Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Anyone Use Playground Mats Under Swings?

It's my announced inspection next week, and it turns out that the one inspector now does the outside as well...and I know that there are two worn patches under my swing set. I thought I would have til Summer to move the swing set or put a mat down...but no.

So rather than move the swing set, I'm thinking to install some mats under the swings. But I've never done that before. Does it work okay? I'm assuming I'd have to lay them down in the dirt somehow. Is there a better brand? I looked online, and I couldn't believe how much they were and the shipping was ridiculous at this one company--like twice as much as the order. I can't understand it.

Any advice?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
It's my announced inspection next week, and it turns out that the one inspector now does the outside as well...and I know that there are two worn patches under my swing set. I thought I would have til Summer to move the swing set or put a mat down...but no.

So rather than move the swing set, I'm thinking to install some mats under the swings. But I've never done that before. Does it work okay? I'm assuming I'd have to lay them down in the dirt somehow. Is there a better brand? I looked online, and I couldn't believe how much they were and the shipping was ridiculous at this one company--like twice as much as the order. I can't understand it.

Any advice?
Does it need to be a certain depth or thickness?

I would check out flooring type mats at Home Depot or Menards instead of actual swing set mats. I've seen basically the same product sold as industrial or commercial flooring verses the cost they want for swing set matting.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

Okay, thanks!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

horse stall mats... our county YEARS ago.. like over 10... bought providers some (I have 3) and they still are in great shape. I need to buy some more and cover the area that is mulched because I hate the mulch. They are heavy! You need several people to put them in place. Wavy side down.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't see ones like I have but I do see these-
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
I don't see ones like I have but I do see these-
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...ck-4-ft-x-6-ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
horse stall mats... our county YEARS ago.. like over 10... bought providers some (I have 3) and they still are in great shape. I need to buy some more and cover the area that is mulched because I hate the mulch. They are heavy! You need several people to put them in place. Wavy side down.
Thanks for that advice. I wouldn't have thought of horse stall mats. I actually went ahead and bought some Home Depot ones for $20, but if they don't last long I'll look into the horse stall ones.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have used large pieces of indoor outdoor grass carpet.Keeps down the mud dries quick and blends in with grass.If I had woodchips there I would have bought brown indoor out door carpet.

Tags
mats, outside surfaces, swingset