Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Influenza A
Unregistered 11:08 AM 01-30-2018
I just was informed that one of my 2 year olds has Influenza A! Are any of using different sick policies or changing them, based on how bad the flu season is this year? My own kids and husband had it over Christmas and into the New Year. Between all of them, it was in our house for 3 weeks. While my family was dealing with it, I let families know each morning who was home sick. I also told them that if they chose to keep their child/ren home, I would not charge them. I usually don't offer this, but figured since it was going on so long and had already been an awful flu season, I would give this as a choice. Some parents chose this option and others continued to bring their children.
I know this is not my problem, but I am also concerned about the fact that one of my little ones has a newborn(one week old) sibling at home.
I know this 2 year old already exposed everyone here yesterday, but would you exclude until all or at least most symptoms are gone?
MomBoss 11:13 AM 01-30-2018
As long as the fever has been gone for 24hrs, then they can return. Oh and as long as they can participate in all activities and is otherwise feelig fine.
amberrose3dg 11:13 AM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I just was informed that one of my 2 year olds has Influenza A! Are any of using different sick policies or changing them, based on how bad the flu season is this year? My own kids and husband had it over Christmas and into the New Year. Between all of them, it was in our house for 3 weeks. While my family was dealing with it, I let families know each morning who was home sick. I also told them that if they chose to keep their child/ren home, I would not charge them. I usually don't offer this, but figured since it was going on so long and had already been an awful flu season, I would give this as a choice. Some parents chose this option and others continued to bring their children.
I know this is not my problem, but I am also concerned about the fact that one of my little ones has a newborn(one week old) sibling at home.
I know this 2 year old already exposed everyone here yesterday, but would you exclude until all or at least most symptoms are gone?
When do the parents think they can bring the child back. Me personally I would tell them the child needs to be out probably a week. The flu is nasty this year. Kids have died when they were "better". My cousin's 11 year old son had a seizure when he was over the fever portion. You need to do what makes the best sense for you. Do not let the parents bully you into taking a child back that is not ready.
Country Kids 11:26 AM 01-30-2018
I would say for the rest of the week and see how he is doing Monday.

The people I know who have had this flu, its lasting a good 7-10 days.

I saw on the news last night where entire schools are closing, so they buildings can be disinfected. They are also doing sanitizing and disinfecting of the stadium where the super bowl will be held and asking people if you have the flu or getting over it to please not come. They are worried about a worse outbreak from there.
Unregistered 11:28 AM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
When do the parents think they can bring the child back. Me personally I would tell them the child needs to be out probably a week. The flu is nasty this year. Kids have died when they were "better". My cousin's 11 year old son had a seizure when he was over the fever portion. You need to do what makes the best sense for you. Do not let the parents bully you into taking a child back that is not ready.
I just talker to mom. They are keeping her home the rest of the week. Her two siblings (one is an infant) are staying with grandparents until she is better. They are a part time family, so that helps some. This is scary stuff!!
amberrose3dg 12:14 PM 01-30-2018
That's good . I hope no one else gets it.
AmyKidsCo 12:56 PM 01-30-2018
I only exclude for the typical things: fever, vomiting, diarrhea, unexplained rash, etc.

In researching influenza I discovered that you can be contagious 3-4 days before showing symptoms and several weeks after symptoms go away, so all of the children have probably been exposed anyway.

On another note, I have one who was out yesterday and today for flu, and no one here has it so he got it somewhere else. The point being that even if you did exclude until all symptoms were gone, they'd probably be exposed somewhere else.
Unregistered 02:43 PM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I only exclude for the typical things: fever, vomiting, diarrhea, unexplained rash, etc.

In researching influenza I discovered that you can be contagious 3-4 days before showing symptoms and several weeks after symptoms go away, so all of the children have probably been exposed anyway.

On another note, I have one who was out yesterday and today for flu, and no one here has it so he got it somewhere else. The point being that even if you did exclude until all symptoms were gone, they'd probably be exposed somewhere else.
I do see your point, however, I also take into consideration the fact that these kids are together sharing toys, eating, sleeping and playing together for 10+ hours a day in the same space. Most things I have read say that you are most contagious up to 7 days after getting the flu. Then it goes down significantly. I feel like we can cut the risk, if children are kept home during the most contagious time.
Country Kids 03:35 PM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

You can actually be a carrier and not come down with it. I think that is what happened in my family as everyone else is exposed to way more than me but I've been the only one who's been sick.
BumbleBee 04:02 PM 01-30-2018
I have 1 out with influenza A right now and my policy is the kid can return when 24 hrs fever free w/o the use of fever reducers and can participate normally. Granted I expect them to be out all week but mom doesn't think so. Time will tell. I would not be surprised in the least if kids baby sibling comes down with it just as the older sibling gets better. We shall see.
Jupadia 04:09 PM 01-30-2018
I just had one out early last week and late the week before cause of the flu. Thankfully my 2 still are good but she told me today her older one got off the bus sick today. Don't have any other kids right now till March so I don't have any other kids to worry about here.
Tags:influenza, influenza a
Reply Up