Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think?
NiNi.R. 01:03 PM 02-24-2012
When one of my dcm's girls get a cold or cough she always brings me cold medicine to give them. It absolutely drives me up the wall! Especially for one who is gone most of the day at school. I just don't understand why she doesn't give the medication at home before they come and then to top it off I of course have to get out the form and have her sign it.

I thought about putting something in my health policy saying something like if at all possible give medication at home...or something. Not quite sure what to put. Does anyone have a policy like that or similar?
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 02-24-2012
If I am not mistaken, all cold medications for kids under 6 yrs old have been removed from shelves and Dr.'s no longer recommended cold/cough meds for kids that age.
saved4always 08:44 PM 02-24-2012
My understanding, too, is that it is not recommended that young children take cold medications. I would look up the recs online on a good medical website and let the parents know that you will not give cold meds based on the newest recs from medical professionals. Maybe even make them a copy so they will know this is real.
Meeko 12:35 AM 02-25-2012
I do not give meds unless it is prescribed and MUST be given more than twice a day. Two times or less...it can be given at home.

And most of the time, if they need meds, they need to be at home.
meganlavonnesmommy 05:06 AM 02-25-2012
I dont give medicine unless I have a Drs prescription. NO exceptions.
Its just too much of a liability.
renodeb 04:51 PM 02-25-2012
I hate it when parents "dope up" there kids b/c they think it will help. I have to have a doctors note for any meds given to the dc so thats a pretty good deterent for my dc parents.
I would ammend your sickness policy to include something to the effect of:
All non prescription meds must be given at home. Do not put any medications in your child's bottle or cup as there is no way to know how much they get if they dont finish it. Do not give any pain relievers to your child in an effort to mask any symptoms in an effort to bring your child to dc. Chidren must be fever free with out aid of fever reducers for 24 hours before returning to dc.
Hope this helps!
Debbie
littlemissmuffet 10:07 AM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
I dont give medicine unless I have a Drs prescription. NO exceptions.
Its just too much of a liability.
Same here.

Also, parents must inform me if they medicated their child with anything before dropping them off in my care.
Mom&Provider 04:19 PM 02-26-2012
I require instructions to be on the bottle, meds must be from the doctor - unless its something like tylenol which I will give after calling Mom/Dad or for teething if its that bad....otherwise I won't give anything.

I also agree with others that there is an age requirement in order to give OTC meds for colds and I just won't do it! If they need those meds and are able to take them, they should be at home to get better!!
Ariana 04:53 PM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If I am not mistaken, all cold medications for kids under 6 yrs old have been removed from shelves and Dr.'s no longer recommended cold/cough meds for kids that age.
This! I also had a mom bring cold meds for her daughter and said "give it to her if you think she needs it" and I told her that cold meds are not recommended for children under 6 and I do not give it.
Crazy8 05:20 PM 02-26-2012
I wouldn't allow any OTC meds either - I used to and changed my policy last year.

Just wondering ..... does anyone allow Benedryl in the event of an allergic reaction??? I had a parent bring a sealed bottle once (before my no OTC policy) and just wanted me to have it on hand in the event of an allergic reaction. I never needed it, but just wondering if anyone ever encountered a time where they needed it.
Countrygal 04:46 AM 02-27-2012
Here's what Mayo Clinic has on it:

Over-the-counter cold and cough medications in young children. OTC cold and cough medications may cause serious and even life-threatening side effects in children. The FDA warns against their use in children younger than age 2. The Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) has voluntarily modified consumer product labels on over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicines to state "do not use" in children under 4 years of age, and many companies have stopped manufacturing these products for young children. The FDA is evaluating the safety of these medications in older children.
Ariana 09:40 AM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I wouldn't allow any OTC meds either - I used to and changed my policy last year.

Just wondering ..... does anyone allow Benedryl in the event of an allergic reaction??? I had a parent bring a sealed bottle once (before my no OTC policy) and just wanted me to have it on hand in the event of an allergic reaction. I never needed it, but just wondering if anyone ever encountered a time where they needed it.
I don't allow it because it causes drowsiness so it causes me concern. I do administer things like kid Claritin and Allegro for summer allergies.

I do have a bottle of Benadryl in my first aid kit for emergencies. You never know when a kid might have a bad allergic reaction to something that is unknown to the parents. I'd be calling either the parents or 911 first however depending on the severity.
Tags:cold medicine recall, medication - children, sick policy
Reply Up