Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Are Strange
Baby Beluga 11:09 AM 10-02-2018
DCG, 2 years.

I place plates on the table and tell the kids to "go sit in your chairs for lunch."

The ENTIRE class goes and sits in their chair. Expect this one child. I tell her again. She doesn't go. I've said her name specifically multiples times, made eye contact, etc plus the entire class has now left the classroom and is in the kitchen sitting for lunch.

It's not a big deal. I took her by the hand and lead her to the chair. But it baffles my mind. Especially since eating is such a big deal to most kids.

I guess this falls into the "parents do everything for their kids" category? IDK, even my 18 month old goes to his chair when I tell him it's time to eat.
LostMyMarbles 12:11 PM 10-02-2018
I had one of those. It was like he needed an engraved invitation to come to Meal Time. The one time I called him for a snack along with all the other kids, and he did not come. I called him twice he made eye contact, yet he didn't come. I can't force him to eat. So he didn't get snack. I told his parents that he's been doing this. And he missed snack time because he wouldn't come. The parents said maybe he'll learn by missing snack, and start coming. After the second day he missed snack, he's the first one in line now
Ariana 05:07 PM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
DCG, 2 years.

I place plates on the table and tell the kids to "go sit in your chairs for lunch."

The ENTIRE class goes and sits in their chair. Expect this one child. I tell her again. She doesn't go. I've said her name specifically multiples times, made eye contact, etc plus the entire class has now left the classroom and is in the kitchen sitting for lunch.

It's not a big deal. I took her by the hand and lead her to the chair. But it baffles my mind. Especially since eating is such a big deal to most kids.

I guess this falls into the "parents do everything for their kids" category? IDK, even my 18 month old goes to his chair when I tell him it's time to eat.
I have one like this too. Upstairs, downstairs, lunch time, snack time, bed time....she just stands and stares. At one point we were going upstairs for lunch and everyone was already up so I turned off all the lights to signal we are not playing here anymore...she started crying! She is getting better now after 7 months of being here and missing several meals. She is also my robotic monotone repeater kid, has a ton of vocab but cannot ask for things she needs or wants. Something is definitely not right.
Baby Beluga 06:35 PM 10-02-2018
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
I had one of those. It was like he needed an engraved invitation to come to Meal Time. The one time I called him for a snack along with all the other kids, and he did not come. I called him twice he made eye contact, yet he didn't come. I can't force him to eat. So he didn't get snack. I told his parents that he's been doing this. And he missed snack time because he wouldn't come. The parents said maybe he'll learn by missing snack, and start coming. After the second day he missed snack, he's the first one in line now
It took my own son 1 time to learn this lesson He wouldn't go to his chair, so we all started to eat without him. He discovered that when he finally decided to come, he got to eat (it was still within meal time.)It hasn't happened since.
Blackcat31 06:53 PM 10-02-2018
It’s like they’re void of the ability to pick up on social cues and/or sometimes direct instructions... it’s frustrating for sure!
daycarediva 03:37 AM 10-03-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have one like this too. Upstairs, downstairs, lunch time, snack time, bed time....she just stands and stares. At one point we were going upstairs for lunch and everyone was already up so I turned off all the lights to signal we are not playing here anymore...she started crying! She is getting better now after 7 months of being here and missing several meals. She is also my robotic monotone repeater kid, has a ton of vocab but cannot ask for things she needs or wants. Something is definitely not right.
Sounds similar to my 2yo dcg. She just stares blankly and repeats what is read in a monotone. She understands, because she can follow PREFERRED directions like nobody's business though.

IMHO a lot of kids are just picked up and moved. Parents talk and expect less than we do. I have 4yo's in high chairs at home.
Pestle 05:19 AM 10-03-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
IMHO a lot of kids are just picked up and moved. Parents talk and expect less than we do. I have 4yo's in high chairs at home.
YES. My most frustrating DCK would sit, flap her arms, and scream in rage because I expected her to get up and WALK to the toys she wanted to play with. DCM moved her everywhere she wanted to go. She had enormous thighs, too! Go figure. No courage, no curiosity, and no spacial sense. She'd crawl right off the edge of things. One day she was crawling on the lowest playroom step, and slipped and bumped her face. I put a note into Brightwheel about the bloody lip, and immediately got a "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN" from DCM. (Contrast that with the bloody lip I noted yesterday, which got a "Ha ha! That's my wild girl!" from that kid's mom.)

If you can't understand how your child could possibly bump themselves while exploring, you are raising a stationary child.
gumdrops 06:03 AM 10-03-2018
I'm so happy to see this post and to realize I'm not the only one who has kids like this! Some days it's the little things that make me happy! I have a few with selective hearing over here. Meal time is definitely not one of the times they don't listen, but mention rest time and no one understands what I'm talking about.
MomBoss 07:12 AM 10-03-2018
At lunch time i say "Ok everyone lets sit down for lunch!" And i have one boy who every time says "can i sit down too".
Well..yes..i did say everyone..
Miss A 07:18 AM 10-03-2018
I have an 18mo DCG who is the same way. She will stand and watch the boys go to the table, pull their chairs out, and sit down before she even thinks about going to the table herself. I used to take her by the hand and bring her to the table, but lately I have just been issuing the directions once, and serving the meal as if she was seated with the rest of them. Then I tell her that if she would like to eat she must come sit at the table, and leave it at that.

She is the same way about diaper changes, and getting ready to go outside as well. I know her parents do everything for her at home, so they are all in for a rude awakening in a few months when baby #2 arrives.
Hunni Bee 11:57 AM 10-03-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
At lunch time i say "Ok everyone lets sit down for lunch!" And i have one boy who every time says "can i sit down too".
Well..yes..i did say everyone..
Thats what's going to cause me to run screaming out of here. ALL of mine do that.

We came in this morning to our room. They know which centers are available early in the morning, which aren't. Doesn't matter though.

Can I go to kitchen? Can I play with the dollhouse? Can I draw? Can I play blocks? Can I can I canIcanIcanI???

At lunch - all asking for all the food. At the potty - all asking to go potty even though we are there for the sole purpose of going potty. All asking, all the time.

I'm going to start announcing "Everyone knows what to do!" and then ignoring. Before I go insane.
Tags:strange
Reply Up