Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Knew she wasn't contagious, but had no choice
LysesKids 05:33 AM 05-18-2014
I had to send home my oldest baby yesterday because she couldn't keep ANYTHING down; not even water… I know she has severe sinus drainage and she is teething (top tooth), but poor little miss kept throwing up everytime she had a bottle because of so much mucus in her belly (no fever).

She started doing the gag thing Friday, and I had 2 of my 3 here yesterday, so no choice but to send home (mom was not happy). By time DCM got here DCK had thrown up on the couch, her nap mat, myself (twice) and the floor. Off to the DR they went and now DCK (she just turned one) is on antihistamine & nausea med; of course mom is pissed she missed her shift & spent hours at the Dr for something we both knew wasn't contagious, but I was worried about DCK getting dehydrated. We will see how Monday goes.
TheGoodLife 06:17 AM 05-18-2014
Wow, it's not JUST about being contagious, it's about her baby being sick! Throwing up that much is dangerous, I'd think she'd be concerned about that
SquirrellyMama 06:21 AM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
Wow, it's not JUST about being contagious, it's about her baby being sick! Throwing up that much is dangerous, I'd think she'd be concerned about that

It is also about clean up. You would be cleaning up after the baby all day, and nothing else. What about the other kids? You did the right thing even if mom was mad.

Kelly
CraftyMom 06:29 AM 05-18-2014
Exactly! It's not ONLY about being contagious! Her kid is throwing up all over your house! And you're taking care of other kids on top of it! It can be hard enough when it's your own child. Another child's vomit is hard to stomach. I know I get super grossed out cleaning another child's vomit (or diarrhea). For it to happen over and over and the mom expects you to continue to clean up her child's vomit...that is not ok. And she expects you to do it willingly!

Not to mention IT'S ALL OVER YOUR HOUSE!

Parents don't realize what it is like to have a sick child in daycare. It's not home, where the child is (hopefully) getting lots of love and attention. We have lots of other kids pulling us in different directions.

This poor baby needs love and comfort. She is probably scared and wants mama! We do our best, but there is only so much we can do. And, for all you know she had a stomach bug on top of it, so it may have been contagious.

Bottom line for me, they throw up, they go home. And stay home for 24 hours vomit free.
Little Buttons 06:30 AM 05-18-2014
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:

cheerfuldom 08:11 AM 05-18-2014
ditto everyone else.

plus, you dont provide sick care. doesnt matter if a child is contagious or not, if they are too sick for group care, they go home.
daycare 09:15 AM 05-18-2014
In addition to what everyone else said NEVER let a parent try to make excuses as to why. You ALWAYS exclude for the SYMPTOMS.

We are not doctors and more than likely either are the daycare parents. This is why it's important to not try to make up reason why it coul be this or it could be that. BECAUSE you could me WRONG.

I had a mom last year try to tell me her sons rash was eczema. I said I don't care, it's a rash and they can't be here. I sent home parents threaten to term. Child ends up having HFM.

Always go by the book exclude for the symptoms.

I know others have the same rule about vomiting.

If it happens once and no others symptoms they can stay but we give parents a heads up. Vomit again go home.

So two vomits in one day bye bye

It's hard to stand firm with some parents but you have children to protect and a business to run.
NightOwl 10:06 AM 05-18-2014
In my policies, I state that children will be sent home if they cannot participate in the usual day to day activities due to illness and/or if they require so much extra care/attention that it detracts from the care/attention needed by the other children, whether or not the child is actually contagious. I also point out that sick children need the comforts of parents and their own home while they recover.
LysesKids 10:51 AM 05-18-2014
It was also my 6th day with this kid, the last 3 were whiny, crap days due to the teething … I normally only have her once a month, my other ones are here almost every Saturday (yes, I do 6 days a week, but only 7a-7p).
Reply Up