Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Open Too Long? What Are Your Hours?
NightOwl 01:10 PM 05-01-2014
My hours are 6am to 6pm. Parents can pick up and drop off within that time frame except between 11am and 2:30pm when the kids are eating/napping. If children are present more than 50 hours per week, their rate increases by $25, from $125 to $150.

But I've been reading lots of other posts on the forum where most of you have contracted hours, or much shorter operating hours like 7 to 5pm. How does it work with contracted hours? What if the parent has a dr appt they planned to go to after work? What do you charge for contracted hours, late fees, et? And if you suggest that I switch to contracted hours, what would be your advice on how to explain it to the dcfs?

Because i'm thinking, right now, they've got a pretty sweet deal going on and i may be getting duped.
Blackcat31 01:26 PM 05-01-2014
I am willing to provide care between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Parents are required to contract for the care hours they need within that time frame.

Anyone choosing to use ALL of the hours I am open pays a hefty penny for that option so most don't go that route.

I require parents to schedule the Friday prior to the up coming week. The parents choose the LATEST pick up time they need for the upcoming week and that is the rate they are billed. If a parent needs to run an errand after work then, they need to account for that when scheduling.

When I moved to contracted hours, I presented it to my parents as a benefit to them as THEY themselves could have more control over their child care costs since the number one complaint about child care is the price.

I basically give them the option of having shorter days (with smaller billings) or longer days for more money.

IMPO, it's all in how you present it to parents. You have to make them think they are getting a great deal and that they are the ones in control. That way, they can't negotiate costs with me as it truly IS up to them.
melilley 01:34 PM 05-01-2014
I was open 6-6. I never had anyone come that early, with the exception of a couple of times, but it was preapproved.
But after I thought it over I decided to that I didn't want to get up that early so I am now open 7-6.

I do have contracted hours and parents can't have more than 10 hours. I do allow drop off and pickups whenever, but I don't do any transporting so I am always here and if someone were to pick up during nap, the parents let me know so I can keep that child out of the nap room.

As for parents going to dr. appts, or anything after work, I don't mind as long as they are here by their p/u time.
My late fee is $1 per minute after their contracted time. I have pretty good parents and only one family has been late.
melilley 01:40 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When I moved to contracted hours, I presented it to my parents as a benefit to them as THEY themselves could have more control over their child care costs since the number one complaint about child care is the price.

I basically give them the option of having shorter days (with smaller billings) or longer days for more money.

IMPO, it's all in how you present it to parents. You have to make them think they are getting a great deal and that they are the ones in control. That way, they can't negotiate costs with me as it truly IS up to them.
. Smart idea!
josie2014 01:42 PM 05-01-2014
I was working 8 to 6.Somedays 8 to 8.Now I was supposed to work 8 to 6,but one dcm asked if could bring her daughter 7:30 I said ok...I shouldn't said that.Somedays she's knocked in my door 7:10.
I think best hours would be 7 to 5.You won't get overtired,especially in winter when gets dark early...I now definitely won't watch kids pass 5:30,just if the parent ask me too.
llpa 01:42 PM 05-01-2014
I have contracted hrs. My overall hrs are 7am to 6 pm. Parents can contract for up to 9 1/2 hrs within that time frame. They still pay a weekly fee and they pay 52 weeks a yr whether they are there or not. So for ex one dcf comes from 7-330 and another comes from 830-5. They just both happen to use 8 1/2 hr days. I like BlackCat's way of charging by pickup time. I thought there was another thread re this today?
katzan 01:48 PM 05-01-2014
I have a lot of single moms and parents that work in nursing and retail hours. I'm open "7am to 7:30pm". I only have one kid that is ever here until 7:30 and it's only once or twice a week, However, they aren't here from the full 7am to 7:30pm. I'm pretty lenient. I also babysit on Saturdays all day long - a 5mo old for a single mom in the mornings and in the evenings a 7yr old girl for a single mom. I'm not too strict yet, but will be when we are no longer renting.
BrooklynM 01:49 PM 05-01-2014
My hours are from 6:15am-5:30pm, but most pick up before 5pm, except Tues/Thurs then I have one that stays until 5:45 that I made an exception for. My rate is a flat $55 a day.
jenboo 01:50 PM 05-01-2014
My hours are 7-530. They can drop off-pick up any time within those hours but the kids cannot be here for more than 10 hours a day. The rate is the same regardless how many hours you use.
Annalee 02:15 PM 05-01-2014
6:00 to 4:30 for me but parents may not stay over 9 1/2 hrs a day.
TwinKristi 02:20 PM 05-01-2014
I'm also 7-5:30 but currently most kids are gone by 5. I have one starting next week who will be here til just after 5:30 because her mom gets off at 5:30 but she's very close to my house so it shouldn't be more than 5-10 mins.

In June I have one mom who's wanting to change her hours. Her mom currently picks up her son on W-Th-Fr because she doesn't get off til 8 and works an hour away. But she's moving out so she wants me to do 9am to 9pm on those days now and will pay extra so she can keep her mom out of the pickup equation. I'm not sure... he's been at my daycare the longest but do I REALLY want to give that time up with my kids 3 days a week??
Tdhmom 02:58 PM 05-01-2014
My hours right now are 7:30-4:50 but as soon as school is out that early and late family are gone so I get to go back to 8-4 and I can't flipping wait!!!!!
preschoolteacher 03:07 PM 05-01-2014
I'm open 7-5:30, but my preferred schedule would be 7:30-5.

If a parent has an appointment after work, it's not my concern. They can take it during the day or find other care. Don't want to sound heartless , but it's just how it is!
TaylorTots 03:08 PM 05-01-2014
I am 7-5 and they can drop off/pickup anytime within their contracted hours that are within that time frame. Although I do contracted hours, I will likely be switching to flat rate this fall when I switch over to teacher only families/school schedule. Taking only teacher families means I will keep most of my current DCFs and though I will remain 7-5 I will have kids 7:15-4:15 most days which is much more desirable.

I do 45-50 hours a week and then the normal cleaning and paperwork and shopping/planning.. I could never do 60 hours of work and all the other things too.
drseuss 03:13 PM 05-01-2014
I am licensed to operate 6-6, but my advertised hours are 6:45-4:30. I have BTDT with the long days, twelve hours, and I cannot and will not do it any longer. Unless I absolutely had to, I would not go past 4:30 again. I've got some physical limitations and plus I have two busy/active teenagers who need a mom. It was different when they were little, because everything I did within the daycare I was doing for them, too. Now, it's two totally separate sets of needs to meet. My current 9 1/2 hour days are pleeeenty long. It's like 5 pm here and I'm ready for bed! Literally, I could go to bed right now and be happy. haha
midaycare 03:22 PM 05-01-2014
I am licensed for 24 hour care but I advertise 7:00 a.m to 6:00 p.m. I only allow for parents to contract for 10 hours per day, or 50 hours per week, or the fees increase. In the case of nurses where they might work 3 12-hour shifts, I would charge a full week for 3 days. We have a hospital nearby .... I haven't had a nurse register with me yet, but I have had one call and was surprised I would charge her for the full week for only 3 days.
coolconfidentme 03:45 PM 05-01-2014
I am licensed for 24 hour care. (I have a staff.) Full time care is considered 25-45 hours, not to exceed 9 hours per day unless contracted otherwise. Daily care is only 9 hours as well.
NightOwl 03:55 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I'm also 7-5:30 but currently most kids are gone by 5. I have one starting next week who will be here til just after 5:30 because her mom gets off at 5:30 but she's very close to my house so it shouldn't be more than 5-10 mins.

In June I have one mom who's wanting to change her hours. Her mom currently picks up her son on W-Th-Fr because she doesn't get off til 8 and works an hour away. But she's moving out so she wants me to do 9am to 9pm on those days now and will pay extra so she can keep her mom out of the pickup equation. I'm not sure... he's been at my daycare the longest but do I REALLY want to give that time up with my kids 3 days a week??
Hmmmmm that's a hard one. The money would have to be excellent for me to keep her child until 9pm. And her child would have to mesh really well with my own.
NightOwl 03:58 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
My hours are from 6:15am-5:30pm, but most pick up before 5pm, except Tues/Thurs then I have one that stays until 5:45 that I made an exception for. My rate is a flat $55 a day.
Wow $55? That's fantastic! You're making BANK!
NightOwl 04:03 PM 05-01-2014
Also I should mention that I'm located in a rural area outside of city limits. Most parents drive into the city to work, so it's a solid 30-40 minutes or more in drive time one way. I feel like I have to accommodate that so that parents can reach work on time in the mornings and get back before closing. If they can't get to work on time because I don't open early enough, they would definitely term. They wouldn't have a choice.
LadyK8 05:31 PM 05-01-2014
I open at 7 a.m. and close at 5:30 p.m. I felt that those times worked best for me.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:31 PM 05-01-2014
I used to be open 7:30-4:30. It got to the point where I only had one family here at 7:30, so I changed my hours to 8-4:30 and stopped serving breakfast. It was a great change for my family.

I picked my hours, because that's all I want to work. If parents love my program enough, they'll make it work.

My program isn't good for single-parent families, I'll admit. Two-parent families make it work by having one parent drop off, the other pick up.

Dr.'s appointment? They can do what I do; take their kid along.
spinnymarie 05:46 PM 05-01-2014
Those hours would wear on me as well, we are open 7:00 to 5:00, and I feel like that is pushing it Parents can chose 9 hours within that range. I'm also working school year calendar, so off in the summer time.
daycare_jen 05:50 PM 05-01-2014
I am currently only watching for one family (3 kids) from 7:45 (really drop off is around 8) and I allow pick up to be as late as 5:15, usually it is around 5 though. I watch only teachers' kids, so I would contract hours based on the teacher's work day and their commute time. I allow a little cushion to their commute time, because I know teachers can get stuck on phone calls with parents at the end of the day or might have a meeting that begins first thing in the morning. But I won't work more than 9.5 hours, unless they pay an hourly rate for the additional time.

I agree with other posters, if they have an appt. they can take their kid with them or get family or a sitter to help with it. I used to watch my niece for my sister-in-law and her husband (both teachers) and it irked me to no end when they wanted to add days during school breaks (which I close for) so that they could MOW THE LAWN or clean house or something else that my husband and I take care of while we have our children at home...
Unregistered 08:46 PM 05-01-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
I cannot and will not do it any longer. haha
Would not, could not in a box? Could not, would not in your socks?
Not on a bus? Not if I fuss? Not with a truss? Not if I cuss?

Sorry the statement and your name made me think of that
Childminder 09:07 PM 05-01-2014
6am-11:30pm Mon-Sat, contracted hours apply. Dh is my assistant and our children are grown.
taylorw1210 04:50 AM 05-02-2014
Right now I am open from 7am - 5:30pm. Most kids are gone by 5:15pm.

I would like to switch to contracted hours (right now my daily rate includes 10 hours) to try to encourage parents to pick up earlier when they are able to, but am unsure of how to go about switching all of my families.
bklsmum 05:13 AM 05-02-2014
I am open from 5 am until 7 pm, Monday through Saturday. I charge more for kids here more than 10 hours or on Saturday. Anything over 4 hours is a full day.
josie2014 07:42 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I am open from 5 am until 7 pm, Monday through Saturday. I charge more for kids here more than 10 hours or on Saturday. Anything over 4 hours is a full day.
That's really long hours and days...
SSWonders 07:49 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
Wow. I couldn't do it. Wish I had your energy!
SSWonders 07:50 AM 05-02-2014
7 am - 5 pm here with an occasional 6:30 am drop off by arrangement.
SquirrellyMama 08:22 AM 05-02-2014
7:30am-5:30pm, there are occasional 6:30am drop offs when mom has an early meeting.

Kelly
mema 08:46 AM 05-02-2014
I use to be open 6a-5p. I had one child that came at 6 and no one else came until almost 8. It.was.horrible. When that child left, I changed my hours to 7a. I have a weekly rate for up to 9.5 hours of care. If you need the full 10 hours, it will cost you another $25 per week ($5/day).
bklsmum 10:47 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by josie2014:
That's really long hours and days...
Yes they are but I have a full time assistant and two part time assistants so we do ok.
melonieb 05:30 PM 05-05-2014
I am open 5:30am to 7pm 7 days a week. I have 2 families whos kids are here 12 hours 5 days a week. I only advertise Monday thru Friday and weekends are requested
Tags:contracted hours, hours of operation
Reply Up