Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One Day a Week - What Would You Charge?
Mom o Col 02:54 PM 04-16-2014
I have agreed to care for a 14 month old one day a week. What would you charge? Should I charge what I charge full timers per day? Thank you.
cheerfuldom 02:56 PM 04-16-2014
No. I charge more for a one day a week because those kids are hard to take care of! A part time toddler could be really challenging.....
NeedaVaca 03:38 PM 04-16-2014
I would charge at least double my normal rate for the day.
butterfly 03:47 PM 04-16-2014
I charge my drop in rate.
Mom o Col 04:02 PM 04-16-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I charge my drop in rate.
What is your drop in rate?
Mom o Col 04:02 PM 04-16-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I would charge at least double my normal rate for the day.
This is one idea I'm considering.
Shell 06:34 PM 04-16-2014
Wow! I charge only $5 more than my daily rate...maybe I should increase?!
Little Buttons 06:44 PM 04-16-2014
I plan on charging $5.00 more a day for part time as well. I think for me it would depend if that child were taking up a fresh spot or squeezing into an empty space left over from another part timer. Does that make sense? Like i will have a part timer who will come 4 set days a week. Every day but Tuesdays. If i found someone who would only be there on Tuesdays i would just charge my $5.00 extra part time rate. Because with that slot filled and both paying extra i am making $25.00 extra a week for one full time slot. I do think the pp had a good point though that a child that part time has the potential to be difficult so i could see charging slightly more.
Lucy 06:52 PM 04-16-2014
One and a half times your daily rate for your full-timers.

Think about the grocery store. You buy a large quantity, a 40 ounce jar of something (totally making these prices up) for 18 cents an ounce, but you buy a small quantity, a 16 ounce jar, for 27 cents an ounce. ... 18 X 1.5 = 27

I charge weekly, but it breaks down to $27 per day for my FT'ers. For one day a week, I'd charge $40. ... 27 X 1.5 = 40 (approx)
SignMeUp 06:58 PM 04-16-2014
I've done part-time care for a long time. Generally most of my dcks are part- time. I do a two day/wk minimum because I find that one day/wk dcks have a whole different set of needs than kids who come more often.

But will you include that dck in celebrations? Birthdays? Special projects?
Mother's Day/Father's Day gifts? Most likely, right?
Will they require all of the same paperwork/documenting/monitoring as the kids who come more often? They will.

So those children actually cost more for you to care for. Or, they cost just as much, but provide less income.

And that's why I charge more for part-time care.
Laurel 08:19 PM 04-16-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
I have agreed to care for a 14 month old one day a week. What would you charge? Should I charge what I charge full timers per day? Thank you.
I have a 3 day minimum so she would have to pay for 3 days even if she doesn't use them. Of course, she would be free to bring her child for 3 days.

Laurel
Second Home 05:44 AM 04-17-2014
I charge more for kids under 2 , and more for part time per day .

(ex a 2+ dck would be 30 per day , under 2 would be 40 )
Blackcat31 05:53 AM 04-17-2014
I have a minimum of 3 days per week too.

I offer services for less than 3 days per week but consider that drop in.

Drop in rates are ALOT more than regular rates.

My regular rates break down to approximately $28-$35 per day depending on whether you are 3, 4 or 5 days a week.

Drop in is $50 PER day and ONLY IF space is available.

I do not hold spaces or reserve spaces for drop in's.

Payment for drop in's is due AT drop off in CASH only and they are required to be pick up an hour before my last regularly scheduled child. (I've been stuck working longer because of drop in before and it is never pleasant)

Drop in families can call the night before to check about available space.

Regularly enrolled families will ALWAYS have priority over drop in's.
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I've done part-time care for a long time. Generally most of my dcks are part- time. I do a two day/wk minimum because I find that one day/wk dcks have a whole different set of needs than kids who come more often.

But will you include that dck in celebrations? Birthdays? Special projects?
Mother's Day/Father's Day gifts? Most likely, right?
Will they require all of the same paperwork/documenting/monitoring as the kids who come more often? They will.

So those children actually cost more for you to care for. Or, they cost just as much,but provide less income.

And that's why I charge more for part-time care.
IME, I do not believe that part time children cost more to care for but they DO bring in less income therefore I charge them more to make up the difference.

ANY child enrolled here, no matter how often or how little they attend, are required to have the same paperwork on site in their files.

They also participate in whatever activities we have planned for that day.

If they miss something because they weren't here on a certain day, they miss it because they weren't here on a certain day.

I don't hold art/craft projects over to the next day or plan things according to who is or isn't present. I offer a certain set of services and some things just happen on certain days.

If a part time child misses out on something it is simply part of what it means to be a part time kid...kwim?
SignMeUp 09:48 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
IME, I do not believe that part time children cost more to care for but they DO bring in less income therefore I charge them more to make up the difference...
I don't hold art/craft projects over to the next day or plan things according to who is or isn't present.
Relative to income (of course that's how I figure it), part-timers are more expensive. Since I offer part-time childcare as my main business, I do make certain that each of my dcks does certain projects. These are usually the more expensive projects. So again, relative to income, part-timers are more expensive, and I base my price structure on that.
DaisyMamma 10:01 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
I would charge more.
For example if your weekly rate is $200 then I would charge $50. Also make sure they know that if a fulltime child comes along that they could lose their spot.

They could be really hard to deal with for one day, or a total jem. I say give it a try. Let them know that it may not work, that sometimes this age can't handle only one day per week.
TwinKristi 10:31 AM 04-17-2014
I charge $45/day for 4-5 days/wk so 2-3 days a week is $50/day and I charge $55/day for 1 day a week. If it's drop-in only I charge $10/hr or $60/day.
Reply Up