recently been a problem...

I post it on the dry erase board on the entrance door...

No matter how much we would like these parents to be 'well trained'... and 'pay attention'...and remember... there is a certain percentage of the population that....well.. they just DON'T pay attention to certain things...

Annalee 10:13 AM 11-22-2013
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
I remind them...
constantly..
I send out emails... and combine reminding them of closing dates... and also hit on any other issues that might have recently been a problem...

I post it on the dry erase board on the entrance door...

No matter how much we would like these parents to be 'well trained'... and 'pay attention'...and remember... there is a certain percentage of the population that....well.. they just DON'T pay attention to certain things...
yep! I feel like making signs for these occasions like when dcp show up on my off day..... Just like the song says..."HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!!"
daycare 10:18 AM 11-22-2013
When these parents leave our DC and go to formal schooling they are going to get a rude awakening.

The school gives you one hand out and one reminder in their childs take home folder.

I can already see the number of parents that are going to take their children on in-service days, holidays, etc because they didn't read the handout or check their child's folder.

Oh well, they won't be my problem anymore by then....lol
Texasjeepgirl 10:28 AM 11-22-2013
I'm honestly not ever concerned about them showing up at my door...
if you've ever read any of my previous posts...
I live inside a 16,000 sq ft retail furniture store.... my daycare entrance is on one side of the building and is inside an 8 ft chain link fence with razor wire on top and a double wide gate that stays closed and locked nights and weekends... so they aren't going to get to the door...

I really just remind them for their own good...because I know they need to make alternate arrangements for their child....and allot of them put it off and then end up in a bind for care...
NOT my problem.. but.. I can't tell you how many clients thank me for the reminder because they let time get away from them.. and the reminder prompts them to figure out what they will do...

www.tammyschildcare.com

Atroya 11:55 AM 11-22-2013
At the end of the school year, I HAND OUT a letter with all 10 of my scheduled vacation days for the summer. I also remind them either by text or verbally the week before the day arrives. Since I take the days from Dec 24-Jan 1 off, I HAND OUT a letter around Thanksgiving to each parent as a reminder, with details of which days are paid and which are not, and a total due for each week. I emphasize HAND OUT because otherwise they can say they didn't see it, etc.
coolconfidentme 01:03 PM 11-22-2013
I mentioned it to a parent again today, "Don't forget we are closed Thursday & Friday next week." She said, "Friday too? I wanted to go shopping." I smiled & said, "Yep, visiting family outta town for the holidays." She screwed up her face at that, lol.
kitykids3 06:51 AM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I don't remind them, but I do put closed days in my monthly newsletter and I also have a calendar in the daycare room with the closed days written on it. And in my phb, it also states all the days that I am closed for the year.
This is all exactly what I do except my calendar is in the front hall by the sign in sheet. You see it right when you walk in the door.
misslori50 02:44 PM 11-24-2013
i just printed a sign to remind them that is going on my front door
jessrlee 06:12 PM 11-24-2013
Nope they are adults
blandino 06:06 PM 11-25-2013
I sent out an email at the beginning of the month with our holidays/personal days (closed w/th/f this week & December 20- Jan 2). Emailed out another copy last week. Posted a copy of the calendar by the sign in sheet last week. This morning when we mention a 2 day week DCD acts shocked and says he doesn't think DCM knows either. It was nice because another DCD walked in on the conversation and said that he had seen the emails.

But really ? At first I felt bad, like maybe they had missed the e-mails. But I sent them out 2 different ways (one through our daycare group emails, and one from my personal email account) just to make sure. And at bare minimum it was on the sign-in sheet for a week.
JoseyJo 07:33 PM 11-25-2013
One of my long term families -over 4 years between 2 kiddos- asked today how much tuition was for the week (I allow cash payments at drop off monday). I was like "uuuhhhh, well, it's the full price.... holidays are paid...." They always have been paid, maybe it has just been too long since July 4th??
Michelle 07:46 PM 11-25-2013
A few years ago I had a parent who is a nurse say " Oh, I just found out that I have Christmas day off, so it looks like you have a day off too!"
I was like
harperluu 08:05 PM 11-25-2013
Well she could have used her big girl words and asked you if you were closed. Too much notice. Now that's a laugh.
blandino 08:29 PM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
A few years ago I had a parent who is a nurse say " Oh, I just found out that I have Christmas day off, so it looks like you have a day off too!"
I was like
A friend of mine had a new DCB start today, and DCM said "Well, you won't have him on Th/F because I am off". Actually, she won't have him Th/Fr because she is closed. Good Grief !
Michelle 05:29 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
A friend of mine had a new DCB start today, and DCM said "Well, you won't have him on Th/F because I am off". Actually, she won't have him Th/Fr because she is closed. Good Grief !

a few years ago I actually took a family on Thanksgiving day.
It was back in my if I don't do what the parent wants, they will go somewhere else phase (parent worked at a grocery store and had no family, single mom, and kids were like family... but still shouldn't have done it)
I finally got a backbone and now parents would NEVER ask me now to be open on a major holiday.

Five years ago, I took care of one 5 year old little girl during Christmas, even bought her presents and stuff because her mom had a serious mental illness and was taken away by social services and the worker begged me to take her or she would have been placed in a group home similar to juvenile hall because there were no foster homes available. So I gladly took her and still would today.
Tags:funny
Reply Up