Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1yo and Not Eating Food!
Unregistered 09:46 AM 04-13-2010
I just started watching a little boy who was 1 on March 31! I can not get him to eat anything! Mom said this has been going on the last couple of weeks! Honestly I don't know if this kid has had food, or what is up!! He won't let me feed him, he won't feed himself! He wants his MILK! He isn't on a bottle here, but a sippy cup and that seems to be the only thing he will take in!! This is the second week of him being here and I don't know what to do, if he is in the highchair he just cries unless I give him his cup! I haven't been giving him his cup, hoping he will eat something, but so far not working! Advice please!! : I
DBug 11:53 AM 04-13-2010
Has mom even introduced him to food at home? I could understand him crying for a bottle if he's still going through separation anxiety, but that's crazy that he won't eat anything, and he's only taking a cup. If he's filling up on milk, maybe he just doesn't have room for food. I think I'd suggest to the mom that she cut way back on milk (and anything to drink other than water), and keep offering food, at least 6 times a day (3 meals, 3 snacks).

For when he's at your place, what about gradually watering down his milk until it's just water, while making sure there's always something edible on his high chair tray to eat. For spoon-feeding, I'd try to get him hooked with something sweet (applesauce, bananas, etc.). I'd put a dab on his lip so that he can't help but taste it and see if that grabs his attention.

The poor kid must be starving! And if he's not, he's probably pretty constipated from all the milk he's drinking to keep from feeling hungry. Yikes!
Unregistered 12:22 PM 04-13-2010
The mom said yes he has had food and was eating fine up until a couple of weeks before starting daycare!! I haven't been giving him his cup until he eats something, but I feel like I am force feeding this pore child, but I want him to try it and see if he even likes it! He just cries and cries I feel so bad for him! I have talked to mom about this and she just says yes sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesn't! Well he is not eating anything here!! I couldn't even get him to eat applesauce!!! It is like he is scared of food or something! LOL I set it on his tray and he touches it like it is disgusting and won't try it, I hold his hands and put a bite in his mouth and he just screams and spits it out!! If I try to feed him off of a spoon it is the same scenario, not sure what else to do! I haven't been giving him his cup until he has gotten a few bites in, which have all been forced!! I don't know, very strange!! I have a child the same age that I can't get food to fast enough, I am just not getting this!! Please help!
grandmom 01:56 PM 04-13-2010
Assuming you are not dealing with failure to thrive here, I'd not offer the sippy cup at meal for a while. Make it a completely different time, with only a little bit in it. He will not starve before he realizes there's another option. Continue with the applesauce smear. At one he should be completely be feeding himself all fingerfoods.

He will not starve.
momma2girls 02:06 PM 04-13-2010
I agree he is filling up on milk!
He might throw a huge fit over not getting his sippee cup, but he will eventually learn to eat, then he can have something to drink.
Unregistered 04:54 AM 04-14-2010
No failure to thrive, he is walking and developing just fine! It is just something about food! Ahhhhh I don't know!! I think today and the rest of the week I am going to try and get him to eat and only put water in his cup!! If he eats some then at a seperate time I will give him milk! I am sure it will still be a fight, but I am going to win this battle and get this kid eating!! Mwahahaha
MN Mom 04:59 AM 04-14-2010
When my oldest daughter was 1year, this same thing happened. She only wanted milk ( I was giving her whole at the time) for a bout a week and a half period. She was a very petite baby..only 15lbs at 1 year, and I was worried about her not eating.

Her Ped told me that they will eat, when they are hungry, as long as they are not filling up on milk, junk etc. And as long as healthy children are not 1)loosing weight 2)dehydrated 3)lethargic / nearly unresponsive , their instincts will NOT let them starve to death and they are fine.

Maybe mom is not telling the whole story? I'd be willing to bet shes letting him fill up on formula / bottles at home or other junk, so he's not hungry for you.
Tags:1 year old, not eating, sippee cup, sippy cup
Reply Up