Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bikes?
Unregistered 05:59 AM 04-09-2010
This is similar to a different thread, but I am just curious! Do you allow school agers to bring their bikes to daycare, if not do you have bikes that they can ride? I feel like I have all of these trikes and scooters for the little ones to play on and nothing for the school agers to play on! I am also on the fence because my children obviously want to ride THEIR bikes, do you allow your children to ride their bikes during daycare? If so what do the other big kids do or think, is this unfair? My daughter does share her bike, but it just isn't the same as having them all have something to ride, and someone always feels left out, so I am not sure what to do! Allow them to bring their own bikes, supply bikes for the older kids, or not allow my kids to ride theirs during daycare and have them do something else while the little kids enjoy the ride on toys! What does everyone else do in this situation! Thanks : )
Pammie 11:27 AM 04-09-2010
I have designated "Wheels" days in the summer months only. Kids are allowed to bring bikes, skateboards, scooters, rollerblades - whatever they want as long as they bring helmets & safety gear with them. We *walk* the wheels over to the neighborhood school lot (which is empty in the summer) and then they can ride around there for hours:-))
My own kids are college age now, but I still keep a scooter and a trike here for anyone that might forget theirs on Wheels Day. I never made my kids share their bikes with the daycare kids - and because this was their home, they were allowed to ride their bikes whenever they wanted - but usually chose not to because they would rather play with the group.
misol 11:36 AM 04-09-2010
I treat bikes like I treat any other toy/item we have here- if there isn't enough to go around then they will have to share and wait their turn. It's not unfair because everyone eventually gets a turn but they just have to wait. We have 4 bikes but all of the kids want to use the same tricycle rather than take a turn on one of the other available bikes.

Buying more and/ or allowing kids to bring their own would become a storage issue for me.
gkids09 11:55 AM 04-09-2010
We have tons of bikes, trikes, wagons, scooters, etc. that we have accumulated over the years..However, the kids want a certain few. We have 12 kids a day, plus some after schoolers, so we NEED lots of bikes for everyone to have one, but they always seem to want the one that someone else has...
Unregistered 12:15 PM 04-11-2010
I guess I am just worried because my daughter does share her bike, but mostly on "HER" terms! I will add a few school agers this summer and it never fails this is always an issue!! I don't feel safe having them bring their bikes or supplying bikes for them to ride especially if they don't have helmets and such! Do you think as a parent this is seen as unfair, as my daughter has her bike, but I don't have two wheelers for the other school agers!! I have tons of trikes, scooters and things, but the school agers are just to big for them now!! My neighbor is also a stay at home mom, her daughter and mine are best friends, well they ride their bikes together, how am I suppose to make it fair for the other school agers I have! I do like the Wheel day, I am thinking about going that route!!
GretasLittleFriends 09:04 AM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I guess I am just worried because my daughter does share her bike, but mostly on "HER" terms! I will add a few school agers this summer and it never fails this is always an issue!! I don't feel safe having them bring their bikes or supplying bikes for them to ride especially if they don't have helmets and such! Do you think as a parent this is seen as unfair, as my daughter has her bike, but I don't have two wheelers for the other school agers!! I have tons of trikes, scooters and things, but the school agers are just to big for them now!! My neighbor is also a stay at home mom, her daughter and mine are best friends, well they ride their bikes together, how am I suppose to make it fair for the other school agers I have! I do like the Wheel day, I am thinking about going that route!!
A "wheels" day sounds like a good idea.

IMO I wouldn't worry about being fair. Life isn't fair. This is your daughter's home. If she doesn't want to share she shouldn't have to. If they have bikes at their house they can ride them at home. You could explain that to them along with the fact that this is your daughters home and she can ride her bike because it's her house. Of course, I'd find a way to explain things to your daughter and make sure she doesn't tease/taunt the other kids.
momma2girls 09:26 AM 04-12-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
A "wheels" day sounds like a good idea.

IMO I wouldn't worry about being fair. Life isn't fair. This is your daughter's home. If she doesn't want to share she shouldn't have to. If they have bikes at their house they can ride them at home. You could explain that to them along with the fact that this is your daughters home and she can ride her bike because it's her house. Of course, I'd find a way to explain things to your daughter and make sure she doesn't tease/taunt the other kids.
I don't let the daycare children play with my daughter's new things at all- new bikes, kick scooter, ds, etc.
[email protected] 09:36 AM 04-12-2010
I have in the past,.. but this will be the first summer in 12 years that I wont have any real schoolagers!!!! Im so happy!!!! They could only ride them however when I was out there with them, and only three houses in either direction and if they went farther than that they lost them until the next day. I also required tennis shoes, helmets and long pants.
jen 09:48 AM 04-12-2010
I do let schoolagers bring their bikes and helmets. No helmet, no bike. I live on a cul-de-sac so I just let them ride in the circle.
MarinaVanessa 09:54 AM 04-12-2010
I have a rule, it's either everyone or no one. I don't have enough "big kid" bikes for all of the older kids, just my daughters' bike which we keep in the garage. If she wants to ride her bike in the yard she needs to share it with the rest of the kids or she can't ride it. This is the same with all of her toys. She needs to keep her own toys in her room and bring any out unless she is prepared to share. Her room is also off limits if she wants it to be but if she wants to play in her room with a child it's everybody or no one. I don't think it's right to exclude a child or group of children so if there are not enough bikes then they should at least take turns riding the ones that are available.
Tags:bikes
Reply Up