Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rash
MissJulz 08:03 AM 03-26-2010
So my 9 month old dk had a fever and was sent home on tuesday. She was out wednesday and thursday and was back today. The doc said they didn't know what was wrong "according to the parents". She now has little red dots all over her tummy and neck and I called the mom. Mom says she doesn't know what it is and maybe just sensitive skin. What should I do?? Maybe just allergies?? I wish I knew how to tell.
momofsix 08:05 AM 03-26-2010
Did she just get her measles vaccine? I know that can cause a fever and spots in some kids. If not, i would have mom pick her up and have the Dr check it out.
tymaboy 08:31 AM 03-26-2010
What does your policy say? Mine says any type of rash that we do not know what it is. One of my DCBs had a rash a few months back (forget what it was called) The parents tried telling me that it was bug bites They also said he had a fever during the weekend. It ended up being something contagious but I got lucky & none of my other kids got it.
Childminder 08:39 AM 03-26-2010
It's probably just roseola. Babies get a fever, no other symptoms. The fever goes away and then a few days later they get a rash on their torso area. No big deal, nothing to do about it. Just treat them for the fever portion with some acetaminophen or ibuprofen and the rash will go away in a few days on it's own. Btw they are not contagious during the rash just BEFORE the fever and during the fever and only to under twos.
momma2girls 08:52 AM 03-26-2010
You never know what it is- that is the bad thing about rashes, it could be something very contagious, you just don't know. I am pretty sure I have that in my contract as well on unexplainable rashes.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:29 AM 03-26-2010
it could be the virus coming out,... after the immune system clears an infection some kids get a rash on the sweaty parts of them, and their torso,.. little pin prick looking spots.
GretasLittleFriends 11:03 AM 03-26-2010
DON'T DISMISS THE RASH AS NOTHING!!!! GET IT RECHECKED!!

My son was about 16 months. He had a fairly bad cold and wasn't feeling well. He ended up spiking a fever 103.5ish and developed a rash (looked like small red bumps/dots nothing severe looking at all). I took him to ER (Saturday evening) because of the fever. They diagnosed him with Scarlet Fever, which is strep throat with a rash. They never did a strep test on him. They put him on antibiotics. Antibiotics worked for about 4 days. Rash did NOT get any better, fever went away, but came back.

I took him back to his pediatrician. Looked at the rash, it blanched, no new symptoms, was sent home and told to come back if new symptoms arose or current symptoms worsened. Doc told me he wasn't contagious, yes I got note. (Tuesday)

Took him to dc the next morning (Wednesday) and she was ok taking him. From the time I got him up and dressed, then the 45min drive to her house, his rash worsened. She strongly recommended I take him to the children's hospital (1/2 hour away) instead of the ER which was 5 mins away. I was young, single, naive, and fairly broke. Following her advice probably saved my son's life.

I took him to the children's hospital where he underwent rigorous testing to determine he had what was called Kawasaki's Disease (Rare, but if untreated fatal). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_disease His just started as a rash on his torso, and by the end of the day he had more symptoms Kawasaki's, but I would have just thought he was mildly dehydrated. Needless to say he spent the next couple days in the hospital being treated.

He was discharged Friday, back in Saturday morning for dehydration. They put him on an aspirin regiment to prevent heart damage from the disease, causing the dehydration. He had to be seen by a cardiologist shortly after he was better from the illness. They found his ventricles swollen, so we had to go back a few weeks later, continuing the aspirin. Swelling went down, was seen back a year later, heart seems normal. He will have to have a stress test done on his heart when he gets older if he wants to be involved in sports.

Today he is a healthy 5 1/2 yr old, and honestly I think it's mostly thanks to my provider for urging a second/third opinion. I was ready to dismiss it as a very bad cold...
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:17 AM 03-26-2010
wow,... what a scary thing to go through,... kudos to your provider,.. I think she needs a card in the mail, just thanking her again for urging you to go. thay would probably make her spring. =-)
TGT09 11:29 AM 03-26-2010
Yes, I learned my lesson on rashes JUST last week. I have a 15 month old that is sick all the time and breaks out into a small/unsevere rash every few weeks. So, when she got a small rash on her legs and belly last week, I didn't panic. Ends up, it got worse overnight and then spiked to 102 fever and had a severe viral infection. So even if it isn't as bad as above (yikes btw), it could very well be turning into something!

On another note, I'm not sure why parents so easily dismiss symptoms of a child that has already not been feeling good all in a week's time!
Michael 11:33 AM 03-26-2010
Wow, scary story but great outcome. A rash on the torso can be a warning sign never to be taken lightly. I would send her a card too.
originalkat 12:10 PM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
It's probably just roseola. Babies get a fever, no other symptoms. The fever goes away and then a few days later they get a rash on their torso area. No big deal, nothing to do about it. Just treat them for the fever portion with some acetaminophen or ibuprofen and the rash will go away in a few days on it's own. Btw they are not contagious during the rash just BEFORE the fever and during the fever and only to under twos.
I agree. My child had it when she was younger. That is what the Doctor said it was and if I recall correctly is not contagious once the red spots come up. It will go away in a few days if that is what it is. But I think parents should always get a DR. to check it out because like the previous poster said...you never do know what things are. They could be more serious than they look.
GretasLittleFriends 06:37 PM 03-26-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
wow,... what a scary thing to go through,... kudos to your provider,.. I think she needs a card in the mail, just thanking her again for urging you to go. thay would probably make her spring. =-)
She's no longer my provider as I moved 1800+ miles away a little over 2 years ago. She was my son's second mother for the first 3 years of his life. We keep in touch, exchange pictures and all. She was the one who was my inspiration and #1 resource when I moved back to my home state to start up my own in home dc.
Tags:rash, roseola, scarlet fever
Reply Up