Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime Q. Crib or mat?
DCMomOf3 12:53 PM 08-09-2010
I have a one year-old who is very tall for his age. He is not developmentally ready to come out of his crib for naps, but physically I am afraid he is getting too big (and strong) for his crib. Any advice? I would love to keep him in is bed longer if I can find a way. He doesn't want to lay down until he is exhausted so I don't know if it is possible to keep him still on a mat for any length of time.
mac60 01:02 PM 08-09-2010
I wouldn't even go there. I have 2 yr olds that still sleep in a pack in play. Each child is different, some are ready to move to a mat at a younger age than others. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Golden Rule 01:05 PM 08-09-2010
I move mine to mats at 12 months (once they can walk and climb, it is more dangerous than helpful to have them in a crib IMHO).

I keep my youngest on one side of the room and sit in the floor between them. They are all usually out in about 10 minutes or so.... (that being said I only keep 6 with 3 being under 6 months. It will always be "work", and no two days are exactly the same Some days are just better than others. I also play the same quiet time cd, and use a boxfan for white noise everyday.)
JenNJ 01:17 PM 08-09-2010
I still have 2 year olds in pack n plays. It all depends on the child, IMO. If he won't lay still on a mat, why are you considering that? Is he climbing out of the crib? Pack n plays have a pretty high weight limit I believe.
DanceMom 01:34 PM 08-09-2010
I move mine when they reach the weight limit - I can just see that I keep one in there over the weight limit and something happens...not good.

I have them in cots and they know they are not allowed to get up until I am the one getting them up - I have lucked out and they have all listened. I do have one sleeping near the playroom however so I actually use my extra gates and gate her in so she cant move and I tell her I have a monitor on and can hear her every move
DCMomOf3 01:41 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I still have 2 year olds in pack n plays. It all depends on the child, IMO. If he won't lay still on a mat, why are you considering that? Is he climbing out of the crib? Pack n plays have a pretty high weight limit I believe.
I don't like transferring a child to a mat before they are out of the crib at home before and that is what is holding me back with him. He is not climbing out but he is jumping in it and shaking it so it shifts on the floor. I would rather the parents make the transition first, but in this case I really am debating.
Abigail 03:03 PM 08-09-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
I don't like transferring a child to a mat before they are out of the crib at home before and that is what is holding me back with him. He is not climbing out but he is jumping in it and shaking it so it shifts on the floor. I would rather the parents make the transition first, but in this case I really am debating.
I think talking to the parents about having him rest in a pack n play during nap time with discussing your concerns should be appropriate. It will leave you at ease knowing the child is still safe and lower to the floor and you're not transitioning him without working with his parents.
kidkair 08:30 AM 08-11-2010
I move my kids to mats at age 1. I had one who screamed and kicked and cried in the crib until she'd fall asleep. Once she was one I put her on a mat just like the other kids and had no problems what so ever. Some kids are great a following another kid's lead. Another thing I'm considering doing with the baby I currently have is moving his crib to be by the mats once he only takes an afternoon nap. Then he'll see that others are napping and make the transition to a mat easily.
Tags:crib, mats
Reply Up